Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/)
-   -   Guide: How to remove your center console (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/how-remove-your-center-console-43800/)

milrlyt 07-04-2013 02:08 PM

How to remove your center console

6 Attachment(s)
I had to take my center console out to plan for my handbrake installation (will do a how-to on that when I finish as well), and didn't see a how-to guide on how to remove the console!

It's not so bad. Things you'll need:

5/16 ratchet bit
gator grip w/ vertical extension
drill
About 20 minutes
  • Park the car on a flat surface and engage the parking brake (however I did it without one)
  • Remove anything in the cupholders and other storage areas in the console
  • The top half is clipped in. Carefully push the bottom half inward and slide your fingers into the top half and gently push up and out. You'll have to do this in several places until it's loose all around
Attachment 31565

• Lift the top piece and unclip the traction control harness (if you have it) under the cupholder
Attachment 31566

• Shift into 1st or 2nd gear
  • Lift up the top piece and rotate it clockwise in order to maneuver it over the shift knob
Attachment 31567

• Put the car back in park
  • Open the cubby and remove the rubber mat; you'll see two sets of bolts of different sizes
  • Use the 5/16 bit to remove the smaller two bolts
  • The larger two require some strange bit that I didn't have, so I had to use a gator grip with an extension on a drill to get it out. :nono:
Attachment 31568

• Turn your attention to the two bolts near the dash in front of the shifter; I don't know what size they are, so I used the gator grip to remove those two.
Attachment 31569

• Unclip harness
Attachment 31570

• Now your bottom piece (aka the rest of the console) will come out. Shift into 1st or 2nd again and lift the piece out. Put the car back in park.
  • You're done!

I don't know how common of a thing this is for people to do, but just in case someone else wants to do it, here you go. :thumbsup:

turbo monte 07-04-2013 02:11 PM

good write up!!

ssdriver 08-23-2013 10:10 AM

unused connector

Hi, have a question for you. When you had your console apart did you notice a harness connector wrapped in a piece of foam below the traction control connecter. If so, do you know what it's for? It's not in use in my car (05)

Thanks

dc1 08-24-2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ssdriver (Post 566082)
Hi, have a question for you. When you had your console apart did you notice a harness connector wrapped in a piece of foam below the traction control connecter. If so, do you know what it's for? It's not in use in my car (05)

Thanks

Heated seats.The panel above the cupholder would have the switches.

VictoryRedSled 05-21-2014 11:41 AM

glad i found this, i spilled tea down in my center console and now the car sometimes doesnt know when its in park, prohibiting me from getting my key out :/ this will come in handy when i clean it out

Sickafoose 12-24-2020 09:58 AM

Good step by step instruction! My question for you is..In that last picture there I see the 2 small 5 pin harnesses, One is black one is white, both are identical..I just rewired mine and I am currently stuck at finding where these 2 "female" harnesses plug in? Any help would be appreciated..Possibly a closeup or anything would help at this point. Thanks again.

LordJamall 08-24-2022 06:54 PM

Thanks, Great write up.