Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

whats a good mod?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default whats a good mod?

okay im looking for more power and im leaning towads a power programmer. wahts a good kind and what kind of gains should i expect.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Have you deleted the U-bend on the downpipe? Have you installed a CAI? How about a front Power Log? Those mods will let loose the car horses before the programmer. Think about installing an HV3 insert, higher ratio rockers, a high flow downpipe with the U-bend deleted, a power log and a CAI. That would get the car moving, not sure on the HP's and I'm not going to guesstimate for fear of persecution, and a tuned PCM from ZZP or Intense to get all the mods to play together. Then again, What do I know?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by montyss02
Then again, What do I know?
Nothing?

Check out this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10942

Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Lol, apparently. Maybe I should start posting in Spanish. That way I can explain my self better.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by montyss02
Lol, apparently. Maybe I should start posting in Spanish. That way I can explain my self better.
ummm, what? spanish? what,im confused lol

Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM

It's an "inside joke"! You shouldn't even bother with a power programmer. I did when I first got my Monty and ended up spending $1400,00 to get a new PCM, reprogramming the it and a couple of other things, thanks to the programmer. Check on the mods mention earlier on the thread or look around the site for other mods, but stay away from the programmers.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have a laptop, you can buy a nice little tuning program for those for around $400. A CAI, a u-bend delete, or a front power log which replaces the front exhaust manifolds. Pay your money and take your pick. Don't get caught up in those little $40 chips on eBay or trick spark plugs either. Just give the money to charity if you're going to do that, it'll do more good there.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM

okay im looking for more power and im leaning towads a power programmer. wahts a good kind and what kind of gains should i expect.
what can i do to get a quick PERMANENT power boost i aint got to much money so im tring to keep it at about 300$ any ideas
You've got multiple threads started on the same day with the same basic topic- you really need to keep all the same stuff in the same thread (ie making more power).

wahts a good kind and what kind of gains should i expect.
IMO the only two real options are the DHP Powrtuner (which is no longer made, so you'd have to buy used- was $400 new) or the HPTuners which starts at $500. Obviously with either, you need a laptop.

However, you're trying so hard to find ways to make power- no one can suggest anything until you tell us all the engine mods you currently have, and how much you want to spend- then we can put you on track to what you can and should do.

Without knowing what you have done- if you're still mostly stock, I think a tuner is a bad idea. Its great for adding power and altering the car, but its no beginner mod- you're talking hours and hours of reading forums and learning how to use it. You're not going to hop right in and add 20 horsepower right away.

I did when I first got my Monty and ended up spending $1400,00 to get a new PCM, reprogramming the it and a couple of other things, thanks to the programmer. Check on the mods mention earlier on the thread or look around the site for other mods, but stay away from the programmers.
I disagree- if you buy a quality tuner like DHP PT or HPT, the risk is very minimal- and is almost completely user caused (ie unplug during a flash, let the car or laptop battery go dead mid flash, etc). While I don't think the tuner/programmer should be his next mod, a real tuner is not going to fry your pcm.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member

would a magnaflow cat get rid of the u bend, does that one just bolt on and will i see a hp increase?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
^^^ All you have to do is read that, and then read it again. And then read it once more.

Quick Reply: whats a good mod?