Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Carburetor help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/carburetor-help-59346/)

GreaseMonkey 02-08-2018 05:36 AM

Carburetor help

Hey, all! I have a 1974 Monte Carlo and when I bought her back in December, she came with a new 2 barrel carburetor. I also have the original 2 barrel. About a week ago, I was doing a deep inventory of what is good and what needs replacing. This new carb is so freaking tiny! D: I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth it to rebuild the old carb and put it back on? Would I get better gas mileage from a bigger 2 barrel? Would I get more performance out of her?

jakefluker 02-09-2018 02:10 PM

All depends on cost, which prob just be better off replacing it. If like good mileage stick with 2bbl but performance end get 4bbl

Jeffs02rwdSS 02-11-2018 08:29 AM

Tough choice there, If your plan on keeping it stock I would see which 2 bbll belongs on there and go that route providing the intake is also 1974. If that's not a concern rebuild what is on there as it would give you more power than the smaller 2 bbl. I agree with jakefluker, if you want more power go to a 4 bbl and depending on the carb size you might not even notice a fuel mileage difference if you can keep your foot out of the throttle as the primary's in a some 4 bbl carbs are usually smaller which would give you better mileage.

GreaseMonkey 02-11-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS (Post 709195)
Tough choice there, If your plan on keeping it stock I would see which 2 bbll belongs on there and go that route providing the intake is also 1974. If that's not a concern rebuild what is on there as it would give you more power than the smaller 2 bbl. I agree with jakefluker, if you want more power go to a 4 bbl and depending on the carb size you might not even notice a fuel mileage difference if you can keep your foot out of the throttle as the primary's in a some 4 bbl carbs are usually smaller which would give you better mileage.

Yeah I was pretty concerned about the gas mileage. It's pretty bad right now because the new carb hasnt been tuned correctly and it just eats gas. That's why I was wondering if I should just rebuild the original 2 bbl or just drop the money on a new 4 bbl and intake. Thank you.

Jeffs02rwdSS 02-11-2018 09:04 AM

Not sure what your definition of eating gas is but providing you set the timing and adjust the air/fuel ratio for a smooth idle you might get around 13-15 mpg out of a 1974. If you swap to a 4 bbl I would recommend getting a new carb over a used or rebuilt one considering the last time Chevy put one on a vehicle was about 30 years ago. Of course you could also go to fuel injection for the best economy and power for less than a grand.