Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/)
-   -   Mod Guide: How to Install SS GFX High Sport Trim OEM Ground Effects (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/how-install-ss-gfx-high-sport-trim-oem-ground-effects-44109/)

KCFITZ78 07-26-2013 02:46 PM

How to Install SS GFX High Sport Trim OEM Ground Effects

I had posted this write-up in a thread for someone that needed help installing there High Sport Trim. I was requested to post this into the "6th GEN How To" section... hopefully the powers to be can make this a "Sticky".

Here are some detailed instructions that someone else made. I think I saw this on the former MyMonte or 2000Monte forum... anyways I made an offline copy, so I can't take take credit for this great detailed set of intructions.

Front GFX Install On 2000-2005 Monte Carlo's

Here is what the front GFX looks like before it’s installed.

Here is a close up of the tabs that you will make slots in the front bumper cover for.

The GFX kit includes a self stick vinyl template that is placed on the front. This is used to locate the areas to drill to make the 13 slots for the tabs on the front GFX section.

The slots center on the line that is already molded into the front bumper cover. Once you get the template on, Drilling is easy since the molded line will center the drill bit for you.

The instructions for the kit say to drill 4 holes, but I found it easier to cut between them if you drill more. I used about 12 holes for each slot X 13 slots 156 holes in my new car.!!!!!!

I used a new sharp #11 Xacto blade to cut between the holes to make the slots. I used a new blade for every 4 slots. The plastic cuts easy, but dulls the blades fast. Take your time with this and only cut the slots as wide top to bottom as the holes you drilled. Keeping the slots narrow helps keep the GFX tight to the bumper cover of the car.

One completed slot 12 more to go.

Once the slots are drilled and cut, the bellypan is removed to gain access to the back of the front bumper cover. This will allow you to install the spring clips.

Here you can see the tabs on the back of the GFX that go through the slots that you made. The slots are wider side to side than the tabs. This allows you to adjust the GFX on the car. And allows some play if you weren’t in the exact center when you put on the vinyl template.

Here are the Sping clips and the plastic pop rivets that hold the Front GFX on.

This is the Rivet gun for the plastic pop rivets. It's only tool I had to buy. It's available from NAPA for $25.99 and is Item #BK 7702864. You can't use a rivet gun for metal rivets since the plastic ones are bigger.

This is a shot of the spring clips that go through the tabs on the back to hold it on. This was the hardest part of the install, getting these in. They fit TIGHT!!!

Also the 2 that fit on the corners were hard to reach, I removed the fog lights so that I could put my arm through there to reach them. It's also held on by screws along the bottom, and plastic pop rivets on the ends.

And here is the completed Front GFX.

KCFITZ78 07-26-2013 02:51 PM

Side GFX Install On 2000-2005 Monte Carlo's

This is the original side of the car before the GFX install

The first thing that is done is to put several layers of masking tape on the rocker below the Monte Carlo emblem. This is to protect the paint as you push up and release the original plastic lower rocker.

You also want to put several layers of masking tape on the front fender ahaed of the door. You won't need to protect the door since it will be open as you work.

You will need to use a flat bladed screwdriver to release the clips that hold the rocker to the car. These are located under the car. As you release the clip, pull the rocker toward you so that they release. There are 8 of these on each side of the car.

The Rocker off the car

Once you release the gray clips on the bottom of the rocker, open the door, and start at the back of the car, and pull the rocker out from the bottom while pushing up on it. This will release the clips that are behind the rocker. This takes some force to get the first couple to release. But once the first one does the rest come out easy. With the rocker off, remove the clips that will be left in the car. You get all new ones in the kit so don’t worry about the ones that break.

Here are the new clips that will be used to install the Side GFX.

Here is a shot of the side GFX before being installed.

Put the new clips in the slots provided in the side GFX.

Line up you new side GFX with the car, Open the door, and start at the front, and just snap it on. Snap in the white clips that are behind the GFX first, and then the gray ones that are on the bottom. It’s that easy. Repeat these steps with the other side. This is the easiest part of the install.

Here is the side on the car. Looks good Huh!!!

KCFITZ78 07-26-2013 02:52 PM

Rear GFX install On 2000-2005 Monte Carlo's

Here is the Rear GFX before the install.

The Rear GFX has 4 tabs on each side. Slots will be drilled and cut for these just like the 13 slots that were made for the front GFX.

The Rear GFX is also held on by 7 metal plates that go across the back of the car. These fit under the large tabs in this picture.

The install for the Rear GFX requires 3 templates. 1 self stick vinyl one for each side to mark the location for the 8 slots that are drilled and cut, and a paper one that goes across the back to mark the location for the 14 holes that are drilled for the metal pop rivets that hold on the 7 plates.

