Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No need to spend all the time on that when a single turbo can get you your goals no problem.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM

No need to spend all the time on that when a single turbo can get you your goals no problem.
As I said in my post above- I definitely agree- a single turbo can give you all the performance you would ever want out of a 3800. IMO, if your goal is to have a unique setup- do a CSC, whipple, KB, TVS or something like that.

i'm in school for collision repair and high performance fabrication and i've got 10-15 thousand $ worth of plans for that 04 SS, if it takes me 3 years to finish i'm gonna put one of the most customized all original appearing 6th gen u've even seen, i'm just shareing ideas
I'd also like to give you an alternative option here. Consider the total amount you're going to be looking at here- $15k worth of mods, and a car that's worth roughly $8k private party. So you're looking at $23k total investment, just to put other things into perspective. I will say you can have a car that will be faster and more fun to drive going with an AWD or RWD platform. Now, I'm not trying to get you out of modding the monte- but I have two questions for you:

1: Have you ever driven a 400-500+whp FWD wbody? If not, I highly suggest you find someone on local car forums to at least let you go for a ride in one. 400+ whp in a mustang, fbody, goat, etc has some wheelspin in 1st, but mostly hooks and goes from 2nd on with good tires. However, this kind of power on a FWD wbody is useless on the street- you're talking spinning the tires from 45-50 mph or even higher depending how much power it has. At the strip, on slicks- with a locked rear suspension and such- sure it'll hook decently, but then that also leads me to #2...

2: Have you looked into the problems people have with 4t65's as far as putting down big power numbers? Honestly, between this and the lack of street driveability- these have been the primary causes of many of the big turbo guys demodding and going onto RWD platforms. I'm not sure what your plans are for the rest of the car- but if your intention is to build a quick track car- you really should consider gutting the car down to the bare necessities. Shedding as much weight as possible seems to help keep the transmission alive much longer than the cars that try and put down big power with near street weight.

Here are some other options for a similar total investment from searching some KBB numbers (used good condition, private party)
-05 GTO, 6L V8, M6 trans, 40k miles, $15k (plus $8k in mods)
-92 Mustang, 5L V8, M5 trans, 75k miles, $3k (plus $20k in mods)
-03 Mustang Cobra, 4.6L SC V8, M6 trans, 50k miles, $18k (plus $5k in mods)
-00 Camaro, LS1, M6 trans, 50k miles, $7.5k (plus $15.5k in mods)
-00 Corvette, LS1?, M6 trans, 50k miles, $18k (plus $5k in mods)
-04 Lancer EVO 8, I4 turbo, M5 trans, 40k miles, $18.5k (plus $4.5k in mods)

and you could keep going- GSX eclipse, WRX, 300ZX TT, LS1 swapped RX7, etc etc.

The point I'm trying to make here is that any of these cars above , with the rest of the leftover money spent on engine mods- would likely be quicker in the 1/4, and around a road course, and would be more reliable as a daily driver as well.

Don't get me wrong- I love seeing something unique done- but before you dump that kind of money into your monte- I'd definitely go for a couple rides (and drive if you can) a big power wbody, and talk to the owners of similar cars about their trans issues. At least then you can make an informed decision about which would be the better route for you.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

LISTEN TO THIS ^ MAN!!!!!

Joe

Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montess2k
LISTEN TO THIS ^ MAN!!!!!