Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Anyone use larger oil filter for 3800?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
I use a pf52. If it can fit safely why not have the extra protection or atleast piece of mind even if it doesn't do anything.
My concern is the 'safely fit' part as clearance isn't the same for all 3800 cars. Clearance from the filter to the subframe varies for a few reasons:
-Different oil filter adapter
-Different types of subframe
-Different type of motor mounts

​​​​​Add to that the variables of how worn the motor mounts are and how much power the engine makes (ie how much it rocks around) and that clearance can get pretty tight with a longer filter. No doubt it's a rare occurrence compared to the number of people running them, but a few people have hit the longer oil filter on the cradle.

Since the stock filter setup has proven just fine from high hp cars to daily drivers with hundreds of thousands of miles, I just don't see the benefit in messing with it. It doesn't really offer any proven better filtering capability and if you do happen to plug up a PF47 within the normal OCI, the engine is already toast anyways to be releasing that much debris (blow by or bearing pieces).

If the goal really is to get a better filter on there, there is an aftermarket adapter made to allow you to remote mount whatever type of filter you want. Or course it requires external lines to connect that, so that certainly comes at its own risk as well (leaking fittings, blown lines, etc) but it could be made as reliable as stock if done correctly.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 08-22-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just an update, last oil change I tried the PF52 longer oil filter. It looked like it would fit, but due to the angle of the oil filter adapter, I could not angle the filter enough to line up the hole with the threads. the bottom corner of the filter hit the frame, so it's a no-go. Keep on using the stock filter is the only option for now.
Thanks
Dave

Old 04-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Weird, I've used the pf52 for years issue free.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 PM

I have used the longer filter for years with no issue's Wix 51036 or Fram PH3980 More oil,. more filter media and easier to get a hold of to remove.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
I have used the longer filter for years with no issue's Wix 51036 or Fram PH3980 More oil,. more filter media and easier to get a hold of to remove.
Valid points, ding ding ding. You have to be a grease monkey to think like that. AWESOME!!