Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

comp cams!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Cool comp cams!!!

Looking to put in a com cam but like to know does it give you more HP with out upgrades to the valve train components,lifters and all other upgrades to the the top end,Or should I just get it all upgraded?? Also does a comp cam make your car sound better?

Thanks

P.S I got a 2000 monte carlo SS..LOL

Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM

What performance are you expecting from the upgrade? What cam are you looking at? You can buy a mild cam and not have to worry about up grading the valve train, but you may need a bit of tuning for the higher mild cams. Keep in mind that the higher you go in cam lift the more changes to the valve train will be required, ex: Springs, Push Rod length.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My GT1 cam: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=123&catid=104 was the first mod done to my Monte. You can get that cam and not worry about anything else, however, 105# valve springs are recommended because you will want to have your PCM tuned in order to raise your shift points (somewhere between 6200-6500rpm). You won't notice a cam unless you have made your exhaust louder, then it will have a nice sound to it.

Now let me say this too, because this is from personal experience. Do not do a NA build. Instead of looking for a cam right now, just do a top swap first and then look for the right cam to use with that setup (such as the XP cam). You'll get more power, especially for the price.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 AM

Hey zipper,what is the best way to tune my pcm?Is there a good tuner I can buy? And for my exhaust I just cut the muffs off and replace my resanater with a jerry bomb and it sounds pretty sweet. Also I'm not to sure what a n/a build is and what type of top swap?

Thanks zipper

Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member

The best way to have your PCM tuned is to have it dyno tuned. I go to ZZP's shop in Grand Rapids, MI to do that. Other people have their own tuner and tune their cars out on the road or on the dragstrip. The best tuner for our cars is what's called a Powertuner. They no longer make them anymore, but if you look here: http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tt.asp?appid=32 they do show up every now and then for about $250-400.

NA in the automotive world refers to Naturally Aspirated. This means that the engine is working under its own power, there is no nitrous, no supercharger, and no turbocharger. I went the NA route, probably spent $4k or so and ended up making 222whp. I do consider it an accomplishment, but if I would have spent that money on a turbocharger build, I'd probably have made something like 400whp. So I regret going that route and I highly recommend doing something other then an "NA build" with our v6's.

A top swap refers to removing the top end (the heads on up) of an engine and replacing it with a top end of a different engine. In the 3800 v6 world, this would mean that you would take the top end off of an NA 3800 (which is commonly called an L36) and replace it with the top end of a supercharged 3800 (AKA L67). The top swap is affordable in terms of modifying and usually cost somewhere between $300-1000. You end up with a supercharged 3800 with higher compression this way, making more hp.

Then if you decide to install a cam, I highly recommend getting headers too, because you will reduce a LOT of KR (Knock Retard) and gain even more hp.

If you need anything, don't feel like any question is a stupid question. We're here to help.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM

I really appreciate the tips and the detailed information zipper. I can always count on you and the forum. Also I'm sure I got a few more stupid questions left...but I'm learning fast.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Hey zipper by the way,how would I go about the top swap, should I Pull one from another car or buy one brand new? I take it the L36 and L67 have the same block as well?! Also would it be best to go the sc rout or the tc rout or could I have a turbo charger and the L67 top end?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Hey zipper by the way,how would I go about the top swap, should I Pull one from another car or buy one brand new? I take it the L36 and L67 have the same block as well?! Also would it be best to go the sc rout or the tc rout or could I have a turbo charger and the L67 top end?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member

Seriously, we all start somewhere, myself included so I completely understand when people have questions that to others seems dumb. You are correct, both the L36 and L67 share the same block, but once you get to the heads on up, they are different and that's why if you want a supercharger it's the only practical way of going supercharged. Before you actually do it though, search the internet for "top swap" and try to see what others have run into doing the top swap. I've never done it before, but I do know that not only will you have to swap the top end of the engine, you will have to swap the balancer (a really big crank pulley) as well. There are members on here who have done the top swap too, so try to find their threads and talk to them about their situations (a member named Enzo comes to mind).

Other things to know: The L67 has a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and the L36 has a CR of 9.4:1. This means that you will make more power but you will have to use larger pulley's or do other modifications before you can even do the stock size supercharger pulley (which is a 3.8" pulley).

As far as doing a super/turbo build, it is commonly known as a twincharged 3800 and there are very few people who have gone that route. I think it's a cool way to go, but it's also difficult and very VERY few people have done it, so not a whole lot of people will be able to help you if you run into unique problems (such as tuning issues).

If you decide to buy a top swap here's a good list of things to look for: http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...Kit-p-157.html

I'm not saying that you should buy that kit per se but it is a good list of all the parts that you need. Check out the classified section at Clubgp (the link I provided above). I've seen top swaps go for as low as $300 on there. Aside from buying a new kit, your other option is to buy a totalled Grand Prix GTP and take the parts from that.

Also, where are you located? If you're in the midwest, you will have a much better chance of located totalled GTP's.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Now is it just a crank pulley or will I need other pulleys up graded? Im in Illinois so I just might have luck finding some GTP's. On that website I see a top end kit for 899.99 but thats the only one,Is there any cheaper one or is that it?

Thanks

Last edited by brokensmile3800; 10-30-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: comp cams!!!