Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Pics, New Precision of New Hampton Torque Converter (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/pics-new-precision-new-hampton-torque-converter-59799/)

ZIPPY02 06-06-2018 12:58 AM

Pics, New Precision of New Hampton Torque Converter

3 Attachment(s)
Well the Monte is back in the shop, surprise surprise surprise. I think it lives there. But this time it is voluntary, thankfully nothing is broken. The past dyno session revealed my existing torque converter was no longer optimal with the Holley systems ability to tune from the low end of the power band to the top and everything in between. So I knew after the Autorama it would need to have a converter swap sooner than later if I was to take full advantage of all the parts and efforts recently thrown at it.

We settled on a converter by "Precision of New Hampton" and their "High Performance" line of converters. They will custom build this ultimate one for us. Interestingly enough TEP uses the same company for their converters. Don't know if they use this line as there is another "Street Performance" model offered. This one here being built will be the balls to the wall race stall converter one. We expect to gain 15% more power to the wheels with this converter.

It will have 'Triple Disc Clutches" Here is from their site..

Precision's Triple Disc Clutch is the ultimate option when building a converter that will TRULY stand above the rest.

The Triple Disc retains lockup for efficiency without durability issues and will virtually ELMINATE SLIPPAGE by providing a vastly increased clutch surface.

Did you know that slippage is one of the main causes of transmission failure?

That's right, every time the clutch slips, the clutch surface becomes HOTTER, eventually causing the surface to glaze over and become VERY SLIPPERY and VERY BRITTLE.

When the clutch surface becomes more and more slippery, the clutch slips EVEN MORE. The eventual brittleness leads to tiny pieces breaking away and where do they go?

That's right. The clutch debris passes through to the transmission and eventually, with enough pieces, your transmission will break down, causing costly repairs.

Precision's TRIPLE DISC CLUTCH, while giving you optimal performance, SAVES YOUR TRANSMISSION as well!

Then their "MultiRoller Sprag" option, excerpt from their site:

A multi roller sprag is a high performance replacement for the regular sprag that is more often installed.

It encapsulates all parts tighter with VERY strict quality control. The main motivation for a multi roller sprag versus a regular sprag is greater durability and increased vehicle response time. The multi roller sprag does not contribute to any loss of speed, a spragless converter does.

Note the wording that says "Increased vehicle response time" Like that aspect.

Then it will be reinforced with anti-ballooning and reinforcing metal plates.

Precision of New Hampton wants your converter to last as long, if not LONGER than the rest of your ride.

Bearing that in mind, another option offered is converter reinforcement. An EXTRA metal reinforcement plate is added to the converter. This plate in conjuction with our anti-balloon plate, gives Precision's made racer that extra edge in preventing ballooning of the converter under the most EXTREME conditions

Other great aspects of this converter build:

Precision High Performance Racing Converters

Designed for EXTREME racing, Rock Climbers, Mudders, Kart Racing, Desert Racing, Dirt Track Racing, and All Other Off-Road Applications. 10" Diameter Stall speeds from 2500 to 6000 and beyond.

These torque converters are built per your indicated specifications. Units will normally ship no later than one day after placement of order

Billet Cover option is standard for all High Performance Racing Converters and is available as an option for some Street Performance Racing Converters.

Converter balancing:

Whether a converter is welded or furnace brazed, your converter NEEDS to be REBALANCED INSIDE and OUT for peak efficiency and to eliminate any vibration. Most competitors do not even have the balancing equipment!

Precision of New Hampton, Inc. is the ONLY COMPANY IN THE INDUSTRY that balances each individual part to within 1 gram.

Balancing issues can cause metal fatigue, efficiency loss, horsepower loss and inevitable early torque converter failure.

Our furnace brazing process completely laminates the turbine and the impeller. This effectively makes your converter one piece, leaving no weak link in your converter to cause a failure. The majority of our competitors weld their converters.

Welding only holds at individual spots, creating a converter that is only as strong as its weakest weld. Furthermore, welding changes the flow throughout the converter by causing cavitation or disruption of flow.
Furnace brazing ensures that there is no flexing of the turbine, no more cavitation or disruption of flow, providing more raw power to your tires.

Every tab on a Precision racing torque converter is of equal strength to any other; all due to the furnace brazing process. A welded converter is only as strong as the weakest weld.

Bottom LIne - Welding in the turbine process results in a DIRECT LOSS of EFFICIENCY and HORSEPOWER. Is that what you want for you or your customers

Most competitor's performance converters come with turbine splines that have a hardness of 0. This rating is just inadequate for the application and too often, the result ..... IMMEDIATE CONVERTER FAILURE

Precision uses hardened turbine splines, virtually eliminating a major reason for torque converter failure. 90% of the time it happens right at the starting line.

The input splines on the tranny have a hardness rating of 35 on the Rockwell scale of C; the mismatch with the 0 rating on the turbine shears the splines right off of the turbine.

Another step that the competition skips - a cost cut that will only cost you in the long run.

Precision installs a redesigned stator to give you maximum torque multiplication equaling MORE horsepower to your tires. (NICE)

Precision racing side performs so many other unique applications while building racing converters. The competitors DON'T and consequently, Precision has patented the process on these special practices.

Those features combined with UNBEATABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE are what makes our racing converters the ONLY CHOICE for your race car.

So I'm hoping this goes well and the results are rewarding. Yet a chance still lingers we may yet again have to re-do the converter configuration if this is not exactly what we are hoping for. It is a week turn around to get a new one. So it will be what it will be, after all its only money...:thumbsup: This may be the last KEY piece to the puzzle. Later this month June 23rd at our local 1/4 mile drag track we are having the 801Street Car Shoot Out. Boosted GT from Street Outlaws ran last year. Anyway the aspect I like and will be driving in is the Roll Racing. Go through the gate at 30MPH and then mat it you have a 1/4 mile to pull off a win, lose or pop your motor, wreck :eek:. I hoping this new configuration of mine pulls like all hell is after us. Will be running the 104 octane with water / meth, drag radials and a real tight suspension adjustment.:wtf::nono::cool::eek::nono::wtf:

Jeffs02rwdSS 06-06-2018 06:27 AM

Awesome stuff buddy , can't wait to hear the results:thumbsup: Let's hope this gives you the power to the wheels where it belongs.

bumpin96monte 06-06-2018 09:40 PM

Excuse my ignorance on performance 4t65 converters, but will you be able to lock WOT with the triple clutch?

ZIPPY02 06-07-2018 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 711944)
Excuse my ignorance on performance 4t65 converters, but will you be able to lock WOT with the triple clutch?

Yes, it will handle the strain / stress much better than a single clutch too.