Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tranmission will not change gears, only MANUALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Tranmission will not change gears, only MANUALLY!

After driving around today, everything seem fine (despite the power steering "REFILL" problem every 4-6 hr span). When I pulled off from my mother house today, no more of 3 blocks (after pulling off from a stop sign), the engine spuddered big time. I didn't apply pressure to the gas pedal to pull off quickly so it wasn't the misuse of it. So, I started driving very, very, very slowly and noticed that I have to MANUALLY drive in 1st shift, 2nd shift then 3rd shift in order to move.

I was told that maybe it could be the filter that is clogged up and need to be replaced. I had the transmission flushed last year at "Speedway" oil change so I don't know what could be the problem.

I am going to take it to AMMCO tomorrow to see what they will say.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Now when you say sputtered, was it like you were in too high off a gear? Like if you tried to take off in high gear in a manual trannie. If this is the case it sounds like a problem with the torque converter clutch. Sometimes they stick and won't let the trannie shift out of overdrive, unless you manually shift.

How does the fluid look and do you have a check engine light?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 AM

Well, put it like this when I tried to pull off normally (instead of gunnin it like im racing the next car over), it sounds like ajack hammer underneath my hood. It stopped when I let off the gas pedal some and started driving very slow. Which that gear was in automatice (drive) and now I have to start from 1st and work my way to 3rd gear in order to drive now.

Thanks for the reply labnjab!!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM

My luck really shows by me not having no money on me (until I get paid this friday). I take it to Ammco for the "free" transmission check and they guy told me, "It's free w/ their repair but its $40 w/o their repair". So I was SOL, untill I get the money for them to check it....SMH!!!