Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Engine Cleaning (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/engine-cleaning-38436/)

wtxbear 08-21-2012 08:32 PM

Engine Cleaning

Have a quick question.... What ways do you guys clean up under the hood of your Monte. Most people i know go to a car wash and blow the heck out of it with high pressure water and degreaser, but is there a better way?

MAMONTE 08-24-2012 08:45 AM

I generally wait till the engine is completely cool, cover alternator and any exposed electrical connections with aluminum foil, spray it down with 100% concentrate Simple Green...let is soak for a bit, then wipe/ scrub heavy soiled areas, and then blast it with a garden house and super nozzle. Let things dry a bit, take the car for a drive to heat it up and help dry.

Tadcaster 08-24-2012 10:11 AM

Once the engine has been initially cleaned you can clean with a soapy rag alone (if you keep on top of it) I only use a soapy rag, occasionally use a garden hose maybe twice a year. However my car never sees winter

sdowney 04-09-2013 08:54 PM

Is there an effective cleaning method that doesn't involve spraying with a hose? I don't think I could consciously spray my engine with a hose. Just doesn't seem right.

Any ideas?

zzapultimate 04-09-2013 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by sdowney (Post 541349)
Is there an effective cleaning method that doesn't involve spraying with a hose? I don't think I could consciously spray my engine with a hose. Just doesn't seem right.

Any ideas?

Simple green and a rag works really well.

blackmonte02 04-09-2013 11:52 PM

when I spray/clean my engine bay down some wiring must get wet and the car doesn't run well so I try to stay away from the engine bay

ZIPPY02 04-10-2013 07:38 AM

Whatever you do it will take a couple hours easy to get the bay pretty clean. Pop a top and resign yourself to a Sat. morning of detailing your engine bay.

Found a link with some detailing information for you. Goog luck, it will be worth it when she is all squared away and sparkilng. :)

Engine Detailing, car engine cleaning, engine cleaner, engine detailing how to, how to clean an engine,

owens91 04-10-2013 10:06 AM

I think imma do mines this weekend off too :)

sdowney 04-10-2013 08:21 PM

Sounds good! Thanks all!

Franks 03SS 04-10-2013 08:29 PM

Simple green, a variety of brushes to get In between everything and a regular garden hose is what I use. :) I also put a bag over the alternator, coil pack and cover my Air filter, but I removed my filter today and just put a couple bags in the intake tube. I actually cleaned mine up today so I'll make a thread shortly :thumbsup: oh and I also helped speed up the drying process with a leaf blower lol :) after it was all dry I finished it off with CD-2 Engine Detailer, stuff works Amazing! :D