Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   3.8 supercharger question (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/3-8-supercharger-question-10519/)

3800monte 09-05-2008 11:21 PM

3.8 supercharger question

ok i have an 2001 mc ss n/aand i wanna supercharge it and im wondering if i can head down to my local junk yard and get a supercharger off an intimadator impala ss regal gs bonivill ssei or gtp and slap it on my baby or is there more to it then that cause i no in 01 there was no supercharged feature all help is greatly appreciated.

bumpin96monte 09-09-2008 07:33 AM

RE: 3.8 supercharger question

Yeah, you grab the blower, lower intake, TB, heads, crank pulley- tensioner, coil pack bracket, fuel rails, injectors,- basically the whole top half of the engine:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...kit-p-157.html

Its a pretty involved swap- a lot more than just slapping the s/c on.

v8_Killa 09-10-2008 07:23 PM

does any 1 know were to get the instructions on how to do the top swap?

bumpin96monte 09-11-2008 12:35 AM

Buy a repair manual for your car that includes engine repair (most of the repair manuals have a section for how to get the engine down to the bare shortblock inside the car).

Its not that big of a deal- basically go look at your car, and look at the heads (the things the exhaust manifolds bolt to)- everything from there up- including the heads themselves- comes off. Also, you need to take the crank pulley off as well.

If you are mechanically able to get that far, its just a matter of putting the replacement L67 parts back on in place of the stuff you took off.

nemesis 09-11-2008 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

Yeah, you grab the blower, lower intake, TB, heads, crank pulley- tensioner, coil pack bracket, fuel rails, injectors,- basically the whole top half of the engine:

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...kit-p-157.html

Its a pretty involved swap- a lot more than just slapping the s/c on.
don't forget pcm.

if you are serious on top swap email/call this guy.
he can help you from intalling to getting the whole top swap kits.
www.tripleedgeperformance.com

3800monte 09-15-2008 04:18 PM

am i gonna need to get a tranny of a s/c car or will mine be able to hold out

f16fixr 09-15-2008 04:42 PM

You will want to get the HD tranny and axles as well. with the torque created from the s/c the original tranny and axles won't hold up as well as the hd does.

bumpin96monte 09-17-2008 02:01 AM

am i gonna need to get a tranny of a s/c car or will mine be able to hold out
No one on here (unless someone knows you and your car) is going to be able to tell you if your tranny will last or not. You are obviously not looking to do a top swap for fuel efficiency- you're wanting to make more power at WOT- hence racing it. Stuff can break when you're racing it.

A lot of this is going to depend on how well your transmission has been cared for in the past, and what shape it is in now. The transmission in the s/c cars is virtually identical to yours, so strength is a non-issue. You could just as easily do a top swap and blow your transmission, as you could do a top swap and a 4t65hd swap and blow that (because the tranny's previous owner raced it). A lot of it is going to be luck and past history of the trans, but your current trans should be just fine.

bumpin96monte 09-17-2008 02:03 AM

You will want to get the HD tranny and axles as well. with the torque created from the s/c the original tranny and axles won't hold up as well as the hd does.
I really don't know where you guys get this crap from- there are so many people that are convinced that the L67 vehicles get some superior transaxle system, and thats just not the case.

We'll start with the axles first, since you mentioned them. The drivers side axles are identical between 4t65 and 4t65hd vehicles (I would bet they're even the same part number)- but that end of the output shaft is the same on both transmissions, hence both axles are the same.

The passenger side axle is different- but that is because of the different size of the 4t65hd diff cover- the outer part, shaft, joints, etc are all identical- the only difference is the inner tripot is shaped differently to accomodate the shorter place. It is no stronger than a regular axle.

Now onto the transmission, the only strength difference between the 4t65 and 4t65hd is in the differential- the hd diff is bigger and 'stronger', but how many people do you see breaking a differential from too much torque? The bulk majority of 4t65 diff failures are from doing 1 wheel peels, I can't say I've ever seen a regular 4t65 diff fail from too much power/torque. Not to mention, street tires don't typically hook up well enough to do much damage to transmission hard parts anyways.

The key failure areas in the 4t65 are the input shaft and drive chain- both of which are identical strength wise between the 4t65 and 4t65hd.

bumpin96monte 09-17-2008 02:04 AM

The other bad thing is the swap to the 4t65hd would make him noticeably slower. The 4t65hd uses a larger diameter, heavier torque converter- and a larger differential. Both of which take more power to spin than their smaller 4t65 parts. Plus, the regular 4t65 has a 3.29 drive sprocket ratio, whereas the 4t65hd only has a 2.93 ratio.

Lastly, if you searching the hundreds of top swap cars out there (it has been done a lot on grand prix's), many many of them are running their stock 4t65. If you're really crazy about having the "HD strength", then you can do the upgrade to your trans (diff, diff cover, pass axle) for easily under $200 and a couple hours without having to pull the engine or trans.