Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Might be the end :( (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/might-end-40844/)

Yellowjacket 01-13-2013 06:06 PM

Might be the end :(

Hey guys does any have any idea what happened? Here it goes. I was doing about 140mph and then slowed down to about 120 and then floored it. Black smoke came out and it wouldnt speed up and sounded and felt like it was misfiring. Then when I stopped it died and now it wont start at all. It tries to turn over but wont. I noticed smoke pouring out of my intake filter. So I took it off and could really notice smoke coming right out the throttle body. Any idea on what went? I am so pissed right now. I have done so much work and money on this engine. :(

jimbo7 01-13-2013 06:11 PM

they can go that fast!?

you wont know till you pull the heads

STUMPMI 01-13-2013 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket (Post 520059)
Hey guys does any have any idea what happened? Here it goes. I was doing about 140mph and then slowed down to about 120 and then floored it. Black smoke came out and it wouldnt speed up and sounded and felt like it was misfiring. Then when I stopped it died and now it wont start at all. It tries to turn over but wont. I noticed smoke pouring out of my intake filter. So I took it off and could really notice smoke coming right out the throttle body. Any idea on what went? I am so pissed right now. I have done so much work and money on this engine. :(

You fried it! I have never seen black smoke out of the Intake....EVER!

Maybe it ate you catalitic converter?/ Or you got it so hot...The intake started Melting? What did it smell like????

A) Barbecue
B) Chimney soot
C) I have no idea?

Yellowjacket 01-13-2013 06:38 PM

black smoke was out the exhaust and white smoke out intake. It smelt a little like oil. And yes they go that fast. I've gotten it to 150.

Mike 00LS 01-13-2013 07:35 PM

Well the common colors:
* Black Smoke = Fuel / Running Rich
* Blue Smoke = Oil
* White Smoke = Water/Coolant, Running Lean

I'm thinking you have an injector that is stuck open, or is acting up. At the speed you were doing, punching it is going to make the car really pump fuel and if the fuel regulator is acting up or the injector is messed up you're just dumping all that fuel into the intake.

You probably just flooded it real good, and the engine is going to burn up that fuel (or try to, especially with the internal heat - until it dies). Take a lawn mower for example (even though they use carbs) - prime them 15 times and try to start it, they sputter and smoke and die. Or better yet, hit the primer while they're running. I'm guessing that's what you did. The motor probably isn't toast.

Yellowjacket 01-13-2013 07:44 PM

Yea I'll look into the fuel because it has #60 injectors and billet fuel rail and upgraded fuel pump so maybe it is flooded.

03SSLE 01-13-2013 07:48 PM

Kill power to your injectors and ignition, pull the plugs and crank the engine over a few times to help purge the cylinders.

Yellowjacket 01-13-2013 07:57 PM

Yea I will try that but gotta wait till tuesday for that to happen. My work scheduel is crazy and no time to look at it till tuesday.

The_Maniac 01-13-2013 10:28 PM

Depending on your mods, you may need a tune to handle what you're doing (especially traveling 100+). Or if it was tuned, it may need re-checked, perhaps something is not quite right.

BTW - Not to sound like a kill joy, but unless you were on a road way designed and posted for that rate of speed, I would suggest not driving that speed. I know driving fast is fun, but at that high a speed a lot can happen (plus if your tires are not rated for that speed, you could be asking for a serious blow out). *If* anything bad happened, someone innocent could be injured or worse.

Yellowjacket 01-14-2013 06:20 AM

It's got a lot of mods and yea I am hoping it is just the tune and nothing to major because if it's going to be a major repair then I'm done with Monte's and will part out the good parts.

And yes my tire are rated for that speed. And I know what you mean and I would never go that speed in normal driving areas. The area we had was meant for it. Well at least blocked off and no other cars on road or people around the area. I would never put someone else at risk.