Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Coolant leak from wire loom (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/coolant-leak-wire-loom-59061/)

Patnewk76 11-09-2017 10:38 AM

Coolant leak from wire loom

1 Attachment(s)
My son sent me a pic of a coolant leak on his car and said it was overheating. Haven't heard back from him yet as to how hot it got on the gauge or when it started doing it. He's in school right now. He did send me a pic of it. Should be an easy fix, but I'm trying to locate the part online to see if any of the stores near me have one ( I would think they would )...

Looks like the wire loom has rubbed through it.... :thumbsdown:

unfortunately, he has to work after school, so I'll be leaving my work early to get him there and see about getting his Monte fixed for him to be able to get back home.

drivernumber3 11-10-2017 07:30 AM

From what I see there; it's the hose that is bad.
The hose is running down to the coolant system bleeder valve.
Replace the hose try to use the existing clamps if possible.
This is a pressurized system so make sure it is cool before you do anything.
Open the Radiator cap to relieve the pressure unless the coolant tank is pressurized. Good luck. :thumbsup:
There is probably a youtube video that would talk you thru this, you may want to check that too.

Patnewk76 11-10-2017 08:34 AM

got it all put back together after taking him to work. Must have been the original hose still, was very soft from age I'm guessing. Spent less then 10bucks on the new hose, which has plenty of clearance from that wire loom. We already had the anti-freeze on hand, so no extra expense there. I think we got the system bleed good, but there is probably still some air in the system I'm sure. Drove it home w/o issue. Motor sounds good and all so I don't think there was any damage there. He was less then 3 blocks from the school when it blew thankfully.... I do think we still need to replace the thermostat as it doesn't get much above 160Deg as you drive it, but I will probably pass that along to our mechanic friend. ;)

drivernumber3 11-10-2017 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Patnewk76 (Post 707349)
got it all put back together after taking him to work. Must have been the original hose still, was very soft from age I'm guessing. Spent less then 10bucks on the new hose, which has plenty of clearance from that wire loom. We already had the anti-freeze on hand, so no extra expense there. I think we got the system bleed good, but there is probably still some air in the system I'm sure. Drove it home w/o issue. Motor sounds good and all so I don't think there was any damage there. He was less then 3 blocks from the school when it blew thankfully.... I do think we still need to replace the thermostat as it doesn't get much above 160Deg as you drive it, but I will probably pass that along to our mechanic friend. ;)

Depending on the Miles on the Car you may want to change out the hoses if one is bad they all may have a short life span.
Check your serpentine belt to make sure it is not cracked and has not bee saturated by Antifreeze. They ne to be replaced if so. Antifreeze just doesn't come off. It will remain and not much sticks to it. :nono: