Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tune Up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Default Tune Up!

Car needs a good tune up. any parts I should avoid?. Now what do you guys recommend for parts. wires, plugs, etc etc.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Default RE: Tune Up!

Well there really aren't any parts you should avoid, it's pretty easy to do a tune up. By your screen name I'm guessing you have an '03 Monte SS which has the 3800 V6....PCV Valve, probably should do a fuel filter if you don't know the service history, trans flush if you don't know the service history and you have over 50,000 miles. Plugs I would go with AC Delco or NGK (I think they are the same plug now)....some guys here really like AutoLite.....for wires I like Bosch, but Delco is just as good. If you are looking for cool color or you want an upgraded ignition system in the futureyou can start by using MSD wires/coil packs. However, you probably don't need to change your coil packs, I have 144,000 on my '99 Z34 and my coil packs are fine.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 PM

yeah thanks for the advice, yeah I have a 03 monte SS 3.8L N/A. I have 84500 miles on this car. I did tranns flush, engine treatment, gettting new brakes (power slot most likely). I guess I could flush the powersteering, its kind of making a weird noise, plus the lights dim, seems to be a bad pump?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM

Are you sure it is the power steering pump whining? Also, anytime you have a draw on an electrical system, lights will dim. Just refer to your owner's manual for normal and abnormal function of the electrical system. I would replace the fuel filter when you do the plugs/wires...and back to the power steering---is the steering heavy and do you really have to work hard to steer the car?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Hm. I need to get a tune up also.. I need new plugs, new wires, new fuel filter, don't know if the last owner changed it.. How much does the trans fluid cost to be changed? What about a timing chain? Do I have to replace that or what, just wondering... Not meaning to intrrupt your thread Carloguy.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:44 AM

Timing chains very rarely break. Its only the timing belts that do. So don't worry about timing chain. Just the big three, plugs( ac delco platnuims), wires(champion or bosch) and fuel filter( any kind), and you'll be good to go.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM

Thank ya. Will do so.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

this is what i would do

plugs -- ngk 3403 (dont touch bosch)
wires---- anything with a lifetime warranty from any auto parts store (stay away from bosch)
fuel filter -- wix is a very good brand
air filter -- same as above
sea foam it

Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

this is what i would do

plugs -- ngk 3403 (dont touch bosch)
wires---- anything with a lifetime warranty from any auto parts store (stay away from bosch)
fuel filter -- wix is a very good brand
air filter -- same as above
sea foam it
Why do you say to stay away from Bosch? Just out of curiousity. I have Bosch wires and so far haven't had any issues with them. I do agree with not touching Bosch plugs though...lol.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: rysZ34
If you are looking for cool color or you want an upgraded ignition system in the futureyou can start by using MSD wires/coil packs.
MSD coil packs are not an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Tune Up!