Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): Transmission Fluid Leak (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/transmission-fluid-leak-56086/)

chifan 04-29-2016 10:18 AM

Transmission Fluid Leak

I had my car at a paint shop for a little over three weeks. While there, the guys doing the work on my car noticed a slow fluid leak after a few days. I thought that was odd since my driveway shows no evidence of a leak, but they showed it to me so I know it exists. Well, I've had the car back for nine days now and still no evidence on under the car of a trans fluid leak. Anyone else experienced this problem? Is it just a seal in need of replacement that only leaks when not driven regularly?.....Even though I see no leak under my car, it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out.... I can't fix it, so I'm at the mercy of others....

BeachBumMike 04-29-2016 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by chifan (Post 687970)
I had my car at a paint shop for a little over three weeks. While there, the guys doing the work on my car noticed a slow fluid leak after a few days. I thought that was odd since my driveway shows no evidence of a leak, but they showed it to me so I know it exists. Well, I've had the car back for nine days now and still no evidence on under the car of a trans fluid leak. Anyone else experienced this problem? Is it just a seal in need of replacement that only leaks when not driven regularly?.....Even though I see no leak under my car, it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out.... I can't fix it, so I'm at the mercy of others....

:rolleyes:
Where did they show you where it was leaking ? Have you had your Monte on a rack or have you jacked up your Monte
and looked at your transmission with a bright light to see any evidence of a leak ? How many miles on your Monte ?

It's strange that there's no leak signs in your driveway.
Look forward to your reply on where they showed you ?

chifan 04-29-2016 11:35 AM

They pointed out the puddle under the engine. It is a pretty new shop, so I am confident it wasn't from another vehicle there, and they also had the same issue a couple of days later when the car was in a different spot in the shop. No, I haven't had it on a rack. There are 69.5K miles on it.

About four months ago, I had some fluid in the driveway while the car sat idle for about two weeks, but since I didn't notice it until I started driving the car regularly again, I never saw the fluid leak again after cleaning up the puddle. So I'm confident there's an issue, I just am not sure what it is... Maybe I just shouldn't let the car sit for prolonged periods of time....lol

BeachBumMike 04-29-2016 11:43 AM

>Good Luck<

I suggest checking your transmission fluid & see what the level is and how much it maybe down. Check it when it's warm and your Monte on level ground. Since it does seem to be a leak (?). I would take it to a garage your trust or if you can do it yourself (?) get under the car and make sure that your transmission pan is tight. If there is trans fluid around the pan (?) wipe it clean & then start your Monte or take it for a trip and recheck to see where it could be leaking.

It's best to take it to a trusted garage. If you have to replace the gasket, I suggest to also change your transmission filter.
Wish you good luck on finding and fixing your leak.

Oh, Don't keep driving it if your transmission fluid is really low. Hopefully it's just a lose pan or bad seal...

BeachBumMike 04-29-2016 11:48 AM

Check the below FYI

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-VGIUg_zTGE/maxresdefault.jpg

transmission coolant line leak - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo ...

montecarloforum.com › ... › Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders

Jul 30, 2012 - My 2002 stock SS is leaking transmission fluid from the metaltransmission coolant line that runs to the ... 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.leak under transmission pan(no holes) - Monte Carlo Forum ...
Aug 8, 2013

Oil leak
Nov 7, 2011

Rear Main Seal
Jan 4, 2011

Transmission Fluid Leak Fix: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 3.9L V6

chifan 04-29-2016 12:05 PM

Fluid level is fine. I checked it before leaving the paint shop, and checked it hot several times since then. The car drives fantastic. Even though I don't see a leak now, my OCD is killing me because I know it's there and I can't identify it....

Thanks for all the info.

BeachBumMike 04-29-2016 12:25 PM

You're welcome, but I understand that finding this mystery
problem(s) with your vehicle can cause a lot of concerns.

I would still recommend taking it to a trusted shop and have it inspected, or first you may want to try putting cardboard or other material under your Monte to attempt to pinpoint the area that it is leaking. Until then, I would keep checking your fluid level.

Good Luck & keep us updated. Also, check back on your thread and see if our expert member's post on this problem. I'm sure not a transmission expert. I just research a lot to seek information.

chifan 05-02-2016 11:24 AM

I have made an appointment with the Chevrolet dealership in my town to check into the issue this week. Still no sign of a leak in my driveway...

Barovelli 05-02-2016 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had this one soon after I bought it. Think I might have hit a curb stop and bumped this pipe. Fluid would only form a drip like this when it was parked a day.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/at...7&d=1462238131

I took a print of that picture to the stealership. Dealership put a dye in the transmission fluid, had me drive it for a week and then brought it back. They diagnosed it as a seal on the coolant pipe. Smart mechanics there, eh?

Never affected the driving, just left a spot on the driveway (which drives me crazy).

montedd 05-03-2016 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike (Post 687978)
You're welcome, but I understand that finding this mystery
problem(s) with your vehicle can cause a lot of concerns.

I would still recommend taking it to a trusted shop and have it inspected, or first you may want to try putting cardboard or other material under your Monte to attempt to pinpoint the area that it is leaking. Until then, I would keep checking your fluid level.

Good Luck & keep us updated. Also, check back on your thread and see if our expert member's post on this problem. I'm sure not a transmission expert. I just research a lot to seek information.

Putting the cardboard underneath is a good idea.

Getting underneath and wiping up the accumulated fluid so you can then later go under and maybe see where it is leaking is also a good idea.

From your explanation when car sits for longer period of time and then leaks points to me to a loose or bad pan gasket. When sitting all of the fluid collects in the pan and the level is actually higher than the pan/gasket.

Why not put it up on a lift or on ramps and go underneath with a small ratchet and see if the bolts are indeed loose? I have had that happen in the past and a simple slight tightening, wipe down with a rag and no more issue?

Be careful if you tighten to only exert a bit of force as it is easy to crush the cork gasket and then it will leak and you will have to replace gasket for sure.