Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Opinion Needed: Turbo 3800 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/turbo-3800-a-59823/)

hunterh047 06-12-2018 06:30 PM

Turbo 3800

Sooo, I'm building a 3.8 bottom end for my new turbo build and I obviously don't need the dual ribbed balancer, so my question, is there a performance balancer anyone would recommend with just the single ribs. Also should I go with an overdrive or an undedrive pulley?

bumpin96monte 06-12-2018 09:05 PM

First off, this would get more hits / replies in the engine section rather than the detailing section. Perhaps a mod can move it?

Originally Posted by hunterh047 (Post 712091)
Sooo, I'm building a 3.8 bottom end for my new turbo build

I wouldn't 'build' a bottom end. A junkyard engine is fine. If you're going to run big boost, get an L67 bottom, if moderate, then an L36 would be fine.

and I obviously don't need the dual ribbed balancer, so my question, is there a performance balancer anyone would recommend with just the single ribs.
IMO it's a waste of money, especially for a turbo car. I've got an ATI and it's a very nice piece, but a new one is a lot of money for zero performance gain. It's not like you're going to be spinning crazy high RPM or anything on a 3800 anyways, and you don't need the extra ribs like a superchaged car would want.

​​​

Also should I go with an overdrive or an undedrive pulley?
If you had to get one - under drive would give a tiny bit more power. I'm personally not a fan though as it slows down all of your accessories too. That can be problematic, especially for greater under drives at idle.

hunterh047 06-12-2018 10:27 PM

Great answers, thanks for the quick response. I'm going to "build" the bottom end because I got the whole setup (60,000 mile l32 block and rods, new eagle crank, new aluminum pistons, and all that good stuff) from a guy nearby for pretty cheap so I might as well. So for my balancer I'll just run a better one for a N/A 3800. Otherwise thanks again for the help man.

bumpin96monte 06-13-2018 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by hunterh047 (Post 712100)
Great answers, thanks for the quick response. I'm going to "build" the bottom end because I got the whole setup (60,000 mile l32 block and rods, new eagle crank, new aluminum pistons, and all that good stuff) from a guy nearby for pretty cheap so I might as well.

If that 60k mile L32 is still all together, I'd just leave it. No reason to tear apart a good engine.

One downside to building an engine is that even the machine shop work alone will cost as much as a junkyard engine.

So for my balancer I'll just run a better one for a N/A 3800. Otherwise thanks again for the help man.
I'm not really sure there are any 'better' ones for an NA engine than stock. I just took a look at the ATI site and it looks like their only option for a complete set is for a supercharged engine. You could always buy just the hub and have them custom make a shell without the outer ribs, but they're already awfully expensive to start with for an off the shelf model.

There are definitely a lot of replacement ones (Dayco, Dorman, Powerbond, etc) but I wouldn't say they're better than OEM.