FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Guide: Rear 6x9 Speakers – REPLACEMENT – 00-05 – Sixth Generation

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Default Rear 6x9 Speakers – REPLACEMENT – 00-05 – Sixth Generation

Hello everybody- Although this forum was easily resourceful enough to figure out how to change the rear 6x9’s on sixth generations, I didn’t really find a thread devoted to it, or in much detail(visually). So, I decided I’d put in my own how-to since I’ve taken so much information from this forum- Use this how-to however desired, post it wherever wanted, and ask any questions about it, just remember I am NOT responsible for any mess-ups, injuries, or death involved in the use of this guide!

A few notes….
*This task can take a few hours….. including the extra time I spent on rewiring some speakers and a sub and tuning it to my likes, I put about 3-4 hours into it… don’t expect it to be fast, unless you do this kind of thing often, in which case you probably wouldn’t be here

*When working in the area of the rear deck and window, be careful not to make jerky movements and such to avoid scratching and messing up your window tint.

*Im more of a visual guy, and I like visual references….. Therefore, I tried to take the pictures with that in mind- Sorry if a few of them are a bit blurry… There will be less text here and more pictures, but feel free to ask anything about the pictures if they don’t explain what is needed…

*About that driver side speaker grill….. I drive an ’02 LS, and it has approximately 135k miles on it…. Only in the last few thousand has it had ANY tint at all, and those grills were both hardcore sun-baked….. The crack was not a result of this particular job, instead something that happened a while back…. They are VERY fragile on my car- Proof for window tint!

Tools...

A ratchet as well as an 18mm(I got away with carefully using a ¾”) and an 11mm socket will be necessary, the 18mm preferably being deep socket. Also, a T10 bit will be necessary.
Mine required a few extra basics like a philips screw driver and hex keys for un-wiring some things with my amp and un-mounting it.
Additional wiring tools like wire strippers, solder, heat shrink, etc, will be necessary dependent upon how one is setting up the speaker- I chose not to even deal with the factory speaker wire and connector- My speaker came with its own wire and connector, which I just went directly to the amp with….. I just tucked the factory connector under where the rest of the wire harness is located…

Here is the order of disassembly:
1.) Remove bottom seat cushion – towards the trunk side of the bottom seat cushion, there is a hook that simply pushes down and pulls out- it can be totally pulled out with no tools- Check pictures.
2.)Next, the pillar-like slim center piece between the bottom seat cushion and top seat cushion must be taken out. There are rails that guide a plastic latch on both sides, but each side also has a bolt that is forcibly in it- Pull out, and then work it around- Again, see pictures.
3.)Next, the main part of the seat, the top cushion. First, there are 3 nuts on the bottom- 2 of them are for the seat belt latches(DISCONNECT center seat belt), the other is between those two and slightly up- all should come off easy once loosened, but the seat belts may or may not need to be worked a little to get them off the bolt. The 2 bolts on the outside bottom are 18mm, and will require a bit of strength to get out- they are in tight, they are long, and they never loosen up. Once those 5 nuts/bolts are removed, lower the seat cushion. There will be a rail running across the top where the seat latches are, and should be 2x11mm bolts on either side, for a total of 4. Remove those, and then carefully remove the entire assembly outside of the car.
4.)Now its time to remove the rear deck – there will be 3 black pins- Carefully put fingers in between all around it and work it around and out for all 3. Now move the seat belts out of the guide of the rear deck. Besides the 3 pins and belts, the only thing in the way are the metal loops sticking out on top- lift it JUST high enough to clear those and wiggle it out. As a result of my rear deck being badly sun-baked, some adhesive patch near the glass trim and the rear deck had attached considerably well to the deck and trim, and made for some good tugging…
5.)Now we have access to the speakers- On the front side of the speakers(engine side) there is a single latch that you can easily push in from the trunk area(stick your hand under). While pushing that in, pull towards yourself and the speaker and speaker mount should pop loose- before pulling anymore, disconnect the wire connector, and then pull out.
6.)Pretty simple from here, four T10 screws hold the speaker onto the mount- remove and replace the speaker. Wiring will be more specific to the job, and I will not get into that on this guide.
7.)REVERSE ORDER TO REASSEMBLE!

There is a decent amount of information here; I took pictures on the spot and recalled it all later from memory, so I may have missed a thing or two..... If that is the case, just ask about it and I'll fill in the gaps...

-Jake

Edit from Taz: The forum's software only allows up to 20 pictures per post (including smilies). The rest of Jake's pictures will be in the next post.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here are the rest of the pictures from Jake's tutorial.

Thanks Jake!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice write up, Ive been needing this haha.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM

i did this on my first 6th gen Monte i hated taking all the stuff apart tho LoL!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 PM

Wow, you took out way more than you needed to to get the rear speakers out. I can't say that I remember 100% what needs to be done since it's been 2 years for me, but I'm pretty sure all that needs to be done is to remove the bolts on the black plastic stip at the top of the back seat. The rear deck should be free to be pulled out at that point. My seats didn't come out of the car, definitely not the seatbelt latches.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM

I think I'll just leave the factory rears in for now. Man that a lot of work. Love smart engineering!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
Wow, you took out way more than you needed to to get the rear speakers out. I can't say that I remember 100% what needs to be done since it's been 2 years for me, but I'm pretty sure all that needs to be done is to remove the bolts on the black plastic stip at the top of the back seat. The rear deck should be free to be pulled out at that point. My seats didn't come out of the car, definitely not the seatbelt latches.
Agreed. It might be safer for tint to remove all that stuff, but I sure as hell didn't when I replaced my rear speakers. All I did was loosen the top of the rear seat and carefully removed the rear shelf.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Has anyone had problems with rear speakers not working at all, even though the speakers are not blown.. I figured a wiring issue, but can't figure out the source of why I can't get any audio output from rear speaker wiring