Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission issue (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/transmission-issue-58960/)

mc1978 10-07-2017 09:23 AM

Transmission issue

My transmission is making a whirring noise when initially leaving the driveway ( not heard any other time except when leaving work after 8 hours). It is also slipping intermittently. It slipped once in drive and once in reverse yesterday. This is the first it's slipped in a couple months. The transmission was replaced 2 years ago and I've had to add fluid to it a few times. Before I start throwing different things at it, what's everyone thoughts? I haven't had it serviced yet. I'm hoping it's just the filter that needs to be changed as well as fresh fluid.

sharpeezss 10-07-2017 09:44 AM

really shouldn't have to add fluid unless you have a leak some where..

mc1978 10-07-2017 11:22 AM

I added fluid only because it wasn't registering on the stick at all.

bumpin96monte 10-07-2017 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mc1978 (Post 706750)
I added fluid only because it wasn't registering on the stick at all.

I think the point he was trying to make is that unlike engine oil, transmission fluid can't be 'consumed' in any way. So assuming it was properly filled to start, if it now was below the dipstick level then it's leaking out of somewhere.

Unfortunatley, if you've filled it properly and it's still slipping, I think it's just a matter of time before it needs to be pulled for a refresh.

mc1978 10-07-2017 05:48 PM

It's definitely leaking. Once I put fluid in, the whining stops and the slipping stops. I picked up a transmission filter this afternoon. I'm hoping to get that changed soon.

vincenti 10-08-2017 07:47 AM

Did that trans come with a warranty?

mc1978 10-08-2017 08:34 AM

3 month warranty from Milzy, but that was 2 years ago.

DAVESS2002 10-08-2017 09:01 AM

Put some UV dye in the transmission and figure out where it's leaking, might be one of the lines going into the radiator.

mc1978 10-08-2017 11:45 AM

Noted. Where are they located?

Auroradawnnnn 10-10-2017 07:45 PM

I'm having some tranny issues, I have a leak in the pan. I know I need it replaced, but it's not a terrible leak so I just keep buying fluid until I can save up enough to have the pan replaced. BUT, my rear passenger rotor and rear brakes were just replaced today and I thought that this was the cause of my transmission slipping, because it doesn't always do it. It's usually after I've driven and stopped at a light or stop sign a few times.. It's like it makes this weird skipping feeling, and the RPM gauge shoots up to 3 and 4 and it just doesn't want to go at all after stopping. But if I shut the car off and turn it back on after a minute or two, it will drive just fine. Other than the obvious, change your pan option, does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?