Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Opinion Needed: What Turbo Kit To Go With (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/what-turbo-kit-go-60138/)

WolvenScout 09-05-2018 11:58 PM

What Turbo Kit To Go With

I want to turbocharge my 2000 Monte 3800 L36, just for the fun of it. I like the idea of a daily that's loud, and fast when needed. The problem is, I don't know what kit I should go for, or if I should even get a kit. Instead, sourcing all the pieces individually. Either way, I don't quite want to spend thousands of dollars on this mod. For example, on a kit like this, from Cartuning, which is ~4,200$ with an intercooler. But I'm also not sure if I should go with an "eBay" type kit. Like I found on amazon, which would be ~550$, with damn near everything I need, except for some custom pipe work. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on a kit?

wht02monte 09-06-2018 05:42 AM

Those cheap ebay and amazon kits are hit or miss.. You might get one that lasts a few years, you might get one that shreds itself within a month..

Now, I dont have any personal experience. This is just judging by my many years of youtubery.. One of the guys on there pushes 30psi consistently without any problem yet. Yet.....

Maybe someone has some better insight into these..

Its something thats always been in the back of my mind tho. Sometime in the future I plan to buy a stock 3800 and do a cheap ebay turbo kit+IC on it..

I know I may be setting myself up for a big headache but its something ive really wanted to do.. Cheapest, fastest 3800 as possible.

bumpin96monte 09-07-2018 08:44 AM

IMO there's no reason to DIY a kit for these cars. A brand new ZZP Z3 kit starts around $2500. If that's too much, used kits pop up fairly frequently on the various 3800 forums, many starting well under that.

Just don't see the benefit of having to do all your own fab work and use garbage components when you can get good stuff for just a little more.

bumpin96monte 09-07-2018 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 713978)
. Cheapest, fastest 3800 as possible.

Spray it if that's the case. Used kits are dirt cheap for huge power gains.

Tricky part with this platform is always the trans though since there are no cheap versions of the upgrades. Completely gutting the car would help keep it alive longer. If you could do the fab work and tuning, a 4t80 might be the best bet.

WolvenScout 09-08-2018 01:29 AM

I did look into the Z3 turbo kit from ZZP, and it seems like a good option. More reputable than some of the eBay style kits. Would it be better to run the stock manifolds, or pick up a rear power log from ZZP? Although, on the product page for the rear power log, it says "Since the Z3 and CarTuning turbo kits require the OEM rear manifold for the wastegate perch, this will work with both of those turbo kits". To me, it sounds like that statement contradicts itself, by saying those kits require the OEM manifold. Also, I'm still new to engine modding, and I don't understand what the "rear" part of "rear power log" means. And since a V6 has two banks of cylinders, I would need two of the rear power logs, correct?

bumpin96monte 09-08-2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by WolvenScout (Post 713994)
Would it be better to run the stock manifolds, or pick up a rear power log from ZZP?

I'd just start with stock manifolds. You can always easily swap them out later.

Although, on the product page for the rear power log, it says "Since the Z3 and CarTuning turbo kits require the OEM rear manifold for the wastegate perch, this will work with both of those turbo kits". To me, it sounds like that statement contradicts itself, by saying those kits require the OEM manifold.
Cartuning and Z3 kits both feed the waste gate from the stock downpipe location. As such, you need a stock (or stock style) replacement, which is exactly what a rear power log is. It's made exactly like the stock manifold with all of the same connections, including the downpipe flange that'll feed the new waste gate.

Also, I'm still new to engine modding, and I don't understand what the "rear" part of "rear power log" means. And since a V6 has two banks of cylinders, I would need two of the rear power logs, correct?
You are right, there are 2 manifolds, but they're very different. They make power logs for the front and rear if you so desire.

Back in the day, they only made a front log. The stock from manifold is a cast piece and has some restrictive areas. The stock rear is a welded tubular steel which flows better. So many used to go to a power log up front for better flow.

Once turbo kits took off, they decided to offer a rear log as well to improve performance a bit there as well.

​​​​​​

WolvenScout 09-11-2018 01:32 PM

How much does a used ZZP Z3 kit including the intercooler usually go for?

bumpin96monte 09-11-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by WolvenScout (Post 714045)
How much does a used ZZP Z3 kit including the intercooler usually go for?

To be honest, I've got no idea in the current market.

Last ones I remember seeing were at 2k or a couple hundred under. Could probably do a search on the big 3800 forums to see more current sales
​​​​​
Harder part nowadays is that there isn't really a single monster 3800 site anymore. There are probably 4 or 5 larger forums plus the Facebook groups.

Blacknitews6 10-16-2018 05:11 PM

How do you guys feel about the Z3's crossover and the wastegate venting to atmosphere? I wish the Z7 kit was still available.

bumpin96monte 10-16-2018 08:14 PM

Lots of people have run the Z3 kit with no issues. If venting to atmosphere is a big deal, you could certainly fab a pipe to get it back into the exhaust.

I'm honestly suprised they kept the z7 as long as they did. Didn't make much sense to stock 3 options for turbo kits on a dying market. I bet the Z3 accounts for 95%+ of their sales with only a handful of people willing to shell out the money for the higher end kit.