Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

trac control light... wtf

Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation trac control light... wtf

well lately my service trac system light comes on (randomly, seems like when its wet though) and turns off my traction control. also my anti-lock light comes on too. but the ABS still works anybody know whats up?? a buddy told me its the hub assembly but i think it just might need new pads. PLEASE HELP.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with your buddy. There's a good chance that there is a connection to one of your wheel hub assemblies that has come loose, or one of the sensors in that assembly is starting to go bad and tripping your light.

You can test all the wire connections to make sure they are secure, or pay for someone with the ABS code reader to go ahead and scan your car and pull which assembly is setting the faulty code.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member

so what will happen if it goes unkept?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Eventually you will lose traction control and abs every time you start the car.

Also depending on your laws you may fail inspection.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM

i have the same problem. many w-body cars have this problelem. myine was on all the time then i took off all four wheels took off the conectors and cleaned them out with db electrical cleaner[red can at autozone] and put some connector protector in there. now it only comes on for about ten seconds at a time and goes away.

every car is different some say its the wires some say its the abs sensor itself which is in side the wheel bearing.

you will have to get the codes scanned either at a dealer or a mom and pops garage.

fyi ive been busy and havent gone yet but my friend with a caviler said he went to MIDAS and they scanned for free as long as he got it fixed there. his was 42 bucks but all he needed was a sensor.

a good wheel bearing is 70-90$
a pair of wires is around 100$
cleaning the connections yourself 5$ not a complete fix though

in my personal opinion i think its the wires

if you seach traction control abs light on a seach engine you will find many forums on this subject. when i figure out my complete fix i will pm you.

good luck with whatever route you choose but my advice is not to go spending 500+ because you shouldn't have too

Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member

well, i mean could it damage my vehicle i always keep the trac off anyway and im never on the brakes hard enough to lock them up, i like to have complete control of my car so if the abs and tcs go out is that really gonna hurt my car??

Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 PM

thats why i'm glad i dont have a model with those options. the trac light wont damage your vehicle. if anything, you abs pump may seaze up after a while of not being uses, but that could take a few years. why the light is most likely comming on is because the non sevicble hub/sensor is failing, you would have to replace the whole hub. when you do, its in your favor to basucally buy the best wheel bearings you can get, as cheap ones will fail with in a year and you'll have to replace it twice, the second time with the better wheel bearing IMO! there shouldnt be a "cheap choice" with parts like this but there is.