Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/)
-   -   Mod Guide: Give Aux input to your Factory Radio (Special Radio Needed) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fwd-tech-guides-95-07-62/give-aux-input-your-factory-radio-special-radio-needed-3082/)

ralphtrent 01-04-2007 01:40 PM

Give Aux input to your Factory Radio (Special Radio Needed)

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND COMPLETLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO YOUR CAR

I just installed the PIE GM12 AUX adapter in my 04 MC SS. I thought I would document the steps I took for your viewing pleasure. I am not a very car technical, but I was able to do this with someone who is. But I can tell you how to do it witha car technical person.

First, what is this adapter. The adapter allows you to give your stock radio (equipped with the RDS functionality and has an aux or xm button). The unit plugs into the back of your radio where an external cd play or factory installed xm unit would be. With this unit you can plug in your dvd/satellite/ipod in using the rca jacks and have a clear sound. No need of FM Interference. I picked mine up from Crutchfield for 77 with shipping. (just search for GM12 AUX).

Installation requires wiring the unit to a constant 12 volt line, (this is where my skills are lacked and needed the help, but I can tell you what we did), as well as a ground connection.

Installation:
First was to remove the radio, to do this I need to take the dash apart. (Keep in mind this is on an 04 MC SS, it may be different if you are working on another year/model). The dash is held on with two screws and 10 clips. Before you can take the dash out, you need to remove the two knee panels and fuse panel.

* It is recommended that you remove the negative battery terminal and apply the emergency brake
** Note: All screw heads are 7mm.
*** Author is not responsible for any damage done, proceed at own risk

Steps:
1. Remove the lower knee panel - squeeze the two clips and pull down.
2. Remove the upper knee panel - Two screws are now visible with the completion of step 1. Unscrew this and pull on the panel. It may be tough at first, but wiggle and pull out towards you.
3. Remove the Fuse Panel Door - Pullout and Slide the fuse panel door to the right (this door is on next to your driver door)
4. Remove the 2 dash screws - One is in the fuse panel (hence taking the fuse panel door off, the other is in the glove box Open the glove box and look to the left. It is not actually IN the box, you just need to open it and look directly to the left.
5. Remove dash - put the steering and shifter as low as they will go. CAREFULLY pull on the dash to release the clips. I would recommend starting on the left.
6. Remove Radio - unscrew the 3 screws and pull radio out, but not to far as the wiring is short. Remove all plugs including the antenna. I had two plugs plus the antenna.
7. Install Adapter - if your radio hada small jack plugged in next to the big jack, this adapter allows you to piggy back off of it and plug the small jack into the available jack on the adapter (when you see it, it will make more sense). plug the adapter into the small jack, plug the factory small jack into the unit (if needed). At this point you need to connect the yellow wire to the power. The wires to the big (24-pin) factory plug are kept together in a bundle buy electric tape. Remove enough tape to get at and work with the THICK ORANGE wire on the right side of the plug. Next, I CAREFULLY used a razor to shave away the insulation of the THICK ORANGE wire. This is your power to the radio. Remove about 1/4 inch all the way around. The adaptor's yellow wire has a clip on the end. Cut it off and remove the about 1/4 insulation. Wrap the exposed wire from the yellow wire around the exposed wire of the orange wire. With electrical tape, cover the exposed wire tightly. If applicable, plug the factory s

benhillzone3 01-04-2007 01:47 PM

RE: Give Aux input to your Factory Radio (Special Radio Needed)

so what aux uni tdid you add to your factory radio?

ralphtrent 01-04-2007 03:48 PM

PIE GM12 AUX
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u1s6xxx...p;i=469GM12AX2

White05LT 01-04-2007 11:59 PM

Will this allow you to connect an amp to your factory radio, thats better than our stock amp?

ralphtrent 01-05-2007 12:19 PM

This adapter just allows for inputing a signal, not output. I think you would need to look for another option.

ralphtrent 01-05-2007 12:28 PM

White05LT, you may be interested in this.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mUXMAs0...&i=142SLC4

Not sure how it works, but it looks like may help you use a new amp with the factory radio.

benhillzone3 01-05-2007 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: ralphtrent

PIE GM12 AUX
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u1s6xxx...p;i=469GM12AX2
i was aksing what was the reason that you were putting this in? what were you trying to do with your factory radio?

ralphtrent 01-05-2007 04:10 PM

Sorry, mis-understood. I have a Sirius Sportster4. The wireless FM Mod is horrible. So I put this PIE unit in and now I can listin to the radio with out a problem. Also, this would be good if I where to get an ipod or any other device with an audio out option.

05MCdriver 07-21-2010 01:55 AM

can you send a pic of the final product and how it looks. with the input jack and everything.

ChibiBlackSheep 07-21-2010 08:08 AM

Thread is 3 years old. I doubt you'll get a picture.