Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2007 Monte Carlo - Rear Crank Case Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Default 2007 Monte Carlo - Rear Crank Case Seal Leak

Just got a $734 estimate to repair the rear crank case seal that has been leaking oil.

Curious if anyone else has had this issue occur with their Monte Carlo?

Mine is a 2007 LT V6.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Default 2007 Monte Carlo - Rear Crank Case Seal Leak

Has anyone else had to have a rear crank case seal repaired because it was leaking oil?

Just got a $734 estimate to have this repaired. Seems pricey.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had the front crank case seal weeping oil and got it replaced. I paid $400 ish for that repair. But I think the rear has a bit more labor involved.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM

Hey Michael, Hows it going?

I had the front crank case seal replaced a year ago. I paid about $550, but it included the engine mounts.

It was discovered when I brought my MC into the shop for a loud vibration when sitting idle at stop lights. The engine mounts needed to be replaced. The shop determined the leak from the front crank case seal allowed oil to saturate and rot the rubber on the engine mounts.

Recently, I saw some drip spots on the driveway. The shop replaced the transmission seal and oil filter shaft. I brought the car home and saw the same drips occurring.

Took it back and the shop warrantied out the front crank case seal. I brought it home again and saw the same drips.

Took it back and they said no leaks found. When I went back to pick it up, had them put it on the rack and showed them the wet area under the car. (not sure how they missed it). They said it was the rear crank case seal and it would be a lot of work to replace it. They suggested leaving it alone. I asked for a quote - $734 and decided,,, yes I will live with the leak.

Right now I am feeling down about the car... the vents are making that pounding sound and the CD player is having a hard time ejecting CD's. I have lots of rattles in the car too.

How is your MC doing?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 AM

10 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the rear main seal issue. You can let it go for now, but you will probably need to replace it eventually, because it will probably just get worse with time/ mileage.

I think I know the pounding sound you are talking about with the vents...Does it sound like a jackhammer in the dash? Mine did the same thing (about 2 years ago now, maybe 3). I had to take it to the dealer for that one, and they hit me up for a bit over $1,000 to fix it. Stupid $40-$80 dollar actuator. It was the labor that killed it, they have to dig all the way into the dash. Word of advice, if you end up having the dash torn apart to fix one malfunctioning actuator, pay the money to replace ALL of the actuators. I replaced 1, and had to turn around and dig back into the dash 2 months later...that time I had them replace all 4 or 6 (I forget). Like I said, parts are cheap, labor is where they get you on this job.

That all said, my Monte is closing in on 170,000 miles, and runs awesome, drives great. No issues right now and haven't had any in a few years. Overall, my repairs have been very minimal for the mileage.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM

You described the vent problem to a tee! About 2 years ago, one control (the passenger side hot/cold) would go crazy if the temp was adjusted on the passenger side. I was able to live with it. I would only change the temp for that side if absolutely necessary. The sound would go for about a minute or two, then stop. If I left the control alone, I had no problem.

Well about two weeks ago, when I turned my car off, for no apparent reason another vent started jackhammering. I wasn't sure it was going to shut off, but it did after two minutes (with the car in the off position).

I thought it was a fluke, but it looks like another 1 (or 2) are going bad. The sound is softer than the first. If I leave the AC off but turn the vent on, no noise. But if I turn the AC on, I think it tries to move something around and causes the jackhammering.

It looks like I have 2 or 3 going bad. I found a video that shows how to change them out for Impala's which they say should be the same for the Monte Carlo. I may attempt it myself, but it does look like a pain.

Last year around this time as I mentioned, the engine mounts and front seal were replaced. A month before that, my AC compressor broke while driving--thankfully I as able to nurse it the dealership near my work. I spent $1200 on that plus about $550 on the mounts/seal I mentioned in the opening statement.

I am at 83,000 miles and expect the brakes will be in the near future. Not sure how long I can go with the rear crank case seal the way it is. The CD player is starting to have problems with ejection. The vents really make me feel like my car is junk--especially when I turn it off and the vent jackhammers for 2 minutes straight. ( I am very easy on my car too, I do not drive it rough)

I will say it sounds promising that you got 170,000 miles with no problems for the last couple years. That is great news. If I remember correctly you have a 2006 which is basically the same as my 2007.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 02-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i had this problem with the jack hammerig sound and replaced which i believe was a relay switch. does it come from the vents or does it sound like its coming from the glovebox? damn i wish i could find that post i did.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM

One sounds like it is above the glove box, near the top of the dash board. The other sounds like it is deep below the glove box. Both sound the same and last the same length of time. One is louder than the other though. They are also triggered by different controls on the temperature/AC/Heater console.

I think I heard another in the center of the dashboard a couple of times. Which leads me to think three components total. This third one I don't hear often.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

This thread will tell you all you need to know about the air conditioning tapping sound. I get it with mine but very rarely.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...-noises-31390/

Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 AM

10 Year Member

It's definitely your actuators. Like I mentioned, the labor is what will get you with this problem. Just make sure to spend the extra few bucks and replace ALL of the actuators once you are into the dash...even if you tackle it yourself.

The actuators were the biggest issue i've had with my Monte and most expensive. LOL I totally know what you mean, makes you feel like you are driving a pile of crap while it's hammering away. Fix it and you will be a happy camper.

Just for reference here is a list of my probs to date with 170K. Note: I bought it new.
-60K Thermostat
-65K Water pump (warranty)
-98K ISS (warranty)
-Don't even remember, but around 135K, (actuators)
-155K Front crank seal

That in my opinion is a pretty small list of issues, and pretty minor issues for a car that has almost 170K on it. I am sure in my future i'll be rebuilding the tranny, but as of now, its still shifting firm and well. It's done an occasional slip on me, but nothing regular.