Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Default Gauge Question

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS S/C and would like to hook up a mechanical oil pressure and mechanical Boost/Vacuum gauge. I don't know where to hook up the oil pressure line on the engine and where to hook up the boost line

Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 PM

First of all, I would ditch the mechanical oil pressure- get a regular electric unit with a sender. You don't want pressurized oil in your car if you don't have to.

Secondly, once you get the new unit- you can tap in just above the oil filter. You'll see a little sensor that screws into the oil filter housing up top. You can do 1 of 2 things here. The easiest is to just take that stock sender out and throw it away, and screw in your new sender (my autometer one screwed right in), and zip tie the old wiring out of the way. No lights come on or anything- the old unit was just a normally open switch to the light on the dash.

The other way is to get a T from the hardware store, and install both (although IMO, if you're so out of it that you're not paying attention to your oil presssure gauge and it drops so low (under 5 psi I think?) that the dummy light comes on- then you shouldn't have bought the gauge).

As far as your boost/vac- look at your supercharger snout; go directly underneath it- on the passenger side of the LIM, you'll see a nipple with a big rubber T on it and hose coming out. That is a great boost/vac signal. What most do is follow the hose around the back of the engine, and it ends with a 90* rubber boot (I forget what it plugs into at the moment, but its the only place it runs on the backside of the engine)- replace that 90* rubber boot with a T, plug the T back in where the old 90* boot was- and run your new line off that into the car (plus it puts you pretty close to the firewall where you need to run through anyways).

Old 09-18-2009, 03:28 PM

thanks for the info, and my cousin gave me the gauges for free, so ill probably just buy a electical oil pressure gauge.