Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   3.4L Performance Gains? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/3-4l-performance-gains-13957/)

MonteLSV6 05-29-2009 12:14 AM

3.4L Performance Gains?

Hey all, so recently I've noticed that my '02 monte is lagging in the performance area. I'm not sure if there's much I can do since it has 75,559 miles on it. But I'm willing to give it a go. I'm wondering if there's anything that I can do, without spending the big bucks yet on getting my car up and running quick like she used to. Thanks everyone for posting. By big bucks in mean in the thousands lol

chitownmc 05-29-2009 12:56 AM

milyzmotorsports.com

use the search tool I found a lot of info already on here for our motors

Mikhail Tomasovic 05-29-2009 11:24 AM

you've got a beautiful car man! if you can't find much at all... i am not sure what the fuel pump and exhaust system differences are from your car to mine but i would pull a 3800 series II out of a GTP and stick it on in there... you can find one used on clubgp.com, dump the new engine in will take you a little over a day and do a complete work over... that is just my opinion because there are limited things that can be done to the 3.4 i believe... i'm sure bumpin or someone will come in here and prove me wrong so don't take everything i say to heart.

EDIT: PFFT nevermind man i am thinking of the 3.5l motor... hahah

biggriggs 05-29-2009 11:59 AM

If you've noticed a drop in performance, then a tune up would be a good place to start.
I think you already posted a thread about getting new plugs/wires, so that should help you cover your bases there.
If taking care of the standard tune-up stuff doesn't bring your Monte back to what you're used to, then you may have a small mechanical problem. It's not uncommon for the 3.4L to develop lower intake manifold gasket issues. Let's hope that's not the case.
-Riggs.

MonteLSV6 05-29-2009 12:47 PM

Well thanks Mikhail :]. Yeah I was thinking about that, when I get the money later on, doing a 3.4L motor swap to a 3.8L SC one. Then I can have fun! =D...as for you biggriggs, lol I really don't know how to actually do a motor swap, but i'm willing to learn. And yeah, I hope not either =[

biggriggs 05-29-2009 02:39 PM

I wasn't suggesting a motor swap. Not really worth it unless you already have a ton of work done to your car and you know how to do the job yourself. It's a pretty involved swap, but can be done. If you really want to go supercharged, I'd highly recommend picking up a used one supercharged Monte and starting from there. You'll save yourself a lot of headache, and a lot of money if you're not doing the job yourself.

So, yeah....tune up. If you haven't done these yet, then they should probably be replaced at 7 years and 75k miles........
Plugs, wires, air filter, pcv valve, fuel filter, and new o2 sensors.
All in all, you're probably looking at $130 in parts (assuming $30,$20,$10,$5,$15,$50) and it should make the car feel like new (well, almost).
Check your oil for coolant when you change your oil. That can happen with a LIM gasket failure, and can be catastrophic.

-Riggs.

MonteLSV6 05-29-2009 08:04 PM

Hm, ok...well I was thinking to replace the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and a K&N air filter...and for the pcv valve....is it suppose to come out when I can just pull on it every so easily?

biggriggs 05-30-2009 12:01 AM

The PCV valve should be pretty easy to remove.
It's just sitting right on the front of the engine on the 3.4L, and has a vacuum hose attached to the top.
Should pop right off.

-Riggs.