Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): New vs rebuilt Transmission (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/new-vs-rebuilt-transmission-44147/)

bowtiebandit23 07-30-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 561892)
8 quarts of Dexron 6 :thumbsup:

DONE AND DONE!! thanks for the help guys:thumbsup: gonna have to wait a few weeks before I get some down time to go elbow deep in her but this info definitely helps out mucho!

JC Colon 07-30-2013 05:22 PM

Chibi, you always have good info. As many times as I have been under my car, I never looked at the Trans pan to see what is on it. Hopefully It's not like my X-wife's Ford tourism, where you have to drop the exhaust in order to get the pan off?
Bandit, I have the Haynes manual for 00 to 05 Montreal Carlo if you need the torque specs. You have to be carefully not to torque the bolts down toomuch or they WILL Snap! :wtf:

ZIPPY02 07-30-2013 07:21 PM

Your full of good info to JC, thanks for helping Bowtie out. There is nothing in the way of the pan, undo the bolts and it drops right out free and clear. I believe the bolts are metric 13. The filter is if I remember right just a twist and pull set up. You really have to tug on her while twisting the filter at the same time. I made sure to add a dab of tranny fluid to the filter tube prior to reinserting it back into the hole. I twisted and pushed and still had to tap it into place with a rubber mallet. You can re-use the transmission pan gasket if it's in good condition. It is a rubber coated metal one and is intended to be re-used. No need to buy a new $30 gasket if the old one came off undamaged in one piece. I had a magnet epoxied in to place inside my aluminum pan to catch the miniscule metal particles the filter does not get. And there is always some metallic sludge by my magentic drain plug. On the steel OEM pans you can just stick a good hd magnet inside the pan from home depot or someplace and it will catch metal particles till your next change. Good luck, pretty simple operation. :) :)

ChibiBlackSheep 07-30-2013 07:35 PM

Just for safe doing, I usually recommend replacing the gasket. It's worth the money so you don't lose all of that new fluid in my opinion.

I'm not sure if they are a 13mm bolt, they were pretty small... could even be a 10mm, but that doesn't matter! Just have a decent set of metric and you'll be fine :)

ZIPPY02 07-30-2013 07:42 PM

My mechanic Matt is the one who said why fix it if it is not broken, mine was just fine, but then I replaced my fluid twice last year. Says most transmission shops do not replace the gasket during a filter change and still hit you up for $100 for fluid and labor. Just trying to pass on good information and help a bruther save a buck.... :) :)

turbo monte 07-30-2013 07:56 PM

i agree with zippy here, i dont replace the trans pan gasket unless it is damaged and ive never had a leak (knock on wood)

if i remember right chibi you are correct on the bolts being 10mm

JC Colon 07-30-2013 09:01 PM

Sorry if my Old Skowel brain isn't up to date, But with the help and knowledge of all you good folks of MCF, I'm being Upgraded! Lol The last car I did a Trans filter and fluid on was my 94 Altima. It had a cork gasket. (REPLACE every time you remove the pan) So you guys and gals are Learnin me Stuff. My Monte is actually the first "New Millennium" car I've owned. They got a lot of Funky new Gadgets in them I gotta learn. Fortunately there are still several Blank Pages in my Brain. So Let the knowledge spill in!

bowtiebandit23 08-02-2013 02:58 PM

JC Colon' saw your post in the other thread.. I think I might do the same and use tax return check towards transmission :congrats::rotfl: completely forgot about that nice "free" money beginning of the year

tps221 08-02-2013 05:54 PM

Full fluid swap asap I bet at that mileage its original fluid and too weak to keep the pressure right

JC Colon 08-02-2013 06:23 PM

BOWTIEBANDIT, I used my 2011 return to buy my Monte. This last one to get the new rims and tires and have some other needed work done on her and the old lady's Lexus. I always use my income tax for Big purchases. I furnished our new apartment one year.

Tps221, I am about to turn over 17300. In my opinion, my Monte was neglected by her previous owner. I've given her a lot of Love & Kisses, the kisses only after shes been washed. Lol. I think my Trans fluid is original, only topped off. So I'm doing Fluid and filter this w/e. I'm thinking about adding a quart of Lucas Trans fix to the mix. But I'm not sure. At any rate, I'm hoping it will hold out until Tax time!
I just got an oil change today. Trying ti have her ready first the Meet on the 18th. Fun, Fun, Fun!