Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Block off plate on Z3 kit???? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/block-off-plate-z3-kit-60776/)

2004DaleJr.SS 05-09-2019 04:21 PM

Block off plate on Z3 kit????

Hello all. Does using the blower block off plate on the ZZP Z3 turbo kit hurt any overall
power and spool time that much? And would opening up the outlet on the blower help add any power to match
what the L26/L36 intake would do?

Thx.

bumpin96monte 05-09-2019 09:19 PM

Had a coupe friends in college with very similar cars (L67s w a base turbo kit), one w/ the blockoff one with a L26 intake. Neither went to a dyno, but they raced a few times.

IMO, the power difference is negligible. From a roll with the turbo already spooled, both cars were close enough to be a toss up every time. Obviously buying a base turbo kit, you're not trying to break records, so it's not something I would get real worried about. If you really want more power, meth injection and cranking the boost would be a far bigger gain.

I will say that spool on the NA intake seemed a bit quicker. Rolling into it normally, they both felt fairly slow to come up anyways, but I'll admit I was a bit jaded from having a loose converter and a fairly tiny pulley on my M90 at the time that really hit hard. Maybe it would be more noticeable to someone that drove a turbo car all the time. The thing about spool though is that you're not going to casually roll into it if you're seriously racing. You're going to brake boost it first. In doing so, you're getting the turbo most of the way there anyways so spool isnt really an issue at that point with a reasonably sized turbo like this.

Before you hack up the M90 though maybe its worthwhile to see if anyone local wants to buy / trade. I know they're kind of a dime a dozen anymore, but if you could get a bit of cash and get a little better performing car to boot, that seems like a win win.

Going SC to NA, I kinda wonder if you could just take the LIM-TB off and drop in a NA setup. Certainly you'd have to plug the injector holes, but youd avoid the hard part - having to pull the heads.

2004DaleJr.SS 05-09-2019 10:18 PM

Yeah i guess i could just sell the blower and LIM together. But the L36 intake conversion
cost $550 i was just gonna keep the blower case and block off plate and put the $$$ towards some else
like the ZZP 3" catback which i need anyway.

bumpin96monte 05-09-2019 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS (Post 717371)
Yeah i guess i could just sell the blower and LIM together. But the L36 intake conversion
cost $550 i was just gonna keep the blower case and block off plate and put the $$$ towards some else
like the ZZP 3" catback which i need anyway.

Wait, I'm confused, what's $550? You could probably get a LIM / UIM / TB for free from someone doing a top swap. Those parts have literally no value as there are a billion out there. I get your have to plug the injector bungs in the LIM, but that shouldn't be more than a $5 tube of JB weld or a handful of pipe plugs and a tap.

To be fair, I've never done that swap before, but I dont see what you could possibly need that would cost $550. You could literally buy a whole wrecked 3800 NA car for that.

2004DaleJr.SS 05-09-2019 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 717372)
Wait, I'm confused, what's $550? You could probably get a LIM / UIM / TB for free from someone doing a top swap. Those parts have literally no value as there are a billion out there. I get your have to plug the injector bungs in the LIM, but that shouldn't be more than a $5 tube of JB weld or a handful of pipe plugs and a tap.

To be fair, I've never done that swap before, but I dont see what you could possibly need that would cost $550. You could literally buy a whole wrecked 3800 NA car for that.

The ZZP L36 intake kit that replaces the blower and LIM with a L36 NA upper and lower intake cost $550 on ZZP's site.
I was looking to save that money and just keep my blower case and just use the block off plate to save the $550. I thought about going to a local
junkyard and pull a L26 or L36 upper intake and lower intake. Other than the injector bungs does the L36 UIM and LIM bolt right on the L67 engine?
If not then i would just retain the M90 case and LIM.

Thx Bumpin.

2004DaleJr.SS 05-09-2019 11:37 PM

I'm not looking to make a lot of power, somewhere in the 350whp range. I was just asking if the M90 case/Block off plate
setup actually hurts performance or is it worth adding the NA L36 UIM and LIM. If the L36 intake conversion only gains
about 10whp then i'm not too concerned. I could spend the time and money on other parts of my setup.

