Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   help with engine build (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/help-engine-build-26271/)

original87SS 02-21-2011 07:15 PM

help with engine build

i have a all original 1987 SS monte carlo. it has been sitting since 98 and im going to try to get it runnning and build it in the proccess.

so far a list of mods are: hooker headers(2050), dynomax exhaust(17423), edlebrock intake manifold(3706), crane compu-cam(2040), MSD 6a igntion, and vortec heads.

this is my first build ever and im just wondering if this sounds like it will work.

-thanks

Budsjlm 02-21-2011 09:46 PM

i'd say pull the original 305 motor and stuff it in the corner get your self a 350 and work from there those mods will be much more benificial with the extra 45 CI

and if you ever want to go back to original you have and would be numbers matching

ar3em11 02-21-2011 11:39 PM

Id have to agree with buds on that one. Go out and get yourself a late 70s 350 block out of a truck, they are 4 bolt mains. Much stronger. You can do alot more with alot less on those motors. A mild cam, decent carb and intake, maybe some vortec heads and youll have a nice street machine that will be able to also put down nice numbers at the track. There is a place where i live that you can get a core block for 150$ already cleaned and magnafluxed to ensure its good. Alot of cities have them jsut gotta dig!

TheMonteMan 02-22-2011 07:39 AM

id have to agree with these guys. the 305 is kind of a waste of money. save up and go 350 or bigger.

original87SS 02-23-2011 02:06 PM

I am keeping it original. I do not want to put another engine in it

Budsjlm 02-23-2011 06:07 PM

Thats a shame but it your car and you'll do what make you happy, i'd say atleast ditch the computer then that way you have more options on performance with out having to fight it, also you may have to think about getting a bigger stall TC when all is said and done,

sideways 02-23-2011 06:57 PM

No, if you are going to run vortecs you would want the 2116 manifold. different bolt pattern on vortecs. Everything else sounds good and should work well together.
(Alot depends on where he's located also, could be in cali and have to pass emissions)

KJRich 02-23-2011 07:05 PM

I would think those kinds of mods should definitely be noticeable. I did similar mods (cam, heads, intake, carb, exhaust, lean-burn computer delete, etc) on an '83 318 Mopar engine I had. Of course I never dyno'd it, but it felt A LOT stronger than the 135 or so horsepower the factory rated it at. Same situation too, a 360 would have made more sense, but I already had the 318.

TheMonteMan 02-23-2011 07:17 PM

oh there will definitely be a hp gain, but not worth the money or work that will be put into it. at the point that your doing a h/i/c swap you might as well do bearings and rings and if your going through all that trouble it would be pointless to do it to a 305. externally they are almost identical. theres no real reason to keep the original motor in there. unless you are absolutely obsessed with building a 305. its not really going to make the car anymore valuable having the original motor in there, and if its an emissions issue the car is considered a classic now and with classic car insurance the car can have any motor you want in it.

original87SS 02-24-2011 06:00 AM

I completely understand that I could swap a biggs engine, but I don't want to do that. I want to keep the original engine in it. Also about how much horsepower could I expect gaining with this? 100 or so?