Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): 3.4 LS (2004) Transmission Problems (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/3-4-ls-2004-transmission-problems-56078/)

Cownuv 04-28-2016 02:03 PM

3.4 LS (2004) Transmission Problems

Really hoped that I wouldn't have to make this post at least not yet, but guys I am at a loss. My Monte has 48k miles on it, and recently (past couple months) the transmissions has been shifting extremely rough on up shifts. It only seems to happen once the car has warmed up that, and it does not occur on a downshift. What could this be? I really do not want to have to replace the tranny in a car that has not even hit 50k miles yet :thumbsdown:

Thanks!

BeachBumMike 04-28-2016 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cownuv (Post 687894)
Really hoped that I wouldn't have to make this post at least not yet, but guys I am at a loss. My Monte has 48k miles on it, and recently (past couple months) the transmissions has been shifting extremely rough on up shifts. It only seems to happen once the car has warmed up that, and it does not occur on a downshift. What could this be? I really do not want to have to replace the tranny in a car that has not even hit 50k miles yet :thumbsdown:

Thanks!

:rolleyes:
Sorry to read about your transmission issue. I hope one of our expert member's can assist when they view your post. I'm not one of them that know about problem transmissions :(:)
You may want to check our MCF Search Engine in the Top Center of every page. I found this thread below on the subject that may give your some infor. Good Luck & I wish you good shifting.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...roblems-53522/
:rolleyes: Click above link 2 view

plumbob 04-28-2016 06:20 PM

Sounds like a solenoid problem, probably the torque converter clutch solenoid (TCC). A good scan tool should either show a code or provide real time data to diagnose. Solenoids are fairly inexpensive and just requires removal of the side case for access to replace parts. It would be wise to replace the pressure control solenoid (PCS), 1-2, and 3-4 shift solenoids while the transmission is open, and of course, a new trans. filter and fluid.

Here's a video:

Rodney Baker 11-02-2016 11:22 AM

I have a 03 and it stopped shifting from 2nd to to 3rd and 4th. When I turned the engine off and back on it started shifting fine for about a week. Then it did it again. Now I only have 1st and 2nd. Anyone know what the problem may be ?

Cownuv 11-02-2016 06:20 PM

I guess to give an update on this I eventually took it to my local Chevrolet dealership, and it was $1100 for the total repair and Plumbob was 100% right. Now probably about 2 months after the repair everything is smooth, and hell even better than it was when I originally bought it. It is really to bad these transmissions are so weak.

plumbob 11-02-2016 09:23 PM

Cownuv, great to here you got fixed without needing a total overhaul or remanufactured transmission.

Rodney, Sounds like the PCC solenoid for you, but could also be worn clutch plates.
If your lucky, it's the PCC which as was the case with Cownuv only requires opening the side case. Would be wise to replace the 1-2, and 3-4 shift solenoids and TCC solenoid while open since they each run about $25. Again, it takes a good scan tool to diagnose.

Monte metcalf 08-07-2017 02:07 PM

I'm having a similar issue with an 06 LS and I live in Alaska so anyone who will look at it wants my first born child to basically tell me either nothing is wrong or it just needs a brand new tranny. I'm pulling my hair out over this one please help. With WOT my car refuses to shift from 2-3 and jumps straight to 4 revving the Roma to 4,000 or 5,000. If I let off the gas it shifts and down real smooth and I'm good to go. I changed the fluid and filter 1,000 miles ago and the fluid is already turning color. I can walk the gears up manually 1,2,3,D but don't want my tranny blowing up when it could just be a few seleniods.

Anybody got anything. Like I said I'm from Alaska and any help would be appreciated.

plumbob 08-07-2017 07:52 PM

Your problem is different from the thread posted here.

You might get lucky and the problem is either the PCS solenoid or the 2-3 shift solenoid, but very dark trans fluid is never a good sign. That mostly comes from worn clutch plate material and/or overheating. I suggest you get checked for codes. A scan will tell you if a solenoid is bad. When long shifts are sensed the TCM activates "maximum adapt and long shift mode" (code P1811) to get you home. It increases fluid pressure to compensate and it's not good to go long term in this mode.

Here's a link to a list of 4T65E transmission codes and their descriptions. The problem can be better diagnosed from a code. Most of the big chain part stores will scan for free.

Link to codes: https://www.trnw.net/z-search/4T65E.php

Here's a couple videos for you:

Monte metcalf 08-07-2017 07:55 PM

As of 10 minutes ago I no longer have 2-3-4 only 1st and r and I only get power to 1st for 30 sec!!?!?!? What's going on here?

plumbob 08-07-2017 09:18 PM

Dang!, that's really, really bad news. Sounds like it might be time for a rebuild.

Rather than going into details myself as a shade tree mechanic, here's a webpage from Triple Edge Performance, who's owner (Dave) is regarded as one of the foremost experts on the 4T65E. This page lists all the common problems, symptoms and likely causes.

Link: 4T65E Common Problems