Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Generation V M90

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Default Generation V M90

Soooo I finally decided to get the Gen V Supercharger.

I have two people to thank, first of all, Dan, as he gave me a contact number for Ed Morad, and second, Ed. He gave me a price of 800 dollars after shipping for a Gen V with less than 3K miles on it. I ordered it today, and it should be on its way from Ohio shortly.

So, within the next 3 weeks, I will have this sucker hopefully powdercoated black, and installed, with performance specs, and a whole install layout on my website..

Just wanted to keep y'all updated!

-Keegan

Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Default RE: Generation V M90

[align=center]Hi Keegan, [/align][align=center]I was happy to read that you found/ordered more[/align][align=center]power for your Monte. Great Price! $$$[/align][align=center]Look forward to following your build-up.[/align][align=center]Thanks for $har'in[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
NEW OR CHANGED

3800 Series II Supercharged 3.8L V-6 (L67)

2004 Model Year Summary

· New Application in Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo
· Powdered Metal Connecting Rods
· Ultra-Fast Oxygen Sensors
· PO4+ Powertrain Control Module
· Direct-Mount Air Conditioning Compressor for Impala and Monte Carlo
· Improved Sealing
· Improved Accessory Belt
· Improved Starter
· 5W-30 Engine Oil
· Changes for Common Assembly with new Series III V-6

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURE

NEW APPLICATION IN CHEVROLET IMPALA AND MONTE CARLO
The supercharged 3800 Series II SC will be offered as an option in the 2004 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo. The Series II is no longer available in the Pontiac Grand Prix, which is equipped with the new 3800 Series III (RPOs L26 and L32) for model year 2004

POWDERED METAL CONNECTING RODS
The 3800 Series III has new hot-forged powdered metal connecting rods. Powdered metal is more durable and reliable than conventional cast iron, delivering greater anticipated life. As importantly, the powdered metal rods are stiffer than the cast iron parts they replace. That increases the resonant frequency of the rod and translates to lower vibration amplitude, meaning an overall increase in engine smoothness.

ULTRA-FAST OXYGEN SENSORS
Oxygen sensors on the 3800 Series II SC have greater heating capacity – 8.5 watts for the front sensor and 7.5 watts for the rear, compared to 6 watts in 2003. Increased wattage allows the sensors to achieve their most efficient operating temperature more quickly. The new sensors are also pulse-width modulated, allowing the PCM to manage them at variable heating rates, rather than with a basic on-off switch.

The oxygen sensors are located where the exhaust manifold runners meet, before the catalytic converter in the engine's exhaust stream, and after the catalytic converter in the exhaust pipe. In effect, they measure emission levels going into the catalytic converter and emission levels coming out. Using readings from both sensors, the PCM manages various engine operations in a fashion that minimizes exhaust emissions. The new ultra-fast sensors allow the exhaust system to achieve this “closed loop” operation in matter of seconds, monitoring oxygen levels before and after the catalytic converter for maximum emissions reduction.

PO4+ POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
The 3800 Series II SC is managed by a new Powertrain Control Module. GM’s P04+ PCM adds software capability to manage the new oxygen sensors. Moreover, the Series II PCM is now common with that used on the GM’s 3100 and 3400 60-degree V-6 engines (RPOs LG8 and LA1). Such common parts reduce corporate inventory, streamline procurement practices and contribute to a common objective every automobile buyer understands: more efficiency in vehicle assembly plants an

Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 AM

Haha, thanks Space for the infomercial, and the good wishes!

The best part about the Gen V? Cooler outlet temperatures, which means less KR

-Keegan

Old 10-19-2007, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: ExplosiveSoundz

Haha, thanks Space for the infomercial, and the good wishes!

The best part about the Gen V? Cooler outlet temperatures, which means less KR

-Keegan
Hi Keegan,
I posted the informercial for rookie/novice member's like myself, so that
we can understand/learn more about the mechanic's/workings of
the Monte Carlo, & superchargers.
I learn something new everyday on the MCF about auto's.
I envy your adventures into building your own machine, and I look forward
to a future time in my travels that I will be able to build up my own machine.
Thanks for keeping us updated, & I really look forward to you returning safely
to home & begin your major/fun project.
`Space

Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Still working on the polishing on mine and hope to have it done in the next few weeks. I'm thinking of just finishing off a bit more of the work and painting it.... maybe black with a red chevy bowtie on the front.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Hey Dan... I was thinking Painting it black too, with the word Intimidator on the wront.. but I changed my mind.. Reptile (Brian) is gonna charge me 250 to polish mine just like you saw the ones on Club GP...

Old 10-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Good job finding a GenV dude... did you get the L32 LIM, and all the rest of the hardware necessary to bolt it up to the L67? This includes all the doo-dads with the returnless fuel line, PCV, etc... all are different on the GenV over our Gen III.

Since you're yoinkin the LIM off anyways to do the install, may as well switch to the aluminum LIM gaskets, since the plastic ones have a tendancy to start leaking over time. In addition, you may as well intercool this puppy... it's easier to do when it's all off anyways, and you'll be able to run alot more boost safely. With the headers on, that monster will breathe like there's no tomorrow.

What throttle body are you planning on using? N* TBs are one of the cheapest setups to go with, and you can get the GenV adapter to work with it.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 PM

Yah, I got the LIM and the Gen V. I also have the New Gen V Gasket.. HOWEVER, I am not going to intercool right now... I'm waiting until I am ready to have my heads ported and polished.. THEN while I have it all off, I will add the short stack, along with a ported LIM to match the heads...... I'm gonna avoid going full out intercooled.. im afraid it won't clear... Thats why I wanna go Short Stack

And yes, I am going with the Northstar kit that ZZP sells with the MAF included.. I am debating just buying all of this, and waiting until I have the money to port and polish my heads, along with port matching it with the LIM.. THEN I will put EVERYTHING on at the same time... Rather than mess with having to buy Gaskets everytime I add something and then have to take if off and again for the NEXT mod, ya know?

Any Tips or Suggestions?

Thanks for the encouragement Rob, I hope the TOG's help my SLP Powerflo to sound good on the Gen III, let alone once I slap the Gen V on..

Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you're putting this much money and effort into this upgrade, it sure seems a shame to skimp on $600 for the short stack intercooler kit. That's my next performance upgrade, I believe.
Are you doing any porting now on the blower or manifold?
Wayne
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 10-28-2007, 03:51 AM

The issue isn't money, the issue is clearance. Throwing a Gen V M90 on top of a Full size IC scares me, as I am afraid that after all of that work, it will not clear. However I totally agree..I am hoping that I can find someone between now and next summer (when I plan on dropping the IC on it) that has done it, and can assure me that it clears our hoods...

As far as the porting, yes. I found a guy on ClubGP that can polish and port the intake to 77MM, along with porting the outlet, along with turning down my snout, for less than 400 bucks. Intense racing wants 500 for their ported GenV body, so I figured I would give this guy a shot.. he has alot of pics, and is working on HIS genV as we speak.. so I have a feeling it will be well worth it...

-Keegan

Quick Reply: Generation V M90