Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Trans issue (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/trans-issue-56036/)

claydoh 04-25-2016 12:26 AM

Trans issue

Hi peeps! '03 ss pace car, just flipped to 100K, couple of days ago on interstate accelerating merging in trans shifted and started jerking/shuddering, let off gas and stopped but next upshifts did the same thing? yes, it needed the fluid/ filter service,was next on my list! It did not throw a code. took to shop they said my torque converter solenoid was "sticking",he said that cost about 3-400$ plus the fluid/filter service. he suggested to do the fluid/filter sevice and add "lube guard" also and see if that freed it up, so did that Friday,its still doing it although not as often after driving about 70 miles this weekend,and now my check engine light is on. my question is: if I take it back to have the solenoid replaced should I have them replace all the shift solenoids etc, while they are in there? also am I just buying time for an inevitable tranny rebuild down the road? thanks for any input!!

turbo monte 04-25-2016 05:28 AM

If your in there for one solenoid might as well replace them all. I would check that code before dumping money into it though. And in my opinion I feel that doing just solenoids is a bandaid, at 100k miles the trans is pretty worn I am sure and could really use a rebuild but that's just my thoughts.

claydoh 04-30-2016 02:15 AM

OK! Update, after talking with my mechanic today, he said that replacing the bad solenoid or all the solenoids in my tranny would more than likely be a waste of money and that debris and such will cause it to fail down the road thus wasting money. he said best option was to rebuild the trans if I was gonna keep the car, which I am. that being said I told him to do it, he said no more than 1500.00$, I thought that was a fair price and I trust these guys, ( you find an honest mechanic, you stay with him!) anyway my next question that occurred to me is: (a):, do they drop the whole transmission to rebuild it?, (b):, would this be the perfect time to have them replace the oil pan gasket that is so hard to get to? I was thinking for 100.$ more have them do this too?? Is this a good idea? thanks for replies guys!! I appreciate it much!! also what should I be expecting with a rebuild parts wise of replacement parts???

turbo monte 05-01-2016 12:55 AM

They will have to pull the whole trans and that will make it a perfect time to do a oil pan gasket.

Parts replacement depends on what he finds once it's opened up, for sure clutches, seals, bands, solenoids. He will have to check and inspect the hard parts and replace them if needed. I would replace the sprags also if it were me and install a hardened 4th gear hub if yours does not have one (being a 2003 I don't think it will have it) i would also personally replace the torque convertor, all the clutch material etc is inside that convertor and you don't want to reuse it and pump all that crap from the convertor back into the new trans.

plumbob 05-01-2016 08:30 AM

I agree with Turbo 100%.
As for the 4th gear hub, they changed to the hardened one mid-year '03 so better to be safe than sorry. I would have it replaced for the extra $50 or so. Also have them use a good quality Dextron VI (Synthetic) trans. fluid with the service, like Mobile 1. As for the pan gasket, be sure they use a good quality one, preferably ACDelco.

claydoh 05-05-2016 01:13 AM

Thanks guys for all the info! I appreciate it very much!!, I am having them replace my rear main seal and oil pan gasket while they have it accessable. I hope to have the car back on Thursday and hopefully it will be right!! they are also putting in the dex IV fluids , wish me luck!! : )

claydoh 05-12-2016 11:25 PM

trans update!

Ok! got my car back! they had it longer than expected but, it drives very nice!! from what is on my bill parts wise they:4t365E overhaul kit w/ pisto, 4t65E washer kit,98+ TCC solenoid,4t65E input shaft,B21H torque converter,4t65E EPC solenoid, trans fluid, lower engine gasket set. I also had them ,while down there replace the oil pan gasket, the rear main seal and cover gasket, the oil pressure switch, of course new oil, filter and antifreeze. my shop charged me $1765.00 total out the door with no tax as I paid in cash! I thought this was pretty dang good deal!! also a 12 mo./12,000 mi. warranty. the only thing ive noticed since having it back is that my steering wheel is just slightly off centered to the right when driving??? is this from removing the trans and unhooking the steering shaft then reinstalling it slightly off center? it is driving me nuts already!!!LOL! haven't called them or taken it back yet, wanted you guys opinion and knowledge first!! thanks again for all the info, it helped me out tremendously!!! Claydoh

plumbob 05-12-2016 11:51 PM

Claydoh.
An alignment is standard practice and absolutely necessary after any transmission R&R. Everything goes out of alignment. Tires will wear out quickly.

turbo monte 05-13-2016 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob (Post 689235)
Claydoh.
An alignment is standard practice and absolutely necessary after any transmission R&R. Everything goes out of alignment. Tires will wear out quickly.

That depends on how they did it. If they unbolded the struts from the knuckle then yes it needs aligned, but if they unbolted the strut from the strut mount then no alignment is needed. Or you could leave the strut and knuckle there and just pop out the lower ball joint and again would not need an alignment.

monte07 05-14-2016 05:21 AM

to be honest a rebuild they have to take out the transmission because the input shaft the torque converter sits on. that has to come out to get all the old clutches and things related to it out and all the things that failed out. to replace them with new better parts to go back in. I think it is impossible to replace those things while it is in the car. to be honest 1500 is a good price for a rebuild. When I got mine replaced with a rebuild first quote was 45k. then I found this shop where I take my car to if I cant do it. they quoted me the same price and threw in a trans cooler with it. to help keep it cool.