Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   which would be better??? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/would-better-30390/)

bama_z34 08-20-2011 01:04 AM

which would be better???

ok so the 3.4 in my 96 z34 is starting to drive me INSANEEEE. so im wondering which would be easer/simpler. and l67 swap or just the basic na setup. since the closest totaled l67 car ive found was 2 hours from my house i dont know if i could do the l67. but there are tons of totaled 3.8 grand prix's and bonnevilles around.

z34phoenix 08-20-2011 09:03 AM

you actually need parts from a 98 99 Z34 or lumina LTZ....
a tune can help fix the shift points for your car!! might want to look into it again.

you need the 98/99 3800 NA harness as it has the correct firewall connector for our cars. also need the axles too. power steering lines and trany shift cable are prob needed too.

a l36 with a top swap would make more power anyway and the non hd trany is better IMO cause of the 3.29 gears.

bama_z34 08-20-2011 09:09 AM

i was plannin on saving up to turbo the 3.4 but its starting to annoy me wayyyy too often. so i guess ill just save up the money for an l36. the 3.4 may beat the 3.8 in stock form. but drop 1k on the 3.4 and 1k on the 3.8 and see who wins lol

bama_z34 08-20-2011 09:10 AM

so basically i should be looking for a 3.8 lumina or z34 instead of a gp gt ?

mrl390 08-20-2011 09:58 AM

Bang for the buck, the 3800 is a better cheaper option. However if you were to turbo the 3.4, it will respond to boost WAY better than the 3800. The guys who have gone and turbo'ed their 3.4 are pushing very respectable numbers on relatively low mounts of boost.

Have you taken the time to have your car properly diagnosed? If you wont spend the time to get it fixed right, of course it will annoy you. Any improperly running engine will drive you crazy if you dont have it fixed properly. I hear people complaining about the 3.4 all the time and it seems the people who wont take the time to fix/maintain the engine are the ones who hate it. Those who keep it running properly LOVE the 3.4.

Your situation is like someone with a bad knee just chopping off the leg and replacing it with a prosthetic because they dont want to go through knee surgery.

z34phoenix 08-20-2011 10:23 AM

agreed the 3.4L with boost is amazing... my only reason for wanting to swap to a L67/4t65e is the trany. i have replaced the trany twice before and am not going to do it again.

also with a turbo, the trany wont hold up long with the 3.4.....

best bet would be a 97 pcm and harness to run a 4t65e. even still with a turbo the trany would be on limited time.

bama_z34 08-20-2011 05:21 PM

@matt: ive replaced 3 water pumps. 4 thermostats. and my transmission is going haywire and the only ppl that will even open the hood in a shop wants to charge me 300 dollars just to hook it up to the scanner. yeah ill admit the lq1 is a powerful engine, i love the way it sounds and the way it revs. but there just isnt an aftermarket for it.
but the aftermarket for the 3.8 has been around forever and it is just gonna keep expanding.

bama_z34 08-20-2011 05:28 PM

@dave: ive talked to timg and shane one 60*v6 and they were the ones who got me interested in the idea of a turbo. but i just cant see being able to do it to my car considering i have no shop or garage and there is noone around here who could help me out. plus i think the biggest pain would be makin some turbo manifolds. idk anyone around here who could make em except the local muffler shop and they wanted to charge me 200 dollars to remove my resonator because "its in a weird place" so i can only imagine what they would say if i asked them to make me some turbo manifolds.

i just wish that gm would have waited for a little while and re-designed the engine layout of the 5th gen. instead of just throwing a great engine into a tiny bay

bama_z34 08-20-2011 05:34 PM

im giving it two more months and if it doesnt act right after i get the shift solenoid, new plugs and wires. new head gaskets and upper intake manifolds im gonna start saving up for an l36 swap. l36 with top swap<l67 :) this is gonna take a while lol

zipper 08-20-2011 05:57 PM

All great things take time :) I owned my CSC kit for two years before I installed it and I'm still not done with the build, lol. If you have patience, and you love 5th gens, then go for it! It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a ton too.