Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Installed Car Tuning 4T65E tranny pan extension. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/installed-car-tuning-4t65e-tranny-pan-extension-45751/)

ZIPPY02 11-04-2013 08:12 PM

Installed Car Tuning 4T65E tranny pan extension.

Thought I had posted this before, buy guess not. CarTuning Inc. offers a very special billet component for our transmissions. This aluminum 1" extension provides us an additional 4 quarts of fluid which helps provide enhanced cooling abilities and since heat is our transmissions enemy, cooler is a good thing. Also during aggressive driving and cornering the filter will not come out of the fluid. Combined with the all aluminum finned tranny pan to help dissipate heat and the use of 2 Earl's tranny fluid coolers and the GM radiator tranny cooler I consistently run 20 plus degree's cooler than the coolant temperature.
I hope to get about 40,000 hard miles from my recent tranny build.

Note the Car Tuning pan extension above the finned pan.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps1365d8b7.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps969e36d2.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...MVISIT3040.jpg

Mac7504 11-04-2013 09:28 PM

As always, nicely done...:thumbsup:

What kind of drop kit are you using? Eibach? 1.5/1.2? Doesn't look like it but you worried about clearance issues?

The_Maniac 11-04-2013 09:33 PM

Interesting find on the extension! Do you have a link to the extension?

I so want an aluminum trans pan, partly for the drain plug access lol!!

Mac7504 11-04-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 580259)

If for nothing, the drain bolt is worth it alone... After one tranny fluid change, I was sold; the magnet just won't stick inside. just an fyi.

ZIPPY02 11-04-2013 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 580259)

Hey hi, what you will need to do is e-mail or phone Kevin the owner of CarTuning Performance and ask for the extension. It's not listed on his site, but he does carry it. They manufacture this item in house, thats probably why you don't see or hear so very much about it. Cost was about $300 which was not bad as a custom one will run upwards of $800. The drain plug as you can imagine is super sweet, really made changing the fluid a lot less messy for sure.

Sam's custom made extension: Note the quality difference, extruded bolt eyelets, anodized aluminum.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...MVISIT3007.jpg

Link to Car Tuning Performance:

Cartuning Performance

ZIPPY02 11-04-2013 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504 (Post 580258)
As always, nicely done...:thumbsup:

What kind of drop kit are you using? Eibach? 1.5/1.2? Doesn't look like it but you worried about clearance issues?

Damn your good, exactly what I'm using the Eibach system you outlined. Never have been worried about clearance issues, until, until.. the tranny pan extension. Hit a smaller rock in the road the other day which I normally would give no second thought to, and wham hit it. The pan and exposed drain plug is now about 4" off of the ground. Spoke with Matt today about this very issue, were going to fabricate a cow catcher type steel guard to prevent me ever getting the drain plug or pan damaged. Your good! What an eye, you have a lot of knowledge for sure. Cool to see you back here. :)

turbo monte 11-04-2013 10:40 PM

Shame shame shame Greg..... if it wasn't for me telling you, you would of never knew about this lol. Mine is getting ordered hopefully in the next month along with his headers I told you about that you got and also his meth injection kit :D

Mac7504 11-04-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 580283)
Damn your good, exactly what I'm using the Eibach system you outlined. Never have been worried about clearance issues, until, until.. the tranny pan extension. Hit a smaller rock in the road the other day which I normally would give no second thought to, and wham hit it. The pan and exposed drain plug is now about 4" off of the ground. Spoke with Matt today about this very issue, were going to fabricate a cow catcher type steel guard to prevent me ever getting the drain plug or pan damaged. Your good! What an eye, you have a lot of knowledge for sure. Cool to see you back here. :)

Thank you sir....

I know, some guys don't recognize me or my screen name but I've been around for a while (even more the my join date dictates)...;) Also, that was my guess because that's what I use to run and the exact stance my car use to have. LOL I have since switched to the Koni adjustable strut kit (now discontinued). I'm also running the same tranny pan and still worry about hitting a heavy dips in these terrible LA freeways...Glad to see you have the connects to get er done; wish I did..!!!! All my 3800 LA 3800 pals faded away or retired...sigh...

