Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Code P0301 Miss Fire/ Cylinder #1 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/code-p0301-miss-fire-cylinder-1-a-47309/)

JC Colon 02-12-2014 05:11 AM

Thanks for the support guys!
Jason, you make a good point. What they wanted to do was replace the resonator then have me drive it for a couple of days and See if the code goes away. In the mean time I could be causing damage to my engine, then what? They would not replace the motor for me, For Free! This is the whole reason I learned to work on cars. So I k ow when some Master Mechanic is trying to pull the wool over my eyes and the Benjamin's out of my pocket!
The other funny thing is I was Looking forward to having a Master Mechanic lay hand on my car. Now I wanna stick with the guy who just finished his apprenticeship at Nissan device!

The_Maniac 02-12-2014 05:38 AM

I've said for a long time, for those who have any reason to depend on another person to wrench on their car, it's wise to pick someone they can trust. The guy may not be the cheapest (hopefully not the most expensive), but when you take your car to the guy, you have comfort that you trust what the guy says.
I have a guy I refer to as a "GM Guru". When I've had tough to diagnose problems, he's done the diags for me to figure out what needs done and from their I do the wrench work. He is a master mechanic at a dealership (but the stuff he's done for me is out of his garage). He's never steered me wrong (and I've brought him about 3-4 problems that really challenged me).

Honestly, the primary reason I got into wrenching on cars was my father who educated me on the fact if you can do your own work, you can save some money for simple things.

JC, you are wiser and more fortunate then many I'm sure walk in to have that master mechanic work on cars. As you said, you learned to turn wrenches and understand what's going on. I can't express how many of my friends I wish would do the same! If you're like me, once you got the problem resolved your self, you probably had a big smile on your face for being right and felt good about a job done right! :)

JC Colon 02-12-2014 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 596481)
I've said for a long time, for those who have any reason to depend on another person to wrench on their car, it's wise to pick someone they can trust. The guy may not be the cheapest (hopefully not the most expensive), but when you take your car to the guy, you have comfort that you trust what the guy says.
I have a guy I refer to as a "GM Guru". When I've had tough to diagnose problems, he's done the diags for me to figure out what needs done and from their I do the wrench work. He is a master mechanic at a dealership (but the stuff he's done for me is out of his garage). He's never steered me wrong (and I've brought him about 3-4 problems that really challenged me).

Honestly, the primary reason I got into wrenching on cars was my father who educated me on the fact if you can do your own work, you can save some money for simple things.

JC, you are wiser and more fortunate then many I'm sure walk in to have that master mechanic work on cars. As you said, you learned to turn wrenches and understand what's going on. I can't express how many of my friends I wish would do the same! If you're like me, once you got the problem resolved your self, you probably had a big smile on your face for being right and felt good about a job done right! :)

Yes I Did. I took the big Hand and patted myself on the back! :rolleyes:

03SSLE 02-12-2014 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by JC Colon` (Post 596429)
Well they have a new "Master Mechanic"? He read my symptoms and put the car on the lift, Saw the Gash in my Resonator and preceded to tell me that the Miss Fire was being cause by the Lack of Back Pressure in the exhaust Because of the crack.
:brain fart: What?????? :rotfl:
We run cars with OPEN Headers and we don't get a Miss Fire in any cylinder! He then told me that he would not work on the miss fire until the Resonator was replaced. :wtf:

The reason replacing the resonator was suggested is because a leak in the exhaust CAN throw a misfire code (individual or multiple) and mask other problems. His request to have the resonator replaced prior to diagnosing your vehicle isn't that unusual. I probably would have done the same thing. Think about it - if you paid for diagnosis, plug wire, plug and labor only to find the misfire was still there (because of the exhaust leak) wouldn't you be a bit upset? Maybe even begin to doubt the mechanics abilities? He followed a diagnostic flow chart - just as he should have.