Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   2006 Monte Oil Leak Front Passenger (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/2006-monte-oil-leak-front-passenger-51991/)

grizzlyaddams 02-05-2015 12:03 PM

2006 Monte Oil Leak Front Passenger

I just had the oil changed on my 2006 Monte Carlo. The shop told me that I was seeping oil from the rear seal. I had to put in 1 quart of oil before I had it changed (5000 miles) I had never ever seen any oil drips under my car.

Now I am dripping oil to the ground but it is at the front-passenger side of the vehicle, and by front I mean the drips are to the front of the tires/engine on the passenger side.

There is a lot of snow in my area right now. I can't get on the ground to look at it. I would also take it back to the shop (it was a quick lube place) but I am at work and it's really bugging me how I went from no drips to drips after an oil change. Especially drips in that location. Loose filter maybe?

What do you guys think?

ChibiBlackSheep 02-05-2015 01:00 PM

Very possible that it's from the oil filter, which engine is in the car?

80Monte 02-05-2015 01:12 PM

I agree. Check that filter area for any signs of leakage. You sure don't want to run low on oil on the way home or do serious damage to your engine. Good luck!

grizzlyaddams 02-05-2015 01:55 PM

2006 Monte Carlo LS 3.5. As a side note, the technician at the shop told me he saw seepage from my rear seal.

Could the seepage have changed to a drip since the oil change 5 days ago? And that is collecting on the frame and running off near the front?

ChibiBlackSheep 02-05-2015 02:09 PM

Yeah on the 3500 it's up in an annoying channel and the drip could be seen near the passenger tire. I would jack that sucker up and check the oil filter first.

Rear main seal is pretty common, but I would think it wouldn't have changed that drastically.

grizzlyaddams 02-05-2015 02:19 PM

For giggles I just went and checked the dipstick and it looks way over filled. Like above the crosshatch and almost to the corkscrew part of the stick.

STUMPMI 02-05-2015 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by grizzlyaddams (Post 646400)
For giggles I just went and checked the dipstick and it looks way over filled. Like above the crosshatch and almost to the corkscrew part of the stick.

That sounds like its possibly 2 quarts over full..

Or
Possibly you have gas/Antifreee leaking into the oil?:eek:

I would pull the dip stick again and smell it..
If it smells like gas and or has a milk shake look on it..
You could be heading for trouble. also pull the oil fill cap and also check it for any "milk shake" colored fluid/clumps.

My hope is... Its over full on oil...

grizzlyaddams 02-05-2015 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 646423)
That sounds like its possibly 2 quarts over full..

Or
Possibly you have gas/Antifreee leaking into the oil?:eek:

I would pull the dip stick again and smell it..
If it smells like gas and or has a milk shake look on it..
You could be heading for trouble. also pull the oil fill cap and also check it for any "milk shake" colored fluid/clumps.

My hope is... Its over full on oil...

Oil looks nice, always has. Coolant remains full ever since I changed the water pump. My fuel mileage hasn't changed, and the oil doesn't really have much of a smell.

Took it back, and while they agreed it was about a quart and a half over filled, they wouldn't REALLY admit they did it. I had them drain about a quart, and when I checked it at the shop it looked right on target. I got it home and let it set for 10 minutes, checked it again, and it looked too low... I will check again in the morning.

I had the guy working the bottom take some pics. Attached is a pic of my oil pan/filter area. The excess oil must've blown the pan gasket?

Talked to the general manager of the area franchises for this shop. His immediate demeanor was that I was trying to scam them. He even purported that I added the extra oil myself. After about 20 minutes on the phone and me telling him I didn't want anything from him or his shop and he could sod off with that attitude, he changed his tune and said he would foot the bill to have a mechanic at least look at it. I'll probably be taking it in a couple of days. I was hoping ditching the excess oil would stop any drips, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

ChibiBlackSheep 02-06-2015 10:33 AM

When the shop was checking it, the oil was probably warm and not fully drained down into the oil pan yet. You should always check oil levels after about 20 minutes of letting it sit.

Let the mechanic (of your choice!) take a look at it and determine. Hard to tell because it's quite a mess down there.

STUMPMI 02-06-2015 02:18 PM

Maybe they cross threaded the filter housing?

Hope not..
Keep us posted..
Thanks!