Here is the rear hardware. Spring clips like the ones used on the front GFX, and metal plates that are held on by the metal pop rivets. Not shown are several plastic pop rivets that are used at the ends of the GFX where they wrap into the wheel well, and also under the back edge of the bumper cover.

The self stick vinyl template is put on each side and 8 slots are drilled and cut in the same manor as was used on the front GFX install.

The rear paper template is taped to the car in this picture. It is lined up in the middle with the cutout for the license plate light, then aligned with the groove that is already molded in the bumper cover. This locates the holes to be drilled for the rivets for the metal plates.

Each metal plate on the rear is held in place by 2 metal rivets. You drill all 14 holes, and then remove the paper template.

The metal plates only go on one way, so I marked them. If you put one on backwards, you’ll never get it off again so mark ‘em and be careful with this step.

Here are 2 of the metal plates riveted in place. You can see that they sit a little below the molded line in the bumper cover. There are tabs on the GFX that are pinched between these plates and the bumper cover to hold it in place.

Here is a shot of all the metal plates riveted in place.

And here is the Rear GFX installed. You slip the tabs between the metal plates and the bumper cover on the back, then the tabs on the sides go through the slots. The side ones are secured with the same type of spring clips that are used on the front. The back is held tight by 7 Plastic Pop rivets that go into the underside of the bumper. These keep the GFX from slipping out from under the metal plates.

Now add some nice stainless exhaust tips and your done!!!!!

Not too Bad Huh !!!!!!! and you saved yourself some bucks.

And here’s what we have when we're done!!!!!!

I also added a set of High Sport Wheels, Changed the Monte Carlo Scripts to silver to match the GFX, and a red ½ inch stripe just above the GFX’s to set the whole thing off.

Just as a contrast here is what I started with.

KCFITZ78 07-26-2013 02:53 PM

GM Part Numbers:

Complete Kits
  • P/N 12498140 EXTENSION PACKAGE (Unpainted) highsport ground effects package for 2000-2003 monte carlo's. Same package used on the Dale Earhardt edition monte carlo and SS with BYP option.
  • P/N 12498141 EXTENSION PACKAGE (White) highsport ground effects package for 2000-2003 monte carlo's. Same package used on the Dale Earhardt edition monte carlo and SS with BYP option.
  • P/N 12498142 EXTENSION PACKAGE (Silver) highsport ground effects package for 2000-2003 monte carlo's. Same package used on the Dale Earhardt edition monte carlo and SS with BYP option.
  • P/N 12498143EXTENSION PACKAGE (Black) highsport ground effects package for 2000-2003 monte carlo's. Same package used on the Dale Earhardt edition monte carlo and SS with BYP option.
Individual High Sport Moldings
  • P/N 12493720 REAR EXTENSION (Unpainted)
Hardware
  • P/N (None) TEMPLATES & INSTRUCTION SHEET (the instruction sheet and the templates are unfortunately non-serviceable)
  • P/N 12493719 FRONT SPRING CLIP
  • P/N 15718794 PLASTIC POP RIVET (FOR FRONT EXTENSION)
  • P/N 12493719 REAR SPRING CLIP
  • P/N 15718794 PLASTIC POP RIVET (FOR REAR EXTENSION)
  • P/N 12531210 REAR RETAINER PLATE
  • P/N 22093245 RIVET (FOR REAR RETAINER PLATE)
  • P/N 10431761 RETAINER (FOR ROCKER PANEL MOLDING)
  • P/N 25693852 RETAINER (FOR ROCKER PANEL MOLDING)
  • -
  • P/N 211516618 BOLT
  • P/N 21110122 RETAINER
  • P/N 88960335 RIVET
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/pa...281W07-021.JPG

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/pa...161W07-022.JPG

KCFITZ78 08-13-2013 02:00 PM

How can this thread be made into "STICKY"??????

chevymontess 08-22-2013 12:12 AM

Is there any way I can get those templates??? They would save me such a hassle

KCFITZ78 08-27-2013 11:28 AM

Templates only come with new kits (see above post). Templates can not be purchased at the dealership or anywhere else. Someone may have a used template but otherwise this is a lost cause trying to find templates.

TMoney 08-30-2013 08:34 PM

Im finally gonna attempt to do this to my car tomorrow. Plan on installing it as is just to mock it up, get it painted during the week, and put it on for good next weekend

TMoney 08-31-2013 09:38 AM

Ok so I just started doing this this morning, only to find out I do not have the metal plates for the back. Is it a big deal to do it without them or do I absolutely need them?

If so, where can i buy them?

KCFITZ78 09-03-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by TMoney (Post 567653)
Ok so I just started doing this this morning, only to find out I do not have the metal plates for the back. Is it a big deal to do it without them or do I absolutely need them?

If so, where can i buy them?

Yes they are needed as the rear extension has tabs that slide between the bumper and the plate

P/N 12531210 REAR RETAINER PLATE

GMPartDirect.com has then for $7.43 each