Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   Engine Build: 2002 Monte Carlo SS V6 --> 2006 5.3L V8 SS Mount Possible? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/2002-monte-carlo-ss-v6-2006-5-3l-v8-ss-mount-possible-57183/)

Erik Johnson 10-05-2016 12:17 PM

2002 Monte Carlo SS V6 --> 2006 5.3L V8 SS Mount Possible?

in the future i plan to do this; so my dad knows a junkyard guy who can get us GREAT deals on engines, so I was thinking, since i saw a Pace Car Monte 2006 have a V8 engine the room looks exactly the same if not a little bigger than the 2002 monte ss that i currently possess...

so IS it possible? i am not saying i am doing it now or anything I would like to know a list of what i would have to change in order to make it work because if you can do this to older cars like my dad took his v6 1987 trans am and put a small block v8 in it and it runs great, who says my monte cant do the same, after all, it is a GM vehicle they are all made roughly the same.

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - Erik Johnson's Album: Project: Sharon

ChibiBlackSheep 10-05-2016 12:45 PM

Is it possible? Yes.

Is it a ton of work? Yes.

It's more than just an engine swap to put the v8 into an earlier model. You will have to do the engine swap, wiring harness, trans, all of the interior electricals (airbags, gauges, etc), bcm, pcm, tcm.

IMHO, it's not a worthy swap. It's super cheap to get LS4 cars compared to doing the work to swap. Building up a 3800 would be a ton easier and put out more power and cost much less.

Erik Johnson 10-05-2016 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 696048)
IMHO, it's not a worthy swap. It's super cheap to get LS4 cars.

yeah theres a rear ended wrecked SS at a scrapyard now that the engine only has 45k on it and its in great condition
its like $400 so i am going to take the engine out if thats the case and put it in my car.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-05-2016 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Erik Johnson (Post 696049)
yeah theres a rear ended wrecked SS at a scrapyard now that the engine only has 45k on it and its in great condition
its like $400 so i am going to take the engine out if thats the case and put it in my car.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying it's cheaper to buy a Monte with the LS4 already in it, than to swap it into your 2002.

If you are taking the engine out of a totaled car, then you need to buy the whole car, because you will need A LOT of donor parts out of it.

bumpin96monte 10-06-2016 12:04 PM

I totally agree with Chibi. LS4 GXP around here are getting into the $5-6k range. For that price, it's not worth messing with a swap when you can have a car with stock reliability.

It's not as simple as bolting a carb'd SBC into some 80s vehicle, there are a lot of integrated electronic systems on modern cars. The worst case is that you do all kinds of work for the swap and you end up ruining your Monte in the process because you've got things all hacked up and can't get it to work. I've just seen a few too many people try to go down the swap route (back when L67s were the thing) and end up with a basket case car that they sell for pennies or part out.

bumpin96monte 10-06-2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 696050)
If you are taking the engine out of a totaled car, then you need to buy the whole car, because you will need A LOT of donor parts out of it.

X2 on that. If you're serious about doing the swap, just buy the whole thing before people start picking parts off it. If everything falls through, you could always part it out.

The_Maniac 10-07-2016 09:29 AM

I have seen at the Monte Nationals, someone who took a '00-'05 and put the exterior '06-'07 body pieces on it. If that can be done, you could go the other way around with it. That's another option.

There have been a 1 or 2 people to swap a LS4 into a '00-'05, but as mentioned, it's not a small task like a carborated car (pre-fuel injection, engine swaps were far simpler, they did not have various systems that had to work together like they do now).
If your heart is set on it and you have access to a wrecked car, I agree, buy the entire car. Then you have trans, subframe, engine, wiring, and all the integrated computer systems to pick apart and transfer over.

l67ss 10-07-2016 02:08 PM

youll have to add brackets to the subframe for the motor mounts