Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans Build: just asking

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:12 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default just asking

when I drop my pan tomorrow how many quarts do I put in it is the 4t65e in it on my ls lt hybrid.

what I mean a ls lt hybrid is the interior things and the rims I put on that calls for the lt.

but I don't want to put to much fluid in or not enough to be honest I just forgotten on how many I got the last time.

it is starting to slip a little and it is time to change the fluid as well. just forgotten on how many quarts

Old 08-28-2016, 09:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The amount of fluid on an engine (or this case) transmission does not matter if you altered the rims and wheels.

The 4t65e is pretty standard across the different years. Regardless of v8 vs v6, the trans needs 7.4 quarts if you are only dropping the pan and changing the filter.

I believe completely dry (including the torque converter) it's 13 quarts.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:19 PM
15 Year Member

found out it takes 7 for pan drop and filter change. I don't think there is a way for the torque converter has a bolt for it to drain it. like fords 4r70w like the mercury I have. I wish the 4t65e and the hd has the same bolt. to be able to drain that as well and fill every thing. after draining it. it is what a lot of us wished gm would do for the torques in the transmissions they use. it is one of the reason why some shops do drop the pan change the fluid and fill and hook it up to the machine to change the fluid in the torque as well. but that leaves me question the condition of the new filter after every thing is done.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

ZZP makes a new pan with a drain plug, you could also install that, and do a drain and fill 2 or 3 times, should flush the majority of the old fluid out of the torque converter

Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 PM

They probably didnt add a way to drain the converter since its 100k mile fluid, and the transmission won't last much longer than that anyways, lol j/k

Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
The 4t65e is pretty standard across the different years. Regardless of v8 vs v6, the trans needs 7.4 quarts if you are only dropping the pan and changing the filter.
Originally Posted by monte07
found out it takes 7 for pan drop and filter change.
Isn't that what I just said lol

Originally Posted by monte07
I don't think there is a way for the torque converter has a bolt for it to drain it. like fords 4r70w like the mercury I have. I wish the 4t65e and the hd has the same bolt. to be able to drain that as well and fill every thing. after draining it. it is what a lot of us wished gm would do for the torques in the transmissions they use. it is one of the reason why some shops do drop the pan change the fluid and fill and hook it up to the machine to change the fluid in the torque as well. but that leaves me question the condition of the new filter after every thing is done.
Not sure what you mean by the HD having a different bolt pattern? I believe the HD and non-HD have the same bolt pattern on the trans pans. Only difference is the differential, side cover and a shorter CV half shaft on one side.

As for the torque converter, I've dealt with transmissions on GM cars for years, change fluid and filter every 100K miles, no issues. I think the amount of fluid in the torque converter for a normal street car is not enough to worry about, hence why they don't have a drain for it.

BTW - First and so far only time I did a fluid/filter change on a Ford, I would have appreciated some warning that from the factory Ford leaves a "plug" floating in the trans pan (keeps debris out of the trans where the dip tube goes, once the dip tube is installed, that plug sits in the bottom of the pan).

Old 08-30-2016, 04:58 AM
15 Year Member

the 4r70w is used in majority of ford vehicles like the 4t65e and the 4l65e. the only difference I have noticed is that bold on the torque. to be able to drain that on the 4r because of the same trans is in the f150. the 4t65e don't get me wrong is a good trans I am on the next trans pan drop the trans pan with that nut. to be able to at least make a chance on keeping a neater fluid change like how we do a regular oil change. I have noticed that the trans oil was very dirty glad I am doing it. no it is not have a smell. but it explains why the lagging shifts I have done it before when it shifted like that and it cleared right up. I just didn't have the time to do the interval right away as in when the milage hit the mark to change it. 120k on it and I should have done it at 117k. it shouldn't be hurt in a way 3k off of that mark I am trying to keep the trans as long as possible. it is the second trans had to get the one rebuilt at 25k the shop said it was a factory flaw. the first gear they showed me just came apart they said they were surprised it lasted to 25k. on how many peaces it threw around there surprised it was able to move into reverse and go straight to second