Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   06 SS Crazy Oil Consumption (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/06-ss-crazy-oil-consumption-59406/)

JeepGuy 02-20-2018 09:50 AM

06 SS Crazy Oil Consumption

Hi guys, I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS, with 132k miles on it. Ever since I bought the car, it has been going through oil like crazy. In 4 thousand miles, I had the low oil light come on, and checked the dipstick and no oil whatsoever on the dipstick. originally, I was told the valve cover was leaking and the oil was burning off on the maifold, so I had it replaced at Grismer. The car does not leak a drop of oil (I park it on a piece of cardboard to check for leaks) and it does not appear that it is buring it off through the exhaust (no white smoke). I checked the coolant and the oil, and it does not appear they have mixed at all. I am at a loss of what to do next, and I am not super familiar with this engine. Does anyone have any ideas on where to go next?

ChibiBlackSheep 02-20-2018 10:06 AM

LS4 engines with DoD are notorious for allowing blow-by when it drops into 4-cyl mode. You are probably burning through it from the exhaust, but can't see it because it's only when DoD activates and deactivates.

06mistreSS 02-20-2018 10:07 AM

^ Yeah common issue with the LS4

JeepGuy 02-20-2018 01:23 PM

I found a guy local who will diable the DoD feature for $150. Does this seem like a good deal? He said this should eliminate the burning oil when the cylinders drop? Any possible downsides to having this disabled?
Thanks

ChibiBlackSheep 02-20-2018 01:56 PM

Where are you located, and how will he disable it?

If you don't want to answer where you live, just let me know if it's close to my location or not. I can hook you up a little cheaper, and do a little more. But if he's using HPtuners to diable it, $150 is a good deal, since it costs him $100 just to hook up to your car.

If he's tuning it out, you MIGHT notice a change in your MPGs, some people report better MPGs on the highway, some report 1-2 mpg lower. Shouldn't harm anything by tuning it out, I just really hope this is the source of your oil leak and it's not a random rear main seal or something that just doesn't show when it sits.

JeepGuy 02-20-2018 02:03 PM

Unfortunately I am not near your location, he runs a tuning shop and he said he can disable it through the tune. I am not quite sure what tune he uses. I am not too concerned with the gas mileage, my jeep gets about 8 haha. I sure hope it isnt the rear main, those are pricey. Fingers crossed! From what I've been reading it sounds like this could be the culprit, I just want it fixed because it is my daily driver

SuperchargedMonte 02-20-2018 02:08 PM

I had a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the same motor. That is the reason I sold it. I really enjoyed the car and all of the options but the DOD on an LS4 eats oil. Good luck with the deactivation.

ChibiBlackSheep 02-20-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by JeepGuy (Post 709469)
Unfortunately I am not near your location, he runs a tuning shop and he said he can disable it through the tune. I am not quite sure what tune he uses. I am not too concerned with the gas mileage, my jeep gets about 8 haha. I sure hope it isnt the rear main, those are pricey. Fingers crossed! From what I've been reading it sounds like this could be the culprit, I just want it fixed because it is my daily driver

I'd go for it. If he runs a tuning shop you should see if he can give you anything else tune wise for the cost. But it is really easy to remove it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...397a845bae.jpg

bumpin96monte 02-21-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JeepGuy (Post 709469)
I sure hope it isnt the rear main, those are pricey. Fingers crossed! From what I've been reading it sounds like this could be the culprit, I just want it fixed because it is my daily driver

Can't be the rear main as the primary cause. If you lost over a quart into the bell housing, you definitely get at least a single drop on the ground.

I'd agree that it's burning it also.