Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Retweet from my original post Need help w/Tourqe Converter seal R&R... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/retweet-my-original-post-need-help-w-tourqe-converter-seal-r-r-60115/)

ThickAndHeavyLikeAChevy 08-28-2018 08:14 PM

Retweet from my original post Need help w/Tourqe Converter seal R&R...

Man I'm glad I came across the Monte Carlo forums just took on a 2000 LS 3400 six gen Monte Carlo from an older gentleman that bought the m/c for $1800.00 from a mechanic who inherited it from his late grandmother who left him the car with 107k and from what I can tell very decent shape well The mechanic sold the car to an older successful farm owner who is enjoying his retirement and drinks allot and had the car for a couple weeks when he some how ruptured one of the small lines that transfer the tranny fluid to the rad for cooling... All of or majority of fluid leaked,,, he then proceeded to cut the rubber line couple it back together and drive further until he realized it was leaking from the body of the tranny... not sure how far he drove it without fluid but the transmission is in epic leak mode... The original owner and mechanic wanted 1000 dollars to apparently, "drop the tranny" and replace, "seal that is between torque converter and output shaft"... I was told if I can come up with $500.00 I can have it I live a mile from the mechanics shop in East Mesa, AZ. filled it up with Lucas stop leak and a blue devil treatment and drove it very carefully and easy to my place where I plan on taking on this task of fixing the epic leak and I mean epic it leaked a nice steady trail all the way to my house I had to pull over and top off because the already dwindling power felt less than at about the midway point... also I was hearing a clicking sound that would become greater unless I backed of the gas I got into a rhythm of pumping the accelerator to lessen the click and engage the trans more... i might get some backlash for driving but according to blue devil it will seal any seal and instructions were to add it and drive until leak stops but I cant afford to buy that kind of Lucas or atf So I've been on you tube google every where I am just learning that I have a 4T65-E Trans and cannot really find the YouTube video where the transmission is being
dropped from transmission looks like what I have seen so far is pulling trans side wheel suspension driveshaft and the seal is right behind the driveshaft so I really need a good manual and I know these forums lookout for our fellow enthusiast and after I post this I will start delving into some research so I can get started... a little background I have always done all my own mechanical work on my vehicles never abandoned a job for being to big or too advanced for myself I just did the research and rolled my sleeves up and I think If I do have to drop the tranny I should be fine when I was 16 I helped one of my moms boyfriends r and r a tranny so been a while but up for it... open to any advice I can get the more prepared I am the better so bring it on... the part is 7.99 at local AutoZone so ill wait to see if anything else I might need while having the tranny down....

Update: the shop told me the seal I need to replace is the Torque Converter Seal which would involve dropping the whole tranny so apparently I was chasing the output seal which was so much easier and found out I was wishing on a star so I guess I will start looking for some manuals on transmissions somewhere in the forums here and focus on the T/C Seal...

Any help advice is appreciated...

bumpin96monte 08-29-2018 08:20 PM

Not to be rude, but I think you'd get more feedback if you cut this down a bit and added some punctuation. It's a bit hard to follow to be honest.