Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/)
-   -   Mod Guide: how to install roof rails (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/how-install-roof-rails-21345/)

nemesis 06-13-2010 11:33 PM

how to install roof rails

i had members pm'ed me on how to install roof rails, well i thought i'll do a write for anyone wanting to know how. so bear with me as i'm not good with describing.

tools need:
expoxy (2 packages)
flat head screw driver
goo gone
rubbing alcohol

use a flat head screw driver and pry off the stock roof piece like you see in the pic. these pieces are not reusable once they are pull off. it can be usable, but it's gonna be hard trying to shape them back out from the bend and crease.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...p/IMG_0074.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...p/IMG_0073.jpg

only the left side of the roof rail can go on the left side and same way as the right side. now it's time to test fit to make sure you know which side is the left/right side and which side of the rail is the front.

the side with the most flattest on top will be going to the front (toward the windshield)
one you determine which side of the rail is for the right side and which is for the left and which side of the rail go to the front. place each of the rails on the roof to make sure they fit the roof slots. once everything line up and look good put the roof rail to the side.

grab a bottle of goo gone and squirt some on a rag and scub out the old 3m tape and dirt off the roof slot. when that's clean and dry grab some rubbing alcohol and pour some on a clean rag and wipe down the the whole roof slot where the roof rail gonna sit in. do same thing on the other side. once the alcohol dry do not touch inside the slots.

now it's time to put the rails on. i didn't put 3m double side tape in the tools need bcuz in the long run the 3m tape will not hold well. you be able to wiggle it around and easy for thieves to snatch them. i used epoxy (max. hold) it come with 2 tubes that you push out from the tube and mix together. you gonna need 2 total package to do both roof rail.

follow the direction on the mixing of the epoxy. once the epoxy is well mix quickly grab one side of the roof rail and spread the epoxy on the bottom of the rail. you gonna have to do kinda quick bcuz the epoxy dry up fast. make sure you ONLY spread on the epoxy to the bottom where the rail will ONLY gonna stick to the roof slot. now lift up black rubber piece that goes around the front windshield up and push in the flattest top of the rail (front) under the black rubber all the way in and press down on the rail into the roof slot working your way toward the back pressing down the rail as you moving to the back. the other end of the roof rail should be tuck in under the black rubber around the back windshield just like the way you done the front side. now spread out both your arms and put pressure on the rail holding it down for 5 minutes.

after 5 minutes up you can let off the pressure and if you done everything according to the direction^^^ the roof rail should hold pretty well. once you are satisfied with the roof rail and everything hold down pretty well now do the other side same way.

i will be adding pics and revise the diection little better when i get a chance. if you have question just post it here and i'll repl

davidk67 06-17-2010 09:44 PM

nice write-up Silver. Thank you.

when I find some rails I will put them on as you described. And yes, the epoxy is the best way to do this, even over the hardy 3M double sided tape.

Pure2sin 06-18-2010 12:29 AM

That epoxy does work great. Only reason I know is my buddy thought it would be funny to epoxy my eyes shut when I passed out drunk. I woke up in the middle of it and tried to open my eyes, only to get a burning feeling. Almost had to go to the ER. lol Was NOT happy.

Jomao_o 06-18-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pure2sin (Post 237524)
That epoxy does work great. Only reason I know is my buddy thought it would be funny to epoxy my eyes shut when I passed out drunk. I woke up in the middle of it and tried to open my eyes, only to get a burning feeling. Almost had to go to the ER. lol Was NOT happy.

Good write up Ryan.

Also, if my friends did that, i would have to kick ass afterwards lmao!

Pure2sin 07-26-2010 02:01 AM

I got a guy who will sell me some rails for $200 sanded and primed. This write up may come in handy soon.

Pure2sin 07-29-2010 09:27 PM

Got them for $175 and I think from the same guy you got yours from Silverbullitt.

monte07 07-30-2010 10:37 PM

good write up

galowe48 08-03-2010 09:47 PM

Are these "Rails" readily available? They look an awful lot like the 97-03 Grand Prix Roof Rails from the Pace Car edition. And since these cars are very similar, I could go to GM Dealer and Purchase them. But would rather not pay the Inflated Prices.

Pure2sin 08-03-2010 10:27 PM

They are the same thing. Actually you are exactly right, they are from the Grand Prix.

galowe48 08-03-2010 10:56 PM

Thanks! So I guess It's the dealer if I really want em?