Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

99 Lumina LTZ supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM

OK im back this is going to create an uproar i know but yes the dyno was wrong the wheels was slipping on it in 1st gear and the pressure change to the turbos was due to a problem with the check engine light and the bov i turned down the pressure and it stopped but i took the lsx to a drag strip near where i live and dyno'd it there and its pushing 560hp not 700+ this is a correct reading and for the "threads" on the injectors the are more like grips for the o ring to stay on it was modified due to the fact that for the motor itself i couldnt get an injector set with a high enough fuel ratio to run the car so i had to modify a set to fit cause the ones i could get the car would start it would idle but as soon as i throttled a bit it would choke out and stall the highpressure fuel pump was designed for fuel cells on dragsters the turbo "breathing and cooling unit" is the piping and intercooler system since alot of you had no idea what i was talking about and yes i ment v-tec
the transmittion was out of a 96 gtp dont know what number it was the gears are aftermarket made at cibbles machining by my house and no the pistons are not tall the explination for the short throw piston arms was due to the fact with the vtec heads i was crushing the spark plug wires on the firewall so the block and heads had to be shaved the arms are only 3/10ths of an inch shorter just enough that everything fit nicely in the car and wouldnt melt the sparkplug wires the titanium pistons by j&e are titanium dipped machined aluminum pistons they are special order

Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM

OK im back this is going to create an uproar i know but yes the dyno was wrong the wheels was slipping on it in 1st gear and the pressure change to the turbos was due to a problem with the check engine light and the bov i turned down the pressure and it stopped but i took the lsx to a drag strip near where i live and dyno'd it there and its pushing 560hp not 700+ this is a correct reading and for the "threads" on the injectors the are more like grips for the o ring to stay on it was modified due to the fact that for the motor itself i couldnt get an injector set with a high enough fuel ratio to run the car so i had to modify a set to fit cause the ones i could get the car would start it would idle but as soon as i throttled a bit it would choke out and stall the highpressure fuel pump was designed for fuel cells on dragsters the turbo "breathing and cooling unit" is the piping and intercooler system since alot of you had no idea what i was talking about and yes i ment v-tec
the transmittion was out of a 96 gtp dont know what number it was the gears are aftermarket made at cibbles machining by my house and no the pistons are not tall the explination for the short throw piston arms was due to the fact with the vtec heads i was crushing the spark plug wires on the firewall so the block and heads had to be shaved the arms are only 3/10ths of an inch shorter just enough that everything fit nicely in the car and wouldnt melt the sparkplug wires the titanium pistons by j&e are titanium dipped machined aluminum pistons they are special order
Hey man sounds awesome! How did you get those Honda VTEC heads to fit on your GM 3800 block? Craaaaaazzzzzzeeeeee!!

I see your in Pennsylvania, well, I'm in Pittsburgh and am heading to Pittsburgh Raceway Park tommorow night and Friday night. Why don't you bring out the VTEC powered twin-turbo Lumina to show what it can do at the track? I'll have a video camera there to so we can record it in action for everyone on here.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 PM

when your talking about knock, are you talking about my motor knocking? if so why would it knock, after the top swap? sorry if thats a dumb question.
Yes. It would knock after a top swap- because think of it like this: the stock L67 (the engine you would get the top end parts from) has a supercharger, and a low compression ratio of 8.5:1; and still can occasionally get a little knock stock running on premium fuel.

Now, if you stick those parts on top of an L36 (like you have) with higher compression of 9.4:1, you're going to be generating even more heat- and the engine will be even more knock prone. So even on premium fuel, without any other mods- you'll likely have a good bit more knock than a stock L67 would. So your options are to slow the blower down with a bigger pulley making less boost and less heat, swap the entire L67 engine for the lower compression ratio, do some mods that reduce knock (ie downpipe, intake, etc), or run higher octane fuel (although the next step up from 93 octane premium around here is 100 unleaded thats $6/gal)- although E85 is an option if you wanted to go that route.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM

...Well, the posts in this thread sure sounds like a Monte Family with different views : ) Well, mine's bigger then yours, and it's faster 2.... 4-Sure `not : )

Member's keep it in control, and don't hurt with your words.
Some words could be Smoke and just blow away..., but there's a lot of SMoke on the World Wide Wide 4-Sure.

Agree 2 disagree...It will all get clear, once the smoke has cleared...4-Sure....We can only judge on the net, by the words we post.....

KEEP it Stress `Free 4 ALL Monte Carlo Family Member's.

Not everything you read by `Space is true...Just a fantasy...., but I think everyone knows that by now...

