Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Tuning...?? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/tuning-56052/)

beans455 04-26-2016 10:14 AM

Tuning...??

Please tell me someone knows where I can take my 3800's to get tuned near Jackson, ms?? Someone down here has to know somewhere reputable.

BeachBumMike 04-26-2016 10:40 AM

Hi `David,
What type of tune do you want for your Monte Carlo ?
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...onte-25481.jpg
What Mod's do you have now ?

From Mr Google:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a2d1b94ff1.jpg

The Speed Shop < Click

4881 highway 55 south

Jackson, MS 39212

(601) 372-7889

EFILive GM Tuning 98 and newer
  • Naturally Aspirated - $500
  • Power Adder - From $550 up
Aftermarket ECU tuning IE Fast, Big Stuff 3 ect... - Prices Starting at $650

Call For Custom Quotes

Performance parts sales and installation

==================================

www.speedproductions.net/

... custom tuning solutions, and fabricating company located in central MS. ... Carincludes a VMP TVS, Circle D Specialties converter, BMR Suspension, and .

https://youtu.be/qfAON8KN33U

http://www.speedproductions.net/imag...es/dynojet.jpg
https://youtu.be/qfAON8KN33U

turbo monte 04-26-2016 04:31 PM

Agree, what are you looking for in a tune? If it's basic adjustments then just buy a mail order tune and call it a day. If you did major modifications then best to have it dyno tuned, best bet for this is search reputable gm tuners in your area or travel to a reputable 3800 tuner.

beans455 04-26-2016 07:54 PM

Lol. Speed shop. Im gonna stick to if I don't have anything nice to say, etc., etc...to be fair I don't personally know them, and I'm sure they are good people.
A dyno tune. I have hpt. And not a $1500 for 3 pull dyno. I have 3, 3800's so mod list is too much to list. Only two ready right now. The monte Carlo is a long ways from being ready. The other two, heads(1), cam, fuel pump, 80# injectors(1),42#(1), intercooler(1), 3.4, 2.8.......; ) intakes, and a bunch of suspension work. Only one has new struts right now, bmr rear set up on one, only lateral arms on the other, adco front bars, and everything else isn't really pertinent to list out

ohara 04-26-2016 11:09 PM

Will may be able to help you, he's not located near you but if you tell him everything done he can probably do a great tune for you and mail you the pcm. He did mine in my car and I can't say enough good things about his work. Here's a link to his website

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

bumpin96monte 04-27-2016 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by beans455 (Post 687672)
Lol. Speed shop. Im gonna stick to if I don't have anything nice to say, etc., etc...to be fair I don't personally know them, and I'm sure they are good people.
A dyno tune. I have hpt. And not a $1500 for 3 pull dyno. I have 3, 3800's so mod list is too much to list. Only two ready right now. The monte Carlo is a long ways from being ready. The other two, heads(1), cam, fuel pump, 80# injectors(1),42#(1), intercooler(1), 3.4, 2.8.......; ) intakes, and a bunch of suspension work. Only one has new struts right now, bmr rear set up on one, only lateral arms on the other, adco front bars, and everything else isn't really pertinent to list out

Is your concern that you don't like this specific shop, or that you think the prices are too high? IMO $1500 to tune 3 cars isnt terrible for a tuner. I'd imagine most places would give you a package deal if you were to pay to tune 3 cars up front.

The cost isn't in buying tuning hardware/software, you're paying for their time (could be a few hours to half the day), dyno rental time, and their expertise. Taking your car to a place like zzp for a full custom tune isn't going to be any cheaper. Honestly, if you have the money for 3 fully built 3800s, $500 to get each one tuned in is just a drop in the bucket.

The way I see it, you've only got a few decent options:
-Learn how to use your HPT and tune them yourself. This is by far the most cost effective, but could also be the most time consuming / risky depending on your experience level.
-Find a local speed shop that does GM tuning. As mentioned above, this will easily be $500/car, but this will probably get you the most out of each setup. Just keep in mind, they're likely not 3800 experts, so they aren't going to be able to maximize the car quite as well.
-Get a mail order tune from a known 3800 vendor. This will be cheaper than the above, and will likely be te most reliable option, but it won't really get the car dialed in, so you'll leave a lot on the table as far as power. They have to tune conservatively for the worst case of that setup.

I guess there is technically another option. It would give the most reliable tune and the most power, but it is also by far the most expensive- that would be getting an actual 3800 expert to tune them. The vast majority of the big 3800 shops are in the midwest, so youd either have to have a semi take all your cars up there or fly one of them out to you for a weekend.

bumpin96monte 04-27-2016 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ohara (Post 687701)
Will may be able to help you, he's not located near you but if you tell him everything done he can probably do a great tune for you and mail you the pcm. He did mine in my car and I can't say enough good things about his work. Here's a link to his website

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

I'll be honest, I didnt have much luck with him. I was looking for someone to create a base tune for my monte a while back so that I wasn't trying to make all of the changes from scratch and risk missing something. Then I could continue to dial it in from there. The big 3800 shops wouldn't touch it, but Will said he would. However, he kept going back and forth about wanting me to change some of my mods (mainly injectors) because I didn't need them - although I'm not quite sure he understood the setup fully. He also took a long time to email back each time, and eventually just never responded again. I gave up due to poor communication. Maybe he's better/more responsive with more common setups?