I leave the extinct M2k.com an sort of established member, and I come back to MCF feeling as a newb...HAHAHA Same thing when I had to get info over on the R6 forum...haha The way for the web, I guess...lol . Good to be back for sure...:cheers:

MAMONTE 11-05-2013 08:52 AM

Nice ad on. I have the finned aluminum pan on my Monte...installed it at 20,000 miles. I have no hard evidence to support what I'm about to say, but I can definitely say the pan didn't hurt the tranny. LOL. I have 196K on my Monte presently and I'm still on my stock 4T65E...never done anything more than change the fluid and filter ~25-35K. I personally believe that whatever added cooling the fins on the tranny pan added, it's helped prolong the life of my tranny. We all know it is NOT common for a 4T65E to make it 200K stock, and the only thing i've done differently than most is install the aluminum pan, so I call it worth it for that reason.

And as you all have mentioned, the drain plug alone makes it worth the money. Tranny fluid changes have never been cleaner and easier to perform. :D

I'd be curious how the extra fluid & cooling capacity, in combo with the cooling fins on the aluminum pan could really extend tranny life.

STUMPMI 11-05-2013 09:05 AM

Greg:
Nice Mod add on!:thumbsup:
Glad to hear its working out the way you need it to be..
Well done Great Find!:congrats:

ZIPPY02 11-05-2013 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte (Post 580287)
Shame shame shame Greg..... if it wasn't for me telling you, you would of never knew about this lol. Mine is getting ordered hopefully in the next month along with his headers I told you about that you got and also his meth injection kit :D

LOL John my man, your right as rain. I would have been in a bind had you not known of CarTuning's cool products. The CarTuning exhaust manifolds were mandatory for a turbo setup over 300whp, as thats the limit to ZZP's PLOGS. So I sure was looking for something to use. Was facing bringing in Jardine headers and having them build me something like Sam had them do for his Monte. The tranny extension once we found out about it, Matt felt we really needed it for it's additional cooling help. As you know the Methanol injection system is all but mandatory for us, just a huge safety factor so we won't pop the engine in addition to the extra hp you will get. Kevin has a very very fair price for his unit. I laid out close to a K for mine plus install labor. Your tranny / engine set up will be pretty sweet John. Going to be an epic battle when we meet. You running slicks or drag radials at the track?

Thanks Dave, your input is always appreciated, us 50's childs need to stick together. LOL, :)

ZIPPY02 11-05-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mac7504 (Post 580291)
Thank you sir....

I know, some guys don't recognize me or my screen name but I've been around for a while (even more the my join date dictates)...;) Also, that was my guess because that's what I use to run and the exact stance my car use to have. LOL I have since switched to the Koni adjustable strut kit (now discontinued). I'm also running the same tranny pan and still worry about hitting a heavy dips in these terrible LA freeways...Glad to see you have the connects to get er done; wish I did..!!!! All my 3800 LA 3800 pals faded away or retired...sigh...

I leave the extinct M2k.com an sort of established member, and I come back to MCF feeling as a newb...HAHAHA Same thing when I had to get info over on the R6 forum...haha The way for the web, I guess...lol . Good to be back for sure...:cheers:

The Monte you roll in is very unique, most people who know of your car know how special it is. I read the articles and went over your Super Chevy write up a couple years back and knew you had a Monte that the owner put significant effort in to. Why did you dump your Eibach's? Sam has Coil overs on his 07Monte, pretty rare to go to that level. At least you had some 3800 pals to run with for awhile, it's been a long dry spell out here in Utah, only a few G.P.'s and then they are not very built. Your far from a newb for sure, you have a great deal of knowledge you bring to the table. We did put a magnet in the aluminum pan in addition to the magnetic drain plug. Matt used a chemical resistant adhesive to anchor it into place. I want to catch every stray metal filament possible. Anyway bro take care, see you out and about. :) :) Now break open your piggy bank and get a couple mods off of your list.... :)

turbo monte 11-05-2013 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 580402)
LOL John my man, your right as rain. I would have been in a bind had you not known of CarTuning's cool products. The CarTuning exhaust manifolds were mandatory for a turbo setup over 300whp, as thats the limit to ZZP's PLOGS. So I sure was looking for something to use. Was facing bringing in Jardine headers and having them build me something like Sam had them do for his Monte. The tranny extension once we found out about it, Matt felt we really needed it for it's additional cooling help. As you know the Methanol injection system is all but mandatory for us, just a huge safety factor so we won't pop the engine in addition to the extra hp you will get. Kevin has a very very fair price for his unit. I laid out close to a K for mine plus install labor. Your tranny / engine set up will be pretty sweet John. Going to be an epic battle when we meet. You running slicks or drag radials at the track?

Thanks Dave, your input is always appreciated, us 50's childs need to stick together. LOL, :)

A lot of people don't like Cartuning but Kevin treats me good so he gets my business...

