Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Engine Swap. Backwards? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/engine-swap-backwards-56809/)

Midnight Rise 08-04-2016 07:42 PM

Engine Swap. Backwards?

Ok, so I have a question about an engine swap I have in mine, and I'm pretty sure some people will be highly confused why I would want to do this. I just bought me a 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 And I need to know if I can take the 3.8 out of it and replace it with the 3.1 from an LS. Now here is why I would want to do that.

So I started a new job a few months back in a city over from where I live but I had to use my mom's car and she got off when I was supposed the be clocking on, So I was an hour late every day. One of my coworkers just bought him a new truck and agreed to sell my his Monte Carlo for $300, and the engine is a piece of junk. Just today I finally had the courage to go over 3k RPM. A Pull-A-Part yard has a 98 with the 3.1 for $140 wo/accessorizes and $160 with. I need to know If the engine will fit in without to much fuss or should I really look for something else, and if so, what are some other engines that would be an easy swap till I can get the original rebuilt and modded.

Thank you in advance.:thumbsup:

turbo monte 08-05-2016 08:54 AM

just find a used 3800 and swap it in. dont downgrade and even if you did downgrade by the time you got it running right etc it would cost more time and money.

side note, why do you claim the engine is a piece of junk? whats the issue with it?

Midnight Rise 08-05-2016 01:15 PM

The reason I am looking at the 3.1 is cause the pull a part near me only has that engine for my generate Monte, and it will only be about $200 for it.

I forgot what the last owner said it was exactly, but it has to do with the block and the heads. A mechanic told him it would be cheaper to replace it then fix it. It does not like to accelerate and hates going over the bridge. It does start and drive but I'm to scared to go over 3k rpm and mess it up.

turbo monte 08-05-2016 01:25 PM

well i feel trying to swap that 3.1 in is gonna be more work then finding the correct engine. also if it runs and drives idk what damage could be that severe to need a new engine but i didnt see or hear it so hard for me to make that call.

The_Maniac 08-06-2016 03:36 PM

Turbo Monte is right, it's going to be more painful to swap a 3100 into that and all the wiring headaches then get another L36. The L36 (non-supercharged 3800) is readily available in tons of GM cars. If you are going to a "Pull-A-Part", last I knew, you had to pull the engine yourself. To might knowledge any 3800 Series II will work. If I went to my local pull-a-part and just threw a rock, I'd probably hit one easy.
Downgrading to a 3100 is not going to yield you any cost advantage.

Also, you may want a second opinion on your car issues. If there is no noise in the bottom end of the engine, it might be something fairly easy and cheap if you can do the work yourself.