Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): Trans fluid full & clean, but... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/trans-fluid-full-clean-but-55864/)

SSilver 03-30-2016 02:05 PM

Trans fluid full & clean, but...

I have a 2007 Monte SS with 162,000 miles. The trans was replaced by GM at 91,000 miles. I have experienced a slip-clunk from a start on several occasions. It is happening more often, plus the trans has had a noticeable whine in all gears since I bought it with 153,000 miles...It runs very strong and shifts fine when moving, but those 2 issues have me concerned.

The trans fluid is to the full mark when cold and the fluid is very clean and red....any ideas? :(

BeachBumMike 03-30-2016 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SSilver (Post 685978)
I have a 2007 Monte SS with 162,000 miles. The trans was replaced by GM at 91,000 miles. I have experienced a slip-clunk from a start on several occasions. It is happening more often, plus the trans has had a noticeable whine in all gears since I bought it with 153,000 miles...It runs very strong and shifts fine when moving, but those 2 issues have me concerned.

The trans fluid is to the full mark when cold and the fluid is very clean and red....any ideas? :(

:rolleyes:

Sorry to read about your problem..How hard do you drive your Monte S.S. ? I found the below on the web & I hope it helps. Check back on your thread to see what other member's post...Good Luck

For anyone who comes here looking for help with the Monte Carlo or similar GM vehicle which "Bangs" "Clunks" or "Slams" into gears ( you may have noticed your transmission shifts ok for the first few minutes after you start it):

This is caused by the failure of the PSC or Pressure Control Solenoid. Thissolenoid resides inside the transmission and regulates "Line Pressure". When this solenoid goes bad, the computer notices the transmission is not shifting right and defaults to what is known as "Max Adapt / Long Shift" mode in which the line pressure is maxed out. This is what causes the harsh shifts and this is why the car will drive smoothly for a few miles after you start it and then shift harshly.

This repair requires removal of an access cover which is not easy to get at. The charge for this job is around $600, with most of this cost due to the labor involved. After this job was done, the car has been great! No problems at all in the last 20K, and we did get a local garage to do a Chemical Flush of the transmission. Again, no problems, but if your trans fluid is dark, smells burnt, or has gritty bits in it, it may be too far gone to fix like this.

Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid Failure May Cause ...

repairpal.com › Problems › Chevrolet › Monte Carlo

Erratic Shifting of the Automatic Transmission on Chevrolet Monte Carlo ... it makes a little skip. sometimes the starting from stop, it CLUNKS loudly. transmission ... I told repair shop it sounds like the bands are slipping; he said , tthis ... I ended up gettingthe Pressure Control Solenoid replaced and that solved the problem.

SSilver 03-30-2016 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike (Post 685980)
:rolleyes:

Sorry to read about your problem..How hard do you drive your Monte S.S. ? I found the below on the web & I hope it helps. Check back on your thread to see what other member's post...Good Luck

[/B]

I drive it fairly hard - I also forgot to mention that I have an inTune i1000 tune by Lew...one of the calibrations Lew does is to the line pressure, but I don't think this caused the issue. It was already there...I will look into that sensor, certainly before I drop the pan looking for trouble. :thumbsup: