Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Blown engine, still runs, lacks power...smh

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:16 PM

If its nocking like you say,it sounds like you spun a rod bearing.aka crank and that rod garbage. easer to replace a motor.I know a lot of salvage yards rang about 250.00 - 500 for a motor if you look some time you can find one on craigslist even cheaper.
brian

Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 PM

So it caught fire, and spun a rod bearing? Are you 100% sure its a rod bearing (ie did you get a 2nd opinion)? How torched is the engine from the fire? (ie intake mani melted, wiring melted, etc?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM

if the rod went through the block it would catch fire.I know the hard way. I bet if you look where it was burning you would probably find a hole in the block. the oil can catch on fire.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know when the engine was on fire, it was under where the spark plugs (in front of the car view) was and burnt only the clamp ( that held the wires together) and the tip of the engine cover (where the oil cap fasten at). There's no more external damage due from the fire. I went outside just to crank it up and from the same location of the fire, it started smoking again...smh! I just want my engine fixed so I can stop paying for these rentals (at least I get a discount from Hertz since I am a employee). Imma have to take pics for you guys to see the external damage from the fire.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

STOP RUNNING IT YOU WILL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE! especially if it's knocking! your options are rebuild or replace the engine, with the engine still in the car/still assembled it is hard to say what amount of damage is done to it it deffininatly sounds to be more than a quick fix, does your oil look like chocolate milk?(antifreeze in the oil) or oil in your antifreeze?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Thats what I had replaced earlier this year was the intake manifold. Due to the fact of the oil and coolant mixing and leaking. So the oil now looks like regular black oil and the coolant is the same. The thing is that when the guy through the water on it, there was coolant leakage as well (i seen it on the engine and on the ground)...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM

if the rod went through the block it would catch fire.I know the hard way. I bet if you look where it was burning you would probably find a hole in the block. the oil can catch on fire.
I could be wrong here, but I'm going to say a rod didn't go through the block based on this:

The engine makes a loud rod knock going pass 2k Rpms and plus it knocks when I start it but idles down after the oil circulate through.
So the oil now looks like regular black oil and the coolant is the same.
I'm just thinking if something broke bad enough to send parts through the block- that it sure wouldn't still be running, much less at 2k+ rpm, or idling down normally. Plus, if he checked the oil- I'd think you'd have a bunch of metal debris in it- maybe even enough that some particles would be on the dipstick.

STOP RUNNING IT YOU WILL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE! especially if it's knocking!
lol, I agree. Although I guess if it is truly rod knock- then it doesn't make much difference- not like he's going to rebuild the old one when 3800's are a dime a dozen.

My car is parked, after he told me he will put an 03 3800 engine (with 63k miles on it) in for 2400, I'm thinking that he will chargethe insurance company. But after he told them it was my fault and they not going to investigate, I rather get it fixed on me own.
First of all- the fire wouldn't cause the engine to start knocking. Only way I could see that happening is some kind of massive oil failure that dumped all the oil (which caught fire) and the engine was running dry. But in that case- its mechanical failure- not fire damage.

You're definitely not going to get the insurance company to pay for a new engine though- something broke inside, and they don't cover mechanical failures, that would be the job of a warranty.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM

After taking pics for GM to evaluate, there is a MAJOR oil leakage right above the spark plugs. That whole section is oily! The reason why I am taking pics for them, they are trying to analyze the recall back in 09 (small engine fire) and will give me their decision afterwards. But how long its going to take for their decision, I ended up finding someone off craigslist with a 3800 (83K) out of a 02 lasebre and want only $400 for it. Which I have never purchased an engine before so I am kinda leary on what to look for. In my mind, I just wanna by it and see what happens. Hertz rental car is getting their cut out of my check for me getting back and fourth to work. SMH!!! Right now, I am about to say the hell with GM and just by the darn thing and FIND somebody to haul it from that location and put it in for me. Also, I called this company who says they have over 500 (3800) engine in stock and the lowest one he has is $1k (with 82k on it and a 3 month warranty)... I don't know about that one! What you guys think?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Any updates?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:02 PM

If it is oily above the spark plugs, it has to be the valve cover gaskets- no question really (especially if its on both heads)- there is nothing else with oil above them that could drip down over the valve covers, so that's pretty simple.

However, that would explain the fire- as it is partially what the recall was about (oil leakage being trapped in the plug wire channel)- but honestly, you're going to need a new engine anyways. You said the engine is blown, and is making a knocking sound.

All the recall work will do is replace the valve cover gaskets, and maybe fix any damage from a fire if it was too late- but regardless, they're not going to replace the bottom end of the engine in any case, that is totally unrelated. So you're going to need a new engine regardless.

If you've been renting a car for over a month now, I'd definitely stop doing that, and get the thing fixed however you can. You're going to end up doubling your repair bill by the time you get the thing fixed. GM shouldn't have the car for more than a few days 'deciding', if they're dragging their feet on fixing their end of the stuff- you need to get in there and throw a fit. I know it can take time for an approval on something like that, but if its been in there awhile, they need to get the ball rolling asap, especially if you're footing the bill for a rental.

Quick Reply: Blown engine, still runs, lacks power...smh