Keep the Peace & EnJoy ~ I've learned a lot of infor on this thread, and had a few laughs

Thanks for all your posts & infor...& read between the lines : ) Peace/Out/Enjoy

Old 09-15-2009, 01:33 PM

the dyno was wrong the wheels was slipping on it in 1st gear
First question- why are you dynoing in 1st? Second, if the wheels slip on the dyno, your hp rating goes down- not up.

but i took the lsx to a drag strip near where i live and dyno'd it there and its pushing 560hp not 700+ this is a correct reading
Ok, so what did it run at the dragstrip? 560whp is a lot more realistic for a turbo 3800, although it puts you among the highest horsepower of regular consumer turbo builds. A dyno graph or vid of the dyno run would help back that up.

was modified due to the fact that for the motor itself i couldnt get an injector set with a high enough fuel ratio to run the car so i had to modify a set to fit
There are at least 2 regular, plug in injectors that would've worked for your power level. On top of that, you could've got the imedance coverter from ZZP and run 100+ lb/hr injectors.

From my calculations here:

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

Using 680 bhp (550*1.25), .55 bsfc, .9 duty cycle, and 43.5 psi- that comes out to needing a 69 lb/hr injector. If you bump duty cycle to .95, it comes out to 65 lb/hr.

This means you really probably could've got away with the 65# injectors most run w/ a boost a pump on a walbro- and maybe the higher FPR if necessary. If nothing else, you could use the drop in79# injectors- which would've been more than enough from here:

http://www.prjperformance.com/ (click on products)

So what size injectors did you end up using if those weren't big enough?

i could get the car would start it would idle but as soon as i throttled a bit it would choke out and stall
Part throttle it would stall on the biggest drop in injectors? Definitely BS. I could see problems at WOT, but not with a "little bit of throttle"- maybe if you put stock L36 injectors in there, lol.

the highpressure fuel pump was designed for fuel cells on dragsters
Like I said before- its not "high pressure", your fuel pressure regulator controls fuel pressure- so if you're exceeding the amount it allows, then something is wrong. Why not just go with a drop in Walbro and a boost a pump?

the transmittion was out of a 96 gtp dont know what number it was the gears are aftermarket made at cibbles machining by my house
Can anybody confirm- was this the Getrag 284? The sites I found said that was only up to 94 GTP's. I still can't imagine one of those old manuals being rated over 300 lb ft of torque- and you must be over 600 lb ft.

and yes i ment v-tec
Like I said before- please explain what car these came from- no 3800 ever had "vortec" heads- and if you're actually talking "vtec" like Honda's have, then lol.... just lol....

the short throw piston arms was due to the fact with the vtec heads i was crushing the spark plug wires on the firewall
lol, wtf- now I'm very curious what heads you put on there. I've got regular 3800 heads in my 96 monte (same body as yours)- and I'm nowhere near the firewall with the engine mounts all bolted in. The luminas came with 3800s in later years and have plenty of clearance- I don't understand how you got heads that are 3,4, maybe even 5"+ taller than stock?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Well this is definatley not the right thread for me ask questions about a 3.8 top swap. It looks like you guys got bigger things to worry about lol. Let the guy prove on paper that he makes that kind of power n have him upload copies of the reciepts to the thread about the exact products he bought. I read through the thread and I'm interested too but I also have my doubts. I could tell some people I put a heavy duty d-valve in the fan belt and get some people to believe it but I can't prove it. PROOF MY MAN! That's all these people want is proof! Especially on somethin as sweet as that

Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 PM

P.S. - Part of that was intended for everyone and the last part was intended for BlackMagicGM. Just tryin to stay on everyone's good side

Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM

lol, wtf- now I'm very curious what heads you put on there. I've got regular 3800 heads in my 96 monte (same body as yours)- and I'm nowhere near the firewall with the engine mounts all bolted in. The luminas came with 3800s in later years and have plenty of clearance- I don't understand how you got heads that are 3,4, maybe even 5"+ taller than stock?
Dude, do your heads have 2 camshafts in them and 4 valves per cylinder like his VTEC heads do!!? No, I didn't think so!! Hehehehe

Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM

PS- pretty sure that this guy is a "troll"- there's probably a private section of ClubGP or something where a bunch of guys are laughing at this thread right now.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
PS- pretty sure that this guy is a "troll"- there's probably a private section of ClubGP or something where a bunch of guys are laughing at this thread right now.
TROLL??? The people that live in the U.P of Michigan are called "You-pers", but those living in the lower penninsula are called "Trolls", cuz we "live under the bridge!" LOL! That makes everyone from ZZPerformance "Trolls". I'm not saying they are "trolling", just something us "L. P.'rs" have in common.

(Trying to bring some humor into this thread!)

Quick Reply: 99 Lumina LTZ supercharger