Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Fluids questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 03:20 PM
Default Fluids questions

I知 going to start doing my own maintenance on my vehicle. I知 a newbie so be nice please😆 if I change my oil how much do I put back in and what痴 better for a 2007 LS, conventional or synthetic?

Old 01-18-2022, 04:29 PM

Id recommend synthetic and the booklet for you car specifies how much and what kind for all fluids. Not sure what engine comes in the 07 LS or Id tell you how much. Lol dont wanna guess and be wrong.

Welcome! Were all nice here.

Old 01-18-2022, 04:51 PM

I'll 2nd that. The maintenance schedule along with all capacities & fluid types is found in the manual. If you don't have one, I'd spend a few bucks to grab one off ebay or the junkyard. I'm sure someone on here has one that can tell you for oil, but if youre going to be doing your own maintenance it'll help to have the info for the rest of the system.

As for type of oil - that's a much debated topic. It's pretty clear that synthetic is better performing. The big question is - does that matter to the average owner? People have run 200k+ miles on conventional oil for decades, so does the extra engine life matter to the average owner? What complicates it more is that very few engine failures these days are due to bearing failure that better oil could've avoided - generally the car gets totalled, the trans blows up, or some other major part of the engine fails that takes everything out anyways well before the engine flat wears out from bearing wear.

It can also be important for those who push the mileage on oil changes (although if youre a person that changes every X miles regardless, then this probably doesn't matter to you).

Being on a car forum where many people take better than average care of their car, I'd imagine the majority here would lean towards synthetic. If you polled the average car owner, I'd think you'd see the majority shift to conventional.

Personally I run synthetic in all of my cars except my wife's daily driver. I change the oil by mileage and don't push the interval limits. I do tend to run my personal cars on the hard side - especially the non daily drivers - so I like the added stability / protection there.

Just my .02 though- plenty of opinions on the topic.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can find all of your needed info in the manual at the link below. It's a free download. Hope this helps!

2007 Monte Carlo manual

Old 01-19-2022, 02:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

here is some additional guidance that I have posted on some other threads. Hopefully the vehicle has the operators manual in it and you can look under specifications in the index and find the information you need.