Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   stage 2 question (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/stage-2-question-32445/)

d8lejrmonte 11-30-2011 02:29 PM

stage 2 question

hello, i was searching for some mods for my 04 monte ss. and came across some performance packages. i was wondering if anybody has had some experience with these comps and which package you think is the best deal? im not looking to make a race car jus looking for extra pwr for the best price. thanks

3800performance:$529
3800SC Stage 2 Performance Package Includes:
  • Reprogrammed v1.0 PCM
  • 160-degree or 180-degree SLP Performance Parts Thermostat
  • your choice of either a 3.4” or 3.25” pulley
  • your choice of either a Press-On Pulley or the upgraded Thrasher Modular Pulley System
  • Thrasher Cold Air Induction Kit with the option to upgrade to the MSP Cold Air Induction System
  • Goodyear Gatorback Supercharger Belt
  • Optional Coolant Recovery Bottle for 1997-1998 owners
  • Optional Intake F-duct for 1997-1998 owners upgrading to the MSP CAI System
  • Optional Thrasher Supercharger Pulley Puller Tool for Rental or Purchase
ZZperfomance:$604
adds est 40hp
  • ZZP 3800 CAI with 4" K&N filter
  • ZZP 1.0 pcm
  • 3.4" Modular pulley system ('04+ Grand Prix, & Monte/Impala SS comes with a 3.6" pulley)
  • 658 supercharger belt
  • ZZP 3" bolt in aluminized cat'd downpipe (bolts up to stock or 2.5" catback) with gaskets
  • Autolite 104 spark plugs (set of 6)
  • 180* thermostat and gasket
intense-racing:$836
Add 50 WHP (60 CHP) to your supercharged car!
The INTENSE™ Level 2 L67/L32 Performance Package includes:

ChibiBlackSheep 11-30-2011 02:38 PM

I wouldn't worry about "kits" and "stages" as each car is different.

I would worry about reading this thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/he...n-3800s-10942/

And you have the L67.

d8lejrmonte 11-30-2011 03:32 PM

ok thanks.

zipper 11-30-2011 07:17 PM

Do NOT but from Intense. And like Chibi said, check out that link.

d8lejrmonte 12-01-2011 07:53 AM

i take it you had a bad experience with them? i started reading it but havent finished

ChibiBlackSheep 12-01-2011 08:16 AM

Intense likes to just sell you smaller pulleys and not prep you for the KR.

d8lejrmonte 12-01-2011 10:50 AM

o ok...i just finished reading that article. i learned alot from that. i wish i would knew this much when i had my 98 gp gt a few years back lol. thanks again chibi. is it really hard to do your own tuning?

z34phoenix 12-01-2011 12:46 PM

tuning isnt the easiest thing to do. its not the hardest either, but the thing is, you can do a lot of damage if you change the wrong thing.

i always recommend people to get a tuner. and in the past i have mentored people trying to learn. when i tune a persons car i explain every change. that way they know what is going on and why. i've never been a fan of keeping it all a secret. there are things like my Spark table i made for the DOHC engines that i wont just give out to people as i spent a lot of time making it and fine tuning. but if you want to get a tuner and need questions answered i'll help and im sure there are many others out there who will. if your still having issues i'll take the data scans you make and your stock bin and help you with a few files. just dont abuse my help.

i feel everyone that starts to mod their car beyond an intake and exhaust should learn about tuning. i just wouldnt trust it to someone else.

ChibiBlackSheep 12-01-2011 01:00 PM

Tuning is a very nice thing to be able to do yourself. I have dabbled as a friend had a DHP, and he helped me tune my Monte. But I am definitely purchasing an HPTuner for next year I would NEVER do my turbo build without my own tuning.

d8lejrmonte 12-01-2011 02:45 PM

thanks z34, i def wont abuse the help. i love to learn new things and once i learn and get good at it ill be able to help others as well. i dont mind helping others at all. so hptuner is a good thing to have huh.