Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/)
-   -   Guide: To remove the dash, HVAC controls, steering wheel buttons (6th gen) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/remove-dash-hvac-controls-steering-wheel-buttons-6th-gen-9608/)

mickey 05-26-2008 10:37 AM

To remove the dash, HVAC controls, steering wheel buttons (6th gen)

EVERY THING IN THIS POST IS DONE AT YOUR RISK!!! DO NOT BLAME MONTE CARLO FOURM.COM OR MOD-MICKEY IF YOU CHOSE TO DO THIS AND SCREW UP YOUR OWN CAR. OR SOME ONE ELSE'S.

[sm=signs003.gif]

THIS IS STRICTLY FOR REFERENCE ONLY!!

[sm=alcoholic.gif]

to get the dash removed.

1.take the side panel off the dash (one by the door on the end of the dash)
remove the screw.
2.drink another beer
3.remove the lower most panel on the drivers side foot well.
watch the wires for the trunk release.
4.when you get that one the next one just snaps out pull up on it. I recommend a pair of gloves for this or you will expect to cut the crap out of your knuckles. (have every stinking time on mine)
5.Drink another beer. get a band-aid to fix knuckles again.
6.there is a screw in the end cap, the one in the glove compartment
and one in the lower part of the dash by the gauge cluster you need to remove.
7.Drink another beer
8.now take your key off the key ring. (this is so it can go threw the dash with out breaking anything and also with out hurting the ing. switch!!)
take the ING. switch ring off. just clips in with a small screw driver you can get it off or a pick.
9. put your key in and set the parking brake.
10. tilt the wheel all the way down.
11. Drink another beer
12. put the car in to low 1 gear with the car still off.
and now grab the lower part of the dash on the pass side. with the glove box open.
pull hard on the lower part of the dash.
13.but dont let it go to far out .
14. Disconnect the hazard switch wires so that you can get the dash apart.
15.drink another beer
(it should pop lose for you. now it is just a matter of spinning it in the right direction to get it over the steering wheel etc... )
16.Put the car in gear and turn off the switch and get rid of that damed bell in your ears
17.Drink another beer [sm=alcoholic.gif]

mickey 05-26-2008 10:40 AM

RE: To remove the dash in your 6th gen monte carlo

How to get the HVAC controls out.

1. drink a beer
2. remove the two screws on each side (some only have one on each side)
3. unplug the wires and vac. lines on the back of the controls.
4. replace new unit and reverse.

the bulbs are non service-able in the HVAC control unit. According to G.M.
same with the dash clusters.

mickey 05-26-2008 10:42 AM

RE: To remove the dash,HVAC controlls,Steering wheel buttons, in your 6th gen monte carlo

how to get the steering wheel controls out of the wheel on the monte carlo.
now for the fun one, disconnect the bat. and take the fuse out on the drivers side for the air bags.

you dont need them to blow off on ya.

1. drink the rest of a case of beer and start on the hard stuff.
2. while your dash is apart tis the easiest time to do it.
3. take a norther drink.
4. on the bottom of the column you need to remove the screws that hold the plastic shell on.
5. once it is removed take the screw off the back of the steering wheels screws
6. take another drink
once this is removed. you can now spin it to where you want it to get to the screws that hold the centre of the steering wheel on and take the air bag off.
7. now you can remove from the back side i think it was the parts that hold the plastic clips that hold the buttons in to the column.
8. once it is out you can do what you need to it and reverse to put back together.

take another drink and enjoy your new buttons/mods etc....
hope this helps ya some.

2003SSmonte 04-24-2009 12:58 PM

lotta drinkin involved in these projects... im liking these write ups! haha

ChevySSGirl 04-24-2009 01:11 PM

question on the steering wheel buttons - do you HAVE to have the dash off to do that? or is it like damn near impossible with it still on? i only ask because my two right side buttons (mode/mute and volume buttons only, not the cruise buttons) were not connected properly at the body shop and i haven't had a chance to go back there since to have them connect them. at this point it looks like i won't get there till my vacation next month but if it can be done without them i might give it a try. it doesn't sound that difficult...is it?? should i just suck it up and wait?

nemesis 04-25-2009 01:18 AM

i thought the steering wheel buttons are the easiest of all. you do not need to take remove any dash parts.

disconnect battery

unplug airbag sensor there are 2 of them. one on driver and the other on passenger side. they both locate under the fuse panel on driver/passenger sides. it's a bright yellow color plastic piece.

there are 3 screws holes in the steering cover behind the steering wheel. use a medium size screwdriver. make sure the screwdriver you using is not too long other wise you won't get in the hole. if it's too long it will hit the dash. stick screwdriver in the hole and twist it left or right and the cover should pop out. do the same thing to the other screw hole. when you get to the last hole hold on the airbag in front of the steering wheel cause the airbag will drop right out. do not take out any screws cause you don't need to. when sticking screwdriver in the hole make sure you stick in the empty hole not the hole with screws. you probably need to get on your back to see where the hole is at.

ChevySSGirl 04-25-2009 02:20 AM

that doesn't sound too hard at all, i might give it a try tomorrow. i'm just a little worried about the airbag dropping out and then not being able to get it back in right. if it wasn't for that i'd definitely do it. we'll see how brave i'm feeling. thanks for the write up!

nemesis 04-25-2009 12:31 PM

the airbag is spring loaded. when putting back just line it up to the hole and push it in. i think i got pic of the airbag. i'll post it later if i can find it.

Taz 09-04-2009 08:45 PM

Please note: Moderator Mickey has since retired from MCF, and is no longer able to answer any questions.

nemesis 09-05-2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullitt (Post 125022)
i thought the steering wheel buttons are the easiest of all. you do not need to take remove any dash parts.

disconnect battery

unplug airbag sensor there are 2 of them. one on driver and the other on passenger side. they both locate under the fuse panel on driver/passenger sides. it's a bright yellow color plastic piece.

there are 3 screws holes in the steering cover behind the steering wheel. use a medium size screwdriver. make sure the screwdriver you using is not too long other wise you won't get in the hole. if it's too long it will hit the dash. stick screwdriver in the hole and twist it left or right and the cover should pop out. do the same thing to the other screw hole. when you get to the last hole hold on the airbag in front of the steering wheel cause the airbag will drop right out. do not take out any screws cause you don't need to. when sticking screwdriver in the hole make sure you stick in the empty hole not the hole with screws. you probably need to get on your back to see where the hole is at.

^^^^^^^i was just reading the the past thread i posted, LMAO i sound like some pervert sicko! "stick it in the hole" "get on your back to see where the hole is"