ChibiBlackSheep 04-27-2016 02:55 PM

I've had good luck with Will. He's helped me out with my CSC build

He's also currently working on a tune for my 2013 Camaro

beans455 04-27-2016 09:22 PM

Well for one, maybe I only have the money to mod the three vehicles I own because of how I manage money. I didn't notice that theory in your breakdown. So, the wise decision I get out of your suggestion is, since I got the money just throw it around selflessly, because I got it like that? Cmon, now man. You're obviously intelligent. 4 years ago, I was homeless. Lost it all for dope. So I'll admit I can be a cheapskate with money, because a part of that having nothing mentality still sticks with me. The $500 per car thing you ran with isn't the correct option either. That's $1500 a vehicle. 3 pulls max to change parts out while on the dyno. My experience (and this was 5 years ago and maybe things changed) when I lived in CA was $500 per vehicle/dyno tune. My though process on that was...A) that was a more common of a higher hp vehicle (srt v10 ram) B.) MS cost of living is way cheaper than CA. I would assume pricing would be less here for a dyno tune than it was in CA. But, maybe not, it was a while back. You're right though. Learning to use hpt is something I try and do every day. There's always room for improvement and I by no means can claim to be anything more than a rookie when it comes to using it. Im pretty sure I won't learn it overnight or in the next month even if I quit my jobs. I would like to get at least one of my cars done sooner than that, which I why I'm here. As far as the speed shop, I'm not going to slander anyone put anyone's business out there. All I can say about that is the ad is misleading and more importantly it's an environment I choose to stay away from so history doesn't repeat itself. I appreciate you taking the time to break that down, and do value your input. I'm not upset or trying to be some keyboard dick. (I couldn't back it up anyway, lol) thanks again bud. If I don't puss out, hopefully in the next year I'll be in the twin turbo group myself. That's a mighty big IF, though

bumpin96monte 04-27-2016 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by beans455 (Post 687814)
So, the wise decision I get out of your suggestion is, since I got the money just throw it around selflessly, because I got it like that?

I guess point is not that you have to blow money, but more that you need to have some budget for tuning, especially if you've got that kind of money in hard parts on 3 vehicles, and you can't tune them yourself.

I was just trying to lay out your possible options. Realistically, since you're nowhere near the big 3800 shops, you're cheapest option is probably to find a big LS tuner and have them do it. You're still going to be about $500 / vehicle though. One option is to sell your hpt, that alone would almost pay to tune one of he vehicles.

The $500 per car thing you ran with isn't the correct option either. That's $1500 a vehicle. 3 pulls max to change parts out while on the dyno.
I don't understand where you're getting $1500 / car. The link BBM posted shows $550 to tune each car for forced induction. About $500 is normal unless you've got a really wild setup or are having extensive street tuning done beforehand.

I also don't understand what you mean about changing parts on the dyno. You should have all of your parts installed before you take it up there. If you can't change injector values with your hpt, then just drive up on stock injectors and swap them in the parking lot.

My experience (and this was 5 years ago and maybe things changed) when I lived in CA was $500 per vehicle/dyno tune. My though process on that was...A) that was a more common of a higher hp vehicle (srt v10 ram) B.) MS cost of living is way cheaper than CA. I would assume pricing would be less here for a dyno tune than it was in CA.
From what I've seen, that's a pretty average price country wide. Sure, I've seen some places closer to $300, and some at $1k+ for really extensive tuning, but $500 is pretty average.

Also, it doesn't really matter the hp of the vehicle. A v10 isn't necessarily going to take longer to tune than an I4 or cost more (unless you're paying "exotic car tax" for something like a Ferrari). The amount of time put into it is about the same. What matters more is how different your car is from stock. Headers and an intake will take less to dial in than a car with that plus a cam, e85, bigger throttle body, etc. Honestly, your cars are on the more heavily modded end with heads/cam.

There's always room for improvement and I by no means can claim to be anything more than a rookie when it comes to using it. Im pretty sure I won't learn it overnight or in the next month even if I quit my jobs.
I can respect that for sure. Better to admit it up front than rush in and blow the motor from tweaking a setting the wrong way.

I would like to get at least one of my cars done sooner than that, which I why I'm here. As far as the speed shop, I'm not going to slander anyone put anyone's business out there. All I can say about that is the ad is misleading and more importantly it's an environment I choose to stay away from so history doesn't repeat itself.
Id google search for a semi local LS tuner with a good reputation. The 3800 isn't drastically different to tune (it is different slightly, but the concepts are basically the same). Your other option as mentioned above is to get a canned tune from one of the big 3800 tuners. It won't be nearly as dialed in, but at least it'll get you 90% there, and you can optimize it later when you get comfortable with hptuners and what to look for while data logging.