2004DaleJr.SS 05-10-2019 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=bumpin96monte;717368]Had a coupe friends in college with very similar cars (L67s w a base turbo kit), one w/ the blockoff one with a L26 intake. Neither went to a dyno, but they raced a few times.

IMO, the power difference is negligible. From a roll with the turbo already spooled, both cars were close enough to be a toss up every time. Obviously buying a base turbo kit, you're not trying to break records, so it's not something I would get real worried about. If you really want more power, meth injection and cranking the boost would be a far bigger gain.

You're right. I'm not worried about loosing a few HP by keeping the M90 case instead switching to an NA intake. My overall
plans are the: ZZP Z3 kit 12psi, ZZP ST1 cam or similar, front and rear PLOGs, ZZP 3 inch catback and other bolt ons. And i was just making sure
the M90 case wouldn't hurt performance too much.

bumpin96monte 05-10-2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS (Post 717373)
The ZZP L36 intake kit that replaces the blower and LIM with a L36 NA upper and lower intake cost $550 on ZZP's site.
I was looking to save that money and just keep my blower case and just use the block off plate to save the $550. I thought about going to a local
junkyard and pull a L26 or L36 upper intake and lower intake. Other than the injector bungs does the L36 UIM and LIM bolt right on the L67 engine?
If not then i would just retain the M90 case and LIM.

Thx Bumpin.

Wow, that's insane, I've never heard of that before. I cant imagine anyone nowadays is actually spending that unless theyve never been to a junkyard in their life. IMO, even a junkyard would probably be too expensive with people still doing top swaps fairly regularly. I know a few people that literally threw those L36 parts in the dumpster because there was no market for it.

As far as bolting on - yes it will. It's like doing a top swap backwards. Only difference is that you shouldn't have to pull heads. The top swap people do because if not, they'd have no injector bungs at all. With that said, I've never actually done it, so I'm not sure of any potential issues, but I'd sure think the L67 fuel rails would easily clear the NA intake.

If you were serious about trying it, I'd look to score the parts for free or near free and give it a shot. Even if you had to do a few minor tweaks, itll still be way less that $550, lol.

2004DaleJr.SS 07-06-2019 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 717378)
Wow, that's insane, I've never heard of that before. I cant imagine anyone nowadays is actually spending that unless theyve never been to a junkyard in their life. IMO, even a junkyard would probably be too expensive with people still doing top swaps fairly regularly. I know a few people that literally threw those L36 parts in the dumpster because there was no market for it.

As far as bolting on - yes it will. It's like doing a top swap backwards. Only difference is that you shouldn't have to pull heads. The top swap people do because if not, they'd have no injector bungs at all. With that said, I've never actually done it, so I'm not sure of any potential issues, but I'd sure think the L67 fuel rails would easily clear the NA intake.

If you were serious about trying it, I'd look to score the parts for free or near free and give it a shot. Even if you had to do a few minor tweaks, itll still be way less that $550, lol.

Thanks man for all your help. I appreciate it. Just a few more question. I will need to plug the injector bungs on the L36 UIM correct? What can I use to plug them with?

bumpin96monte 07-06-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS (Post 718333)
Thanks man for all your help. I appreciate it. Just a few more question. I will need to plug the injector bungs on the L36 UIM correct? What can I use to plug them with?

Never done it before, but I'd think it's your call as to which you plug. The injectors are the same size, so you can run the bigger injectors you'll need in either spot.

I'd think the L36 location would work better if you were using NA stock rails as L67 rails would probably look goofy. But if you're ever going to use aftermarket rails, you'll need the L67 location.

As far as how to plug, depends what you're most comfortable with. Drill and tap for pipe plug be preferred for huge boost. Another option is a smooth pipe plug epoxied in. Lots of options as it's not like you're going to be running 40-50+ psi diesel boost.