Last year I was on Hoosier drag radials and regular back tires, next time I go I'm going to be on a mickey Thompson qtp bias ply slicks and skinnys :)

Mac7504 11-05-2013 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 580404)
The Monte you roll in is very unique, most people who know of your car know how special it is. I read the articles and went over your Super Chevy write up a couple years back and knew you had a Monte that the owner put significant effort in to. Why did you dump your Eibach's? Sam has Coil overs on his 07Monte, pretty rare to go to that level. At least you had some 3800 pals to run with for awhile, it's been a long dry spell out here in Utah, only a few G.P.'s and then they are not very built. Your far from a newb for sure, you have a great deal of knowledge you bring to the table. We did put a magnet in the aluminum pan in addition to the magnetic drain plug. Matt used a chemical resistant adhesive to anchor it into place. I want to catch every stray metal filament possible. Anyway bro take care, see you out and about. :) :) Now break open your piggy bank and get a couple mods off of your list.... :)

Thank you for the kind comments. I still have the Eibach's in the garage, I just decided to try something else for a while so I went with the GM adjustable Koni struts. I was also getting some rub in the rear (20x.8.5's wheels) when I added a bigger sound system, (yes my fenders are even rolled) so not having as much drop helped it. I do want to try the Eibach/Koni combo and see how it feels but that's a fair amount of work just to test...lol Well shall see...I had previously run stock strut/eibachs.

As for mods, it's mostly maintenance right now; I just got a fresh Toyo T1's in, and about to order a new rear package from BMR to refresh the rear this week. I've also got to install a new radiator due to a leak in one of the side caps, so I've got to head over to the shop this weekend to pick one out. Next, is Timken upgrades (traction/abs light), and brakes system needs refresh, and lastly, HRE's fronts are due for new lips and possible inner barrels (damn LA potholes). Only after all that can I get into the go fast parts.

Thanks for the heads up on the trans pan, we did use a magnetics plug, but next time I drop I'm going to have to add the magnet with some epoxy as you suggested.

EDIT: Its hard having too many vices...lol I'm doin my best on holding off on a pair of rims for one of my R6's...lol

:cheers:

ZIPPY02 11-05-2013 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte (Post 580430)
A lot of people don't like Cartuning but Kevin treats me good so he gets my business...

Last year I was on Hoosier drag radials and regular back tires, next time I go I'm going to be on a mickey Thompson qtp bias ply slicks and skinnys :)

From what Matt says he believes Kevin is a very smart individual. They have talked at length on the phone and Matt says Kevin knows his automotive theory very well and has some very innovative products. So what ever the peeps beef is it's not about his knowledge. maybe it's because his systems just kick butt. I'm very happy with his products. The exhaust headers you had me buy were second to none. Very high quality fabrication.. :)

LOL, your going to have quite the tire arrangement mounted John, Mickeys and skinneys on the rear. Jheesh, but I guess thats it, if you can't run wiith the big dogs, stay on the porch. Now you are making me one up my tires, damn you! :) LOL

Kevin's custom made Cartuning Turbocharge application manifolds for my Monte, good for over 700whp.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...MVISIT3037.jpg

Manifolds ceramic coated and mounted, look pretty bad azz and work so very nice
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps3f69b685.jpg

Engine bay, with new Borg warner EFR 8473 Turbo and manifolds mounted.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps2ddd4cb1.jpg

ZIPPY02 11-06-2013 12:05 AM

Hey Mac7504 "John" it's good you still have your Eibach's as they are hard to find now too. Would be a sic set up if you could get them to work in conjunction with you GM Koni's. I just had a new radiator installed, ended up using the one from the Impala Police package HD radiator with their extra high velocity fans. Take care, cant wait to perhaps meet up with you in Vegas in the spring or such. I go to Super Chevy events fairly often, Fontana and Vegas.

Mac7504 11-06-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 580442)
Hey Mac7504 "John" it's good you still have your Eibach's as they are hard to find now too. Would be a sic set up if you could get them to work in conjunction with you GM Koni's. I just had a new radiator installed, ended up using the one from the Impala Police package HD radiator with their extra high velocity fans. Take care, cant wait to perhaps meet up with you in Vegas in the spring or such. I go to Super Chevy events fairly often, Fontana and Vegas.

Really? I see the Eibach's listed on 3800 performance often but who knows, it may just be an old listing; so glad I didn't sell or toss them if this is the case.

You using the stock 5/8th radiator? If not, what is the thickness? Did the fittings match up?
I'd love to meet up sometime, I go to Fontana often for my trackdays, and I'd love to bring my Monte out to Super Chevy event sometime! If not Vegas!!!

Take care as well.

Johnny