Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Gen 5 SuperCharger (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/gen-5-supercharger-57477/)

One Dark SS 11-26-2016 09:06 PM

Gen 5 SuperCharger

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I picked up a Gen 5 today with the L32 LIM for the 05 SS (146$-pick'n pull), wondering if someone could chime in on the conditions of the rotors as this is the first time I've seen the inside of a supercharger first hand.
Also, is there any room for porting on those or are they best left alone?

Thanks for any info!

nitehawkjcb 11-26-2016 10:30 PM

Nice find. The rotors look okay. As long as there's no silver showing and the coating is relatively smooth, it should be fine. As far as porting goes, from what I've heard, porting a gen V is pointless. The gains are minute, if any. A stock gen V is often compared to a ported gen III.

bumpin96monte 11-27-2016 09:15 AM

I agree, looks like normal wear and tear.

Also agree not to bother with porting it.

One Dark SS 11-27-2016 05:33 PM

Sweet thanks guys!
I picked up the heads as well for 76$ with the supercharger engine mount (to bolt the pulley, never noticed if it was different.. but what ever) so when I put all that on I can hopefully make someone happy with almost everything needed for a cheap top swap, I think all they would need at this point is wire harness and computer?

bumpin96monte 11-27-2016 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Monte2K (Post 697789)
so when I put all that on I can hopefully make someone happy with almost everything needed for a cheap top swap, I think all they would need at this point is wire harness and computer?

A top swap requires a lot of parts beyond the blower and heads. There is also the crank balancer, the entire supercharger belt system (idlers, tensioner, etc), fuel rails, throttle body, injectors, lower intake, etc etc. Its all relatively cheap stuff though.

One Dark SS 11-28-2016 02:30 PM

geeze.... some people are just never happy eh? jk,
I know there's more to it, but aside from the pulley's wouldn't everything else have to come off a L67, not an L26? otherwise, I'll go back, it's all been removed (except the balancer, which i aint planning on removing anyways)

One Dark SS 11-28-2016 02:32 PM

That being said, there's a few L67 sitn there if anyone wants to commit, I'd be more then willing to grab everything.

bumpin96monte 11-28-2016 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Monte2K (Post 697828)
geeze.... some people are just never happy eh? jk,
I know there's more to it, but aside from the pulley's wouldn't everything else have to come off a L67, not an L26? otherwise, I'll go back, it's all been removed (except the balancer, which i aint planning on removing anyways)

Since it sounds like the intent is to sell it, I just wanted to make sure you knew what all was needed so you could gauge if it was worth it on price to keep getting more parts. You'd hate to get too much wrapped up in it and then not be able to sell it. Years ago, shops were able to get about $1000 for a complete top swap setup, now you can buy a running/driving L67 car for little more than that. So you just have to be careful how much you get into it.

The blower alone is worth it and should sell pretty easily, especially to a L67 guy looking to upgrade. If you knew the mileage of the car (and it was relatively low) that would help. The other top swap parts can be tricky for two reasons:
-The parts are commonly available in junkyards all over the country. As such, the parts don't usually sell for much.
-Shipping can get crazy pretty quick unless you've got some hookups. The heads alone will probably cost as much to ship as they're worth.

As far as what else is needed, it depends what it's going into.

For someone with an L67, they'd just need the lower intake and then figure out what to do about the TB (adapter for stock, aftermarket, etc). Only thing I'm not sure on is if the fuel rail mounts are in the same spot. I think that would be your ideal market so as not to have to mess with shipping heads.

Certainly to use it for a top swap, the other parts can come from an L67 also. Particularly the throttle body and fuel rails/injectors would need to be L67 parts (or aftermarket) as the L32 runs DBW and return less fuel. Some L32 parts can be used foe a top swap as well. Again, some of those parts cost as much to ship as they're worth too- particularly the balancer and the iron coil pack bracket (for the belt system). I think this option may only be feasible if you can find someone local.

One Dark SS 11-28-2016 05:01 PM

agreed, shipping would probably cost more than the parts themselves, the heads are quite heaving, guessing a solid 40lbs each. i just grabbed the L26 heads to have something to attempt a bit of port/polish/clean up work and keep the car running in the meantime...

def not looking to make a profit, once im ready, if someone wants it, i'll take what i paid for it all.

Thanks for the info Bumpin,

One Dark SS 11-28-2016 07:16 PM

...I said L26 a few times instead of L32... I'm sure people reading this picked up on it... if not, my bad..