Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Rear valve cover grommet (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/rear-valve-cover-grommet-34380/)

jasonsmith 02-21-2012 04:53 PM

Rear valve cover grommet

02 Monte LS 3.4L.

I'm looking for the grommet for the rear valve cover that the plastic pipe goes into from the throttle body. Does anyone have a part number or something from the parts store that will work?

I noticed this grommet is stuck onto that plastic pipe when I had pulled it out last. And the pipe/grommet doesn't want to stay all the way in the valve cover. So I figured I'd replace the grommet while I had the valve covers off while doing a LIM gasket replacement.

I went to the dealer and it seems this grommet is apart of the valve cover.

The_Maniac 02-21-2012 05:35 PM

To my knowledge, that is a dealer item. The 3100 has the same grommet and I know person who replaced it, at the time had to buy that vacuum line that goes with the grommet.

My 3100 '94 Grand Am (same basic engine as your 3400) has an issue with the same grommet. It has a loose fit on the hard plastic vacuum line. So far car runs fine, I've left it.

You might be able to remove the grommet and have it sized at a parts store (like in the Dorman Help isle, as it sounds like something Dorman would make). Just make sure it's either made for use on a valve cover OR handles high temp situations.

jasonsmith 02-21-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 424904)
To my knowledge, that is a dealer item. The 3100 has the same grommet and I know person who replaced it, at the time had to buy that vacuum line that goes with the grommet.

My 3100 '94 Grand Am (same basic engine as your 3400) has an issue with the same grommet. It has a loose fit on the hard plastic vacuum line. So far car runs fine, I've left it.

You might be able to remove the grommet and have it sized at a parts store (like in the Dorman Help isle, as it sounds like something Dorman would make). Just make sure it's either made for use on a valve cover OR handles high temp situations.

Do you know of a part number? As I couldn't find it, nor could the dealer. As that rear valve cover doesn't show up on the parts schematic.

The last time I looked at the grommet, it looked like a special grommet. But I'll have to look again.

lougreen03 02-21-2012 05:57 PM

maybe this will help. W ENGINE ASM-3.4L V6 PART 2 CYLINDER HEAD & RELATED PARTS (LA1/3.4E);. Fits: 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

jasonsmith 02-21-2012 06:15 PM

I pulled that plastic pipe and looked at it again. It looks like that grommet may be apart of the plastic tube vs. a grommet you press into the valve cover. As the end of the plastic tube has a lip on it like it is to retain the grommet on the plastic tube.

I'll order another tube and go from there. The nice thing is all these parts are still available. On my other older V8 GM car, you had to go to the junk yard.

The_Maniac 02-21-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsmith (Post 424926)
I pulled that plastic pipe and looked at it again. It looks like that grommet may be apart of the plastic tube vs. a grommet you press into the valve cover.

If you are looking at what I think you are, the plastic tube runs around back, just a little or almost under the ICM and coil assembly. If that's the case, it is a grommet in the valve cover and the plastic tube has a "barb" like fitting to press into it (like the fitting that presses into the tube from the air box to the throttle body).

Due to high heat, that end of the tube might disfigure a little or the grommet melts on to it a little.

It you're going to get both the grommet and the tube, you should be all good.

jasonsmith 02-21-2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 425107)
If you are looking at what I think you are, the plastic tube runs around back, just a little or almost under the ICM and coil assembly. If that's the case, it is a grommet in the valve cover and the plastic tube has a "barb" like fitting to press into it (like the fitting that presses into the tube from the air box to the throttle body).

Due to high heat, that end of the tube might disfigure a little or the grommet melts on to it a little.

It you're going to get both the grommet and the tube, you should be all good.

I'm gonna get a new tube. Read in the parts description that it says come with grommet.

I may have to replace that other plastic tube that runs to the back of the upper intake. I've read of that piece breaking when removing that sensor or whatever it is on the back of the upper intake. I noticed the end of that tube has tape wrapped around it where it plugs into the intake. So, I say the guy who did the LIM years ago probably broke or cracked something and taped it back up to prevent an air leak instead of replacing it.

The_Maniac 02-22-2012 06:14 AM

Depending how much the vacuum plastic tubes are, if it's more then you car to spend, sometimes you can replace or repair them with rubber vacuum line.

Bait 02-26-2012 03:50 PM

HI mine is bad too. I noticed when I went to put on my Wizaired. I did a bit of research myself and found nothing. Any help will be appreciated. I am sure we are not alone.