Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Oh No...Bad fuel pump? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/oh-no-bad-fuel-pump-60417/)

2004DaleJr.SS 12-12-2018 04:12 PM

Oh No...Bad fuel pump?

Well it looks like my fuel pump is dying. Since i plan on going turbo in the future i'm looking to
upgrade the pump itself. I see that the Aeromotive pump is the way to go. Is the Stealth 340 #11569
the best to go with?

Thanks all.

bumpin96monte 12-12-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS (Post 715489)
Well it looks like my fuel pump is dying. Since i plan on going turbo in the future i'm looking to
upgrade the pump itself. I see that the Aeromotive pump is the way to go. Is the Stealth 340 #11569
the best to go with?

Thanks all.

I wouldn't necessarily say Aeromotive is THE way to go, there are plenty of companies that make good pumps and Aeromotive has its share of junk (how many people have cooked A1000s? Lol). Not to say they dont make good stuff, just that they're not necessarily the only good game in town.

However, we dont have enough information to help you. We need the target power level and the fuel you plan to run. A stock 3800 with a base NIC turbo kit on pump gas needs way less fuel than a 800 whp 3800 on e98.

2004DaleJr.SS 12-12-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 715490)
I wouldn't necessarily say Aeromotive is THE way to go, there are plenty of companies that make good pumps and Aeromotive has its share of junk (how many people have cooked A1000s? Lol). Not to say they dont make good stuff, just that they're not necessarily the only good game in town.

However, we dont have enough information to help you. We need the target power level and the fuel you plan to run. A stock 3800 with a base NIC turbo kit on pump gas needs way less fuel than a 800 whp 3800 on e98.

Thats a very good point. I apologize for not giving more info. Right now i'm stock and i was going to go with an AC Delco pump assembly but i figure i would just change the pump itself. Future plans are an Intense S1X turbo cam, ZZP Z3 kit make no more than 14 psi, ZZP 3" catback, 60lbs injectors and other bolt ons. Looking to make around 350whp. I've been on other sites and have seen people complain about Walbro, AEM, and Aeromotive. So im looking to change the pump to an upgraded pump while i'm in there. Forgot to add, i'll run gas. Thanks.

2004DaleJr.SS 12-13-2018 11:39 AM

No one can tell me what fuel pump to go with? Aeromotive told me yesterday that they don't have a pump
for my 2004 Monte Carlo SS. Yet their Stealth 340 #11569 is the same as the Walbro 255lph and ZZP's AEM 320lph pump. So they got me confused.
So i'm trying to find out who's pump to get. Walbro? Aeromotive? AEM?
Can use some ideas fellas.

bumpin96monte 12-13-2018 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS (Post 715496)
No one can tell me what fuel pump to go with?

It has barely been a day since you provided the necessary info. This is pretty small forum, so you wont necessarily get responses that quick.

Aeromotive told me yesterday that they don't have a pump
for my 2004 Monte Carlo SS. Yet their Stealth 340 #11569 is the same as the Walbro 255lph and ZZP's AEM 320lph pump. So they got me confused.
So i'm trying to find out who's pump to get. Walbro? Aeromotive? AEM?
Can use some ideas fellas.
Any will work for that power level and give plenty of headroom at your power level. Walbro used to be the #1 for a long time, but as you noted there are other options in the same size package now. IMO any of the 3 are good options, what is most important is to buy a real unit not a knockoff. There are a ton of fakes nowadays.

Personally, I put in a Walbro shortly after my swap 10+ years ago. Ran that until a couple years ago when I swapped to E85. I bought another Walbro to add to it, but unfortunately it was a fake and didn't last a year. Now I've got dual AEM 320 E85 pumps for about a year now with no issues. Seen plenty of locals run the Aeromotive 340 as well. I'll caveat that by saying I've got a 96, so the physical fitment may be different for you. Running dual pumps, I custom modified my bracket anyways.

The one thing I will say is that the Walbro will draw the least current - I want to say they only run about 10 amps where most of the bigger pumps are closer to 15.

2004DaleJr.SS 12-16-2018 09:50 PM

Thanks Bumpin for your help. After talking to Aeromotive i'm leaning toward the Stealth 340 #11569 since it
has has the offset inlet. I'm getting real excited about modding this car. I'm use to modding my old '95 Z28 M6, my '99 Camaro SS M6, and my
2002 WS6 A4. This will be my first FWD car and first turbo setup. So i'm sure i'll have questions for you.

Den

turbo monte 12-20-2018 03:25 AM

I started out with a walbro 255 and had it for about 4yrs issue free. I maxed the 255 out at 500whp on pump gas and then moved into a walbro 485. The 485 took me to 665whp on pump gas with